Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #21
CanalesPac
Established Member

M.O.C. #21018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk View Post
I use a Pirit heated water hose and it has performed well. The coldest I've experienced was -1 degrees.

Also, if you're preparing for winter, I would suggest skirting your fiver.
We’re in the market for a heated hose, but have two significant questions: can this be our all time hose (we’re going to be parked for a long time) in north Texas where we can see all types of weather in a single day. We don’t anticipate long stretches of freeze, but I’ve been surprised before. We can safely assume it will hit 100+ for weeks at a time in the summer it’s already in the 40s today. We need a longer hose as it is, so I was thinking we could just use the 50’ Pirit hose year-round. What are your thoughts? Also a concern is the distance from the water faucet to the electrical outlet - I seriously doubt it will reach without modification to the box or an extension cord. What have you all done for that so that you don’t void your warranty?

CanalesPac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #22
Mtncrash1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21598
You can use it year round. Just unplug it in the summer. In colder temps the thermostat that’s attached will turn it on and off. I believe they turn on at 40-45. As far as hooking it to an extension cord,I can’t give you an answer as I have always been close enough to plug into the pedestal.

2017 HC 345RL
2015 F-250
Mtncrash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #23
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalesPac View Post
We’re in the market for a heated hose, but have two significant questions: can this be our all time hose (we’re going to be parked for a long time) in north Texas where we can see all types of weather in a single day. We don’t anticipate long stretches of freeze, but I’ve been surprised before. We can safely assume it will hit 100+ for weeks at a time in the summer it’s already in the 40s today. We need a longer hose as it is, so I was thinking we could just use the 50’ Pirit hose year-round. What are your thoughts? Also a concern is the distance from the water faucet to the electrical outlet - I seriously doubt it will reach without modification to the box or an extension cord. What have you all done for that so that you don’t void your warranty?
Q1 - yes, as mentioned, unplug as needed
Q2 - N/A for me. I plug into post. I would think an appropriately rated outdoor
extension cord would work fine. Warranty - contact company or just keep
it to yourself.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #24
cliff
Established Member

M.O.C. #12209
I would go with an extension cord to plug into the pedestal box. Just make sure it is over 14 gauge. This keeps that electric mostly out of the RV and you don't have to modify anything.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:53 AM   #25
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
I leave mine plugged in from Oct thru May, temp running from teens and twenty's into the high 80's. They don't actually draw that much power but I would be sure to use and extension rated for an a/c unit. At least 14ga., best a 12 ga. and would keep the length below 15 feet. If a longer run I would make up and extension using solid 12 ga. house wiring.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:58 PM   #26
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If using an extension cord with the hose, and you are plugged into a GFI protected outlet, make sure you waterproof or otherwise protect the connection where the hose plug connects to the extension cord, because it will likely get wet when it rains, and will trip the GFI, and it it by chance gets below freezing after the GFI trips, your hose will freeze up.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camco, hose, winter