Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Mirror door latch

Our mirror door latches broke on both doors. The Rv supply stores have the latches, but I remember that there was a thread of a better way of securing those mirror closet doors. Can't find it. Please help. Thank You!

Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I bought a package to replace them when they break. I did grind off a bit of the catch side of the plastic so that they are a little easier to operate.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ronnelly

Our mirror door latches broke on both doors. The Rv supply stores have the latches, but I remember that there was a thread of a better way of securing those mirror closet doors. Can't find it. Please help. Thank You!
Ronnelly, here is one of the old thread about the latches.http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=20891
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:31 PM   #4
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Here is where you can get them.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=23676
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Get some "O"rings to fit the screws and put them between the latches and the frame, do not over tighten them. I did that after our latches broke on our first trip and no problem since. I found this on MOC just after we got our Montana.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
If you replace the original closet door latch, try putting a couple of the little rubber faucet washers on the screws under the latch. Screw them back in, but not real tight. Now that stiff old latch flexes a little bit and it is easier to open & close.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:51 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Back in early 2004, when I first heard of these latches breaking, I did buy a set of spares. It is now nearly 4 years later and I am on my second Monty and I have yet to break a latch. The spares are still in my basement in the original packaging.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:24 AM   #8
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I broke one latch then read about using small "O" ring between the latch and the wood. These lets the latch rock rather then flex the plastic. Much easier open and less chance of breaking the plastic latch. I only latch the door when traveling which lessens the flexing of the latch also.
Another concern with the plastic latches is they can cut you, sharp pointed edges. I can’t believe this has not been a safety issue.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:14 AM   #9
dieselman
Established Member

M.O.C. #6615
One thing that will help, that I have found, is to be sure and take the broken one with you. The reason is that the base where the screws go are not all drilled with the same spacing. I bought two extra sets before I got smart and took the broken one with me. Even the Keystone dealer I bought my trailer from had at least two different sizes.

Carle
dieselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:15 AM   #10
dieselman
Established Member

M.O.C. #6615
One thing that will help, that I have found, is to be sure and take the broken one with you. The reason is that the base where the screws go are not all drilled with the same spacing. I bought two extra sets before I got smart and took the broken one with me. Even the Keystone dealer I bought my trailer from had at least two different sizes.

Carle
Old 11-18-2007, 10:16 AM   #11
dieselman
Established Member

M.O.C. #6615

Carle