Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2008, 04:14 PM   #21
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
We put the JT stabilizers on before our first trip and love them. We had a Springdale TT before and no matter what we did it bounced and wiggled. Got our JTs from RV Wholesaler for $299 including shipping and would not want to be without them.
Sharon
www.rvwholesalers.com

krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #22
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Like has been said, its a matter of personal comfort. If the movement doesn't bother you then no need for spending money. But if it does bother then something needs to be done. That was our case. And, as richfaa & others said, if you stay in one place for a long time then the time to set up is not very important. We recently returned from our 2nd 3month long trip from Calif. to the east coast & back & believe me, setting up and taking down got to be real old. That was when I began to appreciate our stabilizer setup even more. With all the places we went we probably didn't stay more than a few nights in more than half a dozen locations. Having the stabilizers permanently in place meant only having to tighten 3 knobs after putting the jacks down & not having to mess with getting out & setting up other gear. Worth it to us. mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:41 AM   #23
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
Just can say ditto. We installed the JT's and love them. Used jack stands on our two month trip with multiple set-ups and got real tired of the setting up with (depending upon the terrain) various results. Not to mention we had to store the jacks somewhere. The stabilizers are self storing and easy to use. Easy, that's what I like!!!
JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:14 AM   #24
quarrles
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7626
Carol thanks for Al's opinion about front stabilizers aiding in grounding of FW, but his opinion does not agree wholly with those of SOF (some other forum). Guess if there are two or more there will be two or more opinions.

Thanks again....John
quarrles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:32 AM   #25
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
quarrles

Al earned our measly retirement check by being an electrican in his former working life. When he tells me the grounding comes from the pole, I type his answer, I don't question!

Since I read ONLY this forum, maybe you could let us all know what they say you are supposed to do to ground the rig??

Or, , am I having another one of those senior moments and just don't understand??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:23 AM   #26
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
There is no significant grounding value gained by simply resting the landing gear on the surface, but the details probably belong in a new topic.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:43 AM   #27
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I must say when we started our adventure in 5th wheels. I bought hundreds of dollars of gadgets we didn't need and most didn't work. As for movement we have owned three different 5th wheels and all had movement. After all the money we wasted on things that didn't work, we now have a storage building full of things that don't work.

We have finaly determined that the best thing for movement cost wise, is Roto Chocks, stacker jacks and blocks for the rear electric jacks. The blocks for the rear are 4, 2/10, 12 inches long and bolted together. That prevents the rear jacks from being extended out to for. The Roto Chocks stop move front to rear. The Stacker jack in front and to the rear of the axles under the frame prevents the up and down movement. However it will not stop all the movement. A block foundation will stop the movement, you have to get the 5th wheel tires off the ground, and a block foundation is the only way to prevent movement. This is my experience dealing with 5th wheel movement. Good Luck.... GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:29 AM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quarrles

Carol thanks for Al's opinion about front stabilizers aiding in grounding of FW, but his opinion does not agree wholly with those of SOF (some other forum). Guess if there are two or more there will be two or more opinions.

Thanks again....John
I don't know what other forums say but electrical grounding is not really a subjective topic. Either it is properly grounded or it is not. If it is properly grounded then Carol and Al are correct.

If the landing gear are providing electrical ground then there is a problem with the rig not providing the proper ground as it should.

I would think, also, that if the ground is improper and the landing gear are providing the ground, then touching a metal frame part on the rig while standing barefoot would definitely give one a shock.

I don't know the RVIA standards but I'd bet providing an electrical ground via the landing gear does not meet the standards.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #29
quarrles
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7626
Funny thing. One person voices an opinion and is thanked for it and then begins to flame the person who thanked them. Two others jump in the fray to further castigate the questioner. this is really some kind of place and some of you are some kind of people. Too much time on your hands?

I guess I posted out of topic, sorry....John
quarrles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #30
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
quarrles,

Not sure if I was the one you think was flaming. I am sorry if that is what you think, cause I was not. I have been having some health issues for the last month, and my normally clouded thinking is even more clouded, so, my question about, "do I understand" was an honest reaction to how things are with me lately.

I agree with Brad, that this discussion is probably best discussed in a new thread. Gotta say, in all the years I have been participating in the MOC, I don't remember ever having a discussion on grounding, but, then, I have that leaky ole brain stuff going on, and I don't read EVERY thread here at MOC, so, I could have missed it.

I think it would make an interesting thread, but, it might be one of those that provokes the same emotions as "are you over weight", "can you tow safely with a 250 or 2500", and some of the other rather emotional subjects we have discussed here, with a few of those threads eventually getting locked cause they got so emotional, and okkk, a tad snarly/nasty.

I hope you don't think we are gangin up on ya or something, cause we are not, this is how we learn here at MOC, free exchange of thoughts, right, or wrong, loud or soft, good or bad, we read, we argue, we learn.

And, once again, I am sorry, sounds like I am lecturing, SIGHHH.

Again, I think you should start a thread on this grounding thing. It would be good reading.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:03 PM   #31
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dannyl

When I am in the recliner in back or the bed in front I can feel movement when another walks through the RV.
I have the stabilizer jacks up snug and sometimes I'm not unhooked from the TV.
Any thoughts on how to minimize motion in the RV?
I've been giving this a lot of thought and my best recommendation to you Danny is to just trade the whole gosh durn thing in on a spanking new 3400RL!! - Ya Think!

Congratulations!! http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27252
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:43 PM   #32
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Approx. 20" piece of 2x4 under front spring hanger on each side helps reduce frame bounce, and is certainly a cheap solution. I use some tapered shims from Home Depot to wedge the 2x4 in place. (Home Depot cut the wood to length for me).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote