Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2015, 03:01 PM   #1
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
Colorado, NM, Utah, Oklahoma City camp grounds

We are planning a trip out lower west around 9/7/15 and would like some opinions on campgrounds that you could recommend. Looking around Oklahoma City, OK, Albuquerque, Durango, Colorado Springs, Denver, Moab, Utah, Las Vegas to name a few. Would appreciate any advice.

Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
We really like the Denver (Aurora) state park - Cherry Creek. Full hookups, very big sites and wifi. However, when looking at price, there is also a park entrance fee you must pay, so it ends up a bit expensive.
We stayed in Tulsa, Ok at a campground at a race track near the north end of town (I think). Very large open spaces. Quiet unless a race is happening (I would guess). Pretty much a wide, flat, treeless campground. But there is the race track restaurant an easy walk away.

A good stopover place is the KOA in Raton, NM. Good sites and walking distance to a couple of restaurants. Grocery and shopping stores across the highway.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #3
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
Where in Utah??, Moab,we camped at Arch view Resort. Close to parks, fuel, propane , etc. We are going back there in early October.
09 2955rl,5 Sailun 637 , Mor ryde wet bolt kit, 50 amp progressive hard wired surge protector, solar , 4-6 volt Interstate batteries, charge indicator, HD tow hitch ,2-2000w Honda generators, Back up camera,2015 F-350,6.7,
air bags,, 50 gallon Titan Pace Edwards bed cover, TST 507-FT
Keith Schweizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:00 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I assume you are traveling I-40 either going or coming. We have stayed at the OKC KOA, about 3-4 miles east of OKC just off I-40 and would again if we were in the area.

Also on I-40 and on the western edge of Amarillo we have stayed multiple times at Ft Amarillo RV Resort. Again just off I-40. DW loves the collectibles gift shop there, and that usually costs me more than the site itself.

We have often stayed 2 - 2 1/2 weeks at a time at Fun Valley Family RV Resort just outside of South Fork, CO. But that is only 2 hours or so east of Durango and you would probably not be ready for another stop that soon. And they actually close for the season mid September.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:14 AM   #5
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I would recommend Santa Fe over Albuquerque if you have a choice--stay at Santa Fe Skies. In Moab, we have stayed at the KOA and at Spanish Trail. We really like both Santa Fe and Moab--visit almost every year. Enjoy them both.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:20 AM   #6
poloace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13649
Colorado Springs - Cheyenne mountain state park. Full hookups
Durango - United campground.
Moab - Dead horse state park. Its about 15 mi from Moab, but the views are great.
poloace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:38 AM   #7
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
Thanks everyone, really appreciate the replies.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Send a message via AIM to stengels
American RV in Albuquerque was a nice park. Stayed there in May. The one next door, High Desert, also looked very good. Both on the West side of the city.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
Durango - Alpen Rose is a nice place and convenient to a lot.
Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #10
onekla
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12436
On the western edge of Amarillo is Oasis RV Park. It was an easy off/on the interstate. The sites were level concrete, the restroom/shower was all in one private room and there was a Pilot, I think, at that exit - convenient. Check in was one of the friendliest we had ever encountered. We highly recommend this park for an over nighter.

While in Moab, we stayed at Moab Valley RV Park. The sites were gravel, but pretty level, was a gated park and close to town and fuel as well. We would stay there again too.

We went north of Durango, around Hermosa to Durando Riverside RV Resort & Park. We were in a level gravel site that backed up to the Animas River. I loved this place. The sound of the river was so relaxing. We liked site 17. Have stayed at the Durango KOA but didn't like it as well. Seems like it was pretty tight and it may be that on that trip we were in a pop-up and it could have been just that section that was tight. It was in 2001 and I remember it was dusty.

All the other parks were with our 5th wheel(s).
onekla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:20 AM   #11
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Quote:
quote:I would recommend Santa Fe over Albuquerque if you have a choice--stay at Santa Fe Skies
Quote:
quote:Colorado Springs - Cheyenne mountain state park.
I would heartily agree with the above.

Quote:
quote:A good stopover place is the KOA in Raton, NM
We have never stayed here because we like to go on up to the top of Raton Pass and stay at the campground right at the top. Used to be called "Cedar Rail," but I think now the name is simply "Raton Pass Campground." We must have stayed there a dozen times on the way to Colorado.

We usually stay at the "Overnight RV Park" in Amarillo. It is right at the intersection of I-40 with the North Loop we take around the city, so it is the most convenient on our way to NM, CO.

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote