Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2007, 07:27 AM   #1
JBMANN52
Established Member

M.O.C. #6306
Send a message via AIM to JBMANN52
Replacement exterior graphics

Interested to know if anyone has replaced their exterior graphics on the Monty 5er? I/We have a 2002 Model 3670 which we use mostly on weekends and vacations and the rest of the time it sits in the storage facility. The highway side of the unit catches the sun from the west during the heat of the day. Because of this a lot of my graphics have gotten brittle and have started to peal and crack. I have contacted my local dealer and a replacement graphics package is available thru Keystone. I have experience installing vinyl letters and numbers on heavy rental equipment but to remove and reinstall these graphics might be a challenge. I notice under some of the pealing the original bright white original color of my unit and some residue outlining the original graphics. I will also inquire if anyone knows of a product that will restore the gelcoat back to a close to original finish and something that will remove the outlined residue. Thank you in advance.

JBMANN52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
Steve Ryan
Established Member

M.O.C. #2002
Our 2001 2955RL had the same problem.I used a heat gun and a plactic scraper to remove the old graphics.It took me about a weekend to remove just the front and foward sides. I didn't remove the multi-colored strips on the sides. 3M makes a product called "General Purpose Adhesive Remover", I found it at a auto paint store. It will clean off any left over adhesive. That "shadow" from the old graphics helped me in placing the new ones. Spraying down the area of new graphics with soapy water helped too until you squeegee the new graphic.It takes patience and some extra help, too.A buddy of mine has a rolling scafold, that really helped.If you have some experience it will help.I learned by watching two guys that letter and strip the trucks I drive.
I'll use any type of "wax on, wax off" polish to keep it looking as nice as I can. I'm less than a mile from the Pacific Ocean, it's tough to keep anything clean with all the moisture in the air. For any long periods of time I'll cover the fifth wheel.
Good luck with the project.

Steve
Steve Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
JBMANN52
Established Member

M.O.C. #6306
Send a message via AIM to JBMANN52
Thanks, Steve. Very good information especially about the rolling scaffold and the soapy water. If you want to come on over to Georgia we can start on mine.
Barry
JBMANN52 is offline   Reply With Quote