Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
new era of broadcast

Since the advent of digital broadcast, has anyone decided that it is sufficient or still need satellite reception?

I cut the satellite at my stick home here in the boonies and so far I am satisfied with the on-air reception. I get all 4 major stations and some local weather channels and PBS.

illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Illapah,
For us it is not a matter of digital vs analog but rather one of expanded choice. Also there are times when we are some place where the local channels are fringe at best. And we love the DNS feature allowing us to get the east coast stuff.

Satellite television is one of those very personal decision processes. If we suddenly did not have satellite TV the world would still keep turning. And we'd probably be better off. It would certainly save us some money and would get us out to see more things and meet more people. But until satellite TV goes away or we can no longer afford to have it I suspect we'll be lugging the tripod and dish and cables!

Whatever works for you is what you should do.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
If I could be convinced that the reception of local stations would be such that I would not get that pixelating (new word) that occurs when the signal strength is low, I would just need the regular TV stations. My DW on the other hand would have a fit if she couldn't get the Food channel and HGTV.

To many times we have been in fringe areas and TV reception was non-existent with the new digital broadcast. When the signal is there, it's great, but there is no in-between. You either have a strong signal and a picture, or you have a weak signal and no picture.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We use the antenna that came on our Montana, we have been in over 40 locations with digial.
One place we had no reception. All the others we had between 12 and 60 stations.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I am 100% satellite committed. I don't even know how to get OTA stations. Since we are full timing, we have no loyalty to any "local" stations and are completely satisfied with the East and West coast feeds we get from DirectTV. We are "Fox Hounds" anyway. DW even hates it if we have to use a local cable feed due to being under the trees and not able to get sat.

I do enjoy the "Choice thing" as Hamrad, however, DW is always saying there is nothing on. I just say 250 channels and nothing on? How could that be? To each his own.........

BTW: I think it is only the Marine guys that live on the "Fringe". That was for you Wayne. lol
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
So far, since we are paying for the satellite opportunity we use it everywhere. We don't even try anything else. It's our personal choice. Unlike Illapah, I need my MTV and Spike channels at night when I'm trying to relax. Just kidding, it's for other channels I won't mention. Okay I'll have to mention History Channel or Military Channel - what were you thinking?

With a portable dish as long as no one walks away with it we will park anywhere and with over 100' of wire I can set that baby up pretty much anywhere. Case in point! Camped outside Yosemite amongst the big trees and our neighbors with the $100,000 and up rigs and their $1000-$2,500 automated signal finders were "dark" because roof mountings amongst the trees aren't worth squat. I ran my dish down the hill and voila, we were watching cartoons on Sunday morning. I have a dual LNB and one neighbor watched me in astonishment and after acquiring the signal I offered him a connection (I offered up the wire, too) but he declined because he was leaving the next day. Plus he said he was catching up on reading and talking with his wife.

At least Illapah won't have to worry about that problem. And with the money saved he probably eats out a lot more than we do.

Enjoy your choice!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We have two homes that we go back and forth to. We pay for cable at both.
When we go in our Montana we go to enjoy nature, not to watch TV. It would be different
if we were full timers. We also have a Automaic Dome on the Montana, we just don`t care to connect it.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Art -- The only portable dishes I've seen that were stolen are the ones on the nice manufactured, shiny tripods. If someone wants to come along and take mine along with the dirty old piece of 2x8 that it's screwed on to, then they are really hard up. There is not much of a market out there for this kind of device. Especially when the dish is all "dinged up" and has "droppings" on it!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote