Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Ok 3650 owners Some Questions

We spent along time today bouncing between three Montanas. The 3295, 3400 and the 3650. We are pretty much convinced that of the 3 plans we like the 3650 1st, 3400 2nd and 3295 third. We did see the 3485 but much preferred the other three. The biggest feature we liked about the 3650 was Windows and kitchen storage, then seperate dining area on down the list.
So 3650 owners I need some info please. I would be towing this with a 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax/Allison long bed extended cab. My current choice for the hitch and pin box are the Reese Hitch and the Trailair or Airborne pin box. Any one using these? Also anyone using the Mor-ryde Pin box and how is the mor-ryde suspension for those that have a unit with it on it?
What is your dry weight and pin weights dry.
If the Trailer says a GVWR of 15500 do you subtract the pin weight from that to determine what the axle wight is? Is 2200 lbs capacity enough for a semi full timer?
Also what has been the big problems if any stand out with these units.
I believe I may have the original tires replaced right off with better grade tires.
All the info you can give is appreciated

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:38 PM   #2
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Bob we got our 3650RK back in July. We had two maiden cruises and a week long trip to the Oregon Coast in October. This is our first RV. It has mor-ryde suspension. I thought it handled real well towing it with my Chevy 3500 D/A. We have a regular pin box and a 16K Husky hitch. We had a couple of minor repairs taken care of under warranty.

Enjoy your new Monte and we'll see ya down the road.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:48 AM   #3
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Hi Bob - We got our 2005 3650R a year and half ago. Were Happy, Lots of counter and cabinet space, we like the seprate dining area and we have not had any problems with draws coming open or dinnerware breakage. We in the RGV Llano Grande RV Resort enjoying it right now..... I don't think you will be sorry in your choice.. I think Steve Regiel, RIchfaa and OZZ a long with others we you get inside and your happy. thanks the one to go with, your the one that has to live in it and haul it down the road... Good Luck. John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:13 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bob, the Mor-Ryde RE suspension is definitely an improvement over the suspension on our prior Montana. The ride is much smoother. We can't tell that when towing but can tell it in how little things move around inside the rig. The old suspension had two inches of travel before bottoming out. The Mor-Ryde has four inches. It glides over bigger bumps before crashing the suspension than the older one did.

GVWR is the mfr's statement as to the max to which you should load the rig. The new Montanas have 7,000 lb axles (ours are 6,000), totaling 14,000 axle rating combined. If you weigh the rig with truck hitched, then weigh the truck without the trailer, the difference is the trailer weight. The pinweight is the difference in the truck weight, hitched and unhitched. Total both truck axles for the truck weight as pinweight can shift some weight onto or off of the front axle, too.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:08 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Three really good choices... We selected (read Helen) the 3400 because of, according to her, the counter space and inside storage. We are long timing and we have plenty of inside space and the unit is very livable. Select the unit that will best meet your individual needs. Out late 06 3400 has the Mor-Ryde suspension and we added the Mor ryde Pin box. Note that the Mor-Ryde and the Trail air/ airborne pin boxes do primarily different things.. Chucking Vs Bouncing so do your home work and decide which you need. It might be a good idea to wait and see how it rides on the Mor Ryde suspension before investing in a Pin box. Our ride is very smooth with the MOr-Ryde set up but others have reported the same with Trail air/ 5th Airborne.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:30 AM   #6
William Schelling
Established Member

M.O.C. #6701
We just purchased a 3650rk a month ago. We love it. We particularly like the windows. One has a great view from anywhere in the RV. That is what sold my wife. The kitchen has a lot of storage and we like the artic package. We took it out in 20 degree weather and where toasty. The fireplace worked very good too.
The More-Ryde suspension is very good also. We had an '05 Wildcat that was verey jerkey and with our new Montana we don't even know it is back there. We were going to get an air 5th wheel but we don't need it. I have never had a rv that road so smoothly.

You will like it. The Montana is a good choice.
William Schelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:42 AM   #7
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Bob, we have had our 3650 since Dec 04 and absolutely love it. The kitchen layout is what sold the wife on this one. I bought a F350 srw 4x4 to pull it. I'm not trying to be the weight police but i don't think your 2500 will be up to the task on the 3650's pin weight.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:34 PM   #8
CampinCanuck

M.O.C. #23698
Hemlock ... have you ever had a wet carpet right in front of the fireplace? I have had it now twice both times after a rainy night;BUT I did have an issue where the sewer flush valve did not produce water from the viewable sewer line and wondered where the water went after flushing for a few minutes. Is it just a coincidence? or rain ? wondering where to start because there is no access panel anywhere to be found and no schematic available to get an idea of how it's plumbed. I replaced the one way valve on city water supply and pulled utility shower panel outside to look inside with negative results. Please let me know if you have had any similar issues.
Randy or Campin Canuck
CampinCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote