Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2018, 04:25 PM   #21
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
High Country Heat Pad Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny and Angie Miller View Post
I have a 2017 353RL Montana High Country. On the interior electrical control panel I have a switch labeled "Tank Heater". I checked the owners manual, and as suspected, no mention of it. My questions are:
1. Is this a pad heater?
2. Which tanks have heaters?
3. Is there a thermostat involved, or is the heater always on if the switch is on? If a thermostat is involved, what is the setpoint, and is it adjustable?
4. Is the heater 12v or 110v?

Thanks for any help
Dear Denny and Angie Miller

1. Yes it is a tank heater
2. The tank heater is only on the fresh water tank. The reasoning is the fresh water tank is the furthest from the furnace which heats all the tanks. The pad was added for additional protection when using the unit in cold weather camping
3. The heat pad has a set point that turns it on and off. I will get you that degree and place it in a separate post.
4. The heat pad is 12v to allow you to use it while traveling down the road.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:54 PM   #22
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
My 330RL has a 12 volt tank heater for the fresh water tank that has a thermostat for it.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:19 AM   #23
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Originally Posted by mootana View Post
Dear Denny and Angie Miller

1. Yes it is a tank heater
2. The tank heater is only on the fresh water tank. The reasoning is the fresh water tank is the furthest from the furnace which heats all the tanks. The pad was added for additional protection when using the unit in cold weather camping
3. The heat pad has a set point that turns it on and off. I will get you that degree and place it in a separate post.
4. The heat pad is 12v to allow you to use it while traveling down the road.

Any further questions, please let me know.
Why I had only 1 switch (and presumably 1 pad heater) was what was bothering/confusing me most....your answer makes total sense...

I would be more likely to use the heater if it operated off a thermostat. Instead of a thermostat setpoint, is there a recommended outdoor temp/windchill the manufacturer recommends use? Does anyone know who the manufacturer and model# is? As in other cases, I suspect Keystone uses various brands/models though. These are the things I wanted to get when the coroplast is down...I can research all my questions with manufacturer & model#.
Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:49 AM   #24
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Among the pile of appliance manuals I have I found one with heater pad instructions. They are 12 v and have a thermostat. They said when it's cold to just turn them on and relax!! We winter in North GA and get freezing temps but I find running the propane furnace keeps the basement above 60F so I can't really see when I would need the tank heaters. Once I did have a dump valve freeze but I don't think a tank heater would have changed that.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:40 AM   #25
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Update

Some of the info I have found:

1. Heat pad is controlled by an integrated (not external, nor adjustable) thermostat that kicks ON @ 45 degrees F tank surface temperature (not air temp) and OFF @ 67 degrees.
2. Heat pad is capable of thawing some freezing tanks (not sure how long that would take though)
3. Heat pad is 12v, X 4.8 amps = 65 Watts
4. Heat pad will function down to -32 degrees F

Special thanks to Scottz for the pic with the brand/model# of the heat pad to facilitate my research.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #26
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Thanks for all the information on this post-thread.

We've had our Montana High Country 375FL for only 6 weeks now. We've lived in the camper since we took possession, between 3 trips and drive way camping. With freezing weather right around the corner, I'm skeptical what I can expect out of the new camper. We'd like to continue using the camper until Thanksgiving week. We have our last trip of the year scheduled for Louisiana the week of Thanksgiving and would like to winterize on our return from that trip. This gives me a lot of assurance that temps reaching the 32 degree temperature mark will be no problem for this new 5er.

-32F is an impressive number. But with our short experience already, we've burned through 4 - 30 pound tanks of propane already, plus supplementing with the fireplace and a space heater. I can't imagine how much propane it would take to keep the underbelly and all warm at -32! ... maybe a 30 pound tank every day?

Thanks for the information! And fyi, I didn't get any documentation on my heaters. I suppose we're expected to go to the manufacturers web site and pull down PDF's now, with absolutely everything. Same with the refrigerator. No info provided by the dealer.
DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #27
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Please note the -32F reference is the lowest tested operating temperature the PAD heater will function....That is NOT a temperature your camper is "safe" from freezing...Just want to make sure that is clear.

We use the fireplace, the heat pump, and a small oscillating ceramic heater in the bedroom. (all 110 volt) Outside temperature this week has been down to 40 and we have been fine w/o using the furnace (propane). We will see temps in the mid to upper 20's later this week...we will switch over to the furnace when the temp is below freezing to keep the underbelly area warm, otherwise we'll stay on 110v heating sources to save on propane. I also added another small ceramic space heater to the basement area...i'm hoping some of that warm air will find it's way into the underbelly area
Old 11-04-2018, 01:28 PM   #28
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Seems to me that you could disconnect from shore power and while on battery only, turn the tank heater on and see what kind of draw you get on the battery. From the picture posted above the 12V heater draws 4 amps so you should see some voltage drop on the battery when turned on. If the switch turns on three heaters then you will surely see 12Amp draw.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:05 AM   #29
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Hey Denny,
We were hopping to beat the weather that’s on the way but that’s Missouri
We’re starting to think about close up. Still have 2 weeks planned ( deer season) before winterizing.
We haven’t used propane yet but it’s coming.
Hope winter is mild here but we’re headed to Mexico December- March
Be safe and keep warm.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #30
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMOTraveler View Post
Hey Denny,
We were hopping to beat the weather that’s on the way but that’s Missouri
We’re starting to think about close up. Still have 2 weeks planned ( deer season) before winterizing.
We haven’t used propane yet but it’s coming.
Hope winter is mild here but we’re headed to Mexico December- March
Be safe and keep warm.
We are currently at a state park south of Rolla....it's going to be down to 22 degrees fri night/sat morning. This is it for us this season, we will be heading home Sunday.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:11 PM   #31
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Just wanted to say thanks for the info given here. We just purchased a 2019 310RE and the dealer's walk through guy could not answer my questions about the tank heater. Now I know.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:46 AM   #32
Christal
Established Member

M.O.C. #25948
hi! was wondering if you figured out anything more on the tank heaters. I have 3 switches for grey black and fresh and the 1st time i turned them on they lit up blue. Since then they haven't and I they are turned on and the temp outside was 18 degrees. I jus want to know if they have to be lit up to know they are working. Or if they are actually working.
Thanks for any input you might have learned and for sharing.
Christal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:16 AM   #33
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christal View Post
hi! was wondering if you figured out anything more on the tank heaters. I have 3 switches for grey black and fresh and the 1st time i turned them on they lit up blue. Since then they haven't and I they are turned on and the temp outside was 18 degrees. I jus want to know if they have to be lit up to know they are working. Or if they are actually working.
Thanks for any input you might have learned and for sharing.
My understanding is when you turn on the switch it should light up blue. That just means the heater is on, no necessarily heating. Once the temp get down below around 40 it should start heating. If your switches are not lighting up I would check fuses.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote