Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Digital TV Replacement

We're getting ready to replace our TV set. I know there are a lot of different brands and every one of us has our own brand likes and dislikes. Is there a consensus on the brand that most people like? I've looked at Sharp and Vizio and both seem to be very good. What are your opinions? I know that we all think ours is the best, but I'm looking for a consensus.

Thanks, Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:50 AM   #2
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I have the LG LCD and it is a very nice unit. Was a bit pricey at the time I bought. If I were to buy right now, thinking it would be the Samsung. Great picture and a good price.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
We have replaced 4 TV's in the past two years with HD units. After researching a bit, we decided on Samsung. The first two were 720 and the last two were 1040. The 720's looked good, the 1040's looked outstanding. Even after several months, when I see the 1040 in the living room I'm amazed by the picture. Of course the signal has to be in HD for you to notice a difference. When we replace the trailer TV's, it will be Samsung.

You need to be aware of one thing however! To get the most out of HD, you need to use a HDMI connection/cable. Unfortunately, someone in the industry failed to do their homework because HDMI does not support closed caption! I hope this gets 'fixed' and doesn't require new equipment other than the cable/satellite receiver, but for now it does not work.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:05 AM   #4
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Orv:

I have tried a couple of brands. I like the Sony systems best. We also have a Toshiba. The Sony is easy to program and when you change the channels to a higher or lower number, there is not a delay of a few seconds. The Toshiba has a delay between the channels. Another feature of the Sony that I like is the name of the program (program ID) that you will be watching comes on when you change the channel just for a few seconds. Both are good units, but I just like the Sony features better.... Another note as you probably know, being from the electronics field..... HD or Digital TV's do not like extreme tempertures (HOT or COLD). It cuts the life of the units considerably. I bring mine in to stick house during the winter months. You shouldn't have a problem being a full timer...JB in Iowa
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:49 AM   #5
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Tom, I have 4 HD tv's hooked up to Direct TV via HDMI, 2 in the stick house and 2 in the Big Sky, and I dont have a problem with closed caption on any of them.
Bill

The last 2 I purchased were Samsung, they are excellant.
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:04 AM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We have Panasonic tvs in the house, very nice, dependable and pricey too. This past summer we put a Sony in the RV and as I agree with Jack's thoughts I would buy another Sony in a heartbeat.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:12 AM   #7
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We bought a cheap 32" Vizio at Walmart. It has been towed over 7,000 miles this year with no problems.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:18 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Orv,

Last week we bought a 26" Samsung, Series 3 360. We paid $398 at WM, think they are cheaper today.

The best part is that it sits right on top of the DVR and fills the space perfectly without having to use a TV bracket.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:33 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by William H. Collier

Tom, I have 4 HD tv's hooked up to Direct TV via HDMI, 2 in the stick house and 2 in the Big Sky, and I dont have a problem with closed caption on any of them.
Bill

The last 2 I purchased were Samsung, they are excellant.
Bill - weird!? Neither ours or my dad's will display them, and there are numerous posts on the net about it. I wonder what makes yours work and ours not???? Can you shed any light?

PS, Sorry Orv, didn't mean to hi-jack your thread!

EDIT: I did some investigation via Google and here is what I found out. HDMI does not support the signal used for close captioning. However if your cable / satellite box has closed caption capabilities (apparently many do), you should be able to use it and display the captions with the HDMI setup. One complaint was noted in several places about the Comcast DVR box which requires turning the box off and on to reach the needed menu for CC each time you want to turn it on or off.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-28-2009, 06:12 AM   #10
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
we now have 3 visio's in the stick house, they all have been very good picture quality for the money. The only thing stuck in my mind would be the traveling, I don't know how you can research that,except here. there seems to be many that have changed out their sets and have traveled many miles. Thats what I would look for.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have 4 Samsungs, and are kinda thinking about a 24" Samsung to replace the 19" Sanmsung int he bedroom since we have a larger bedroom with the 2nd slide we will be getting a larger Tv. All our Samsungs are HD's. For those who haven't heard the LED's are out and will be replacing the LCD's will it ever end???? GBY.......
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
QUOTE BY TOM S: We have replaced 4 TV's in the past two years with HD units. After researching a bit, we decided on Samsung. The first two were 720 and the last two were 1040. The 720's looked good, the 1040's looked outstanding. Even after several months, when I see the 1040 in the living room I'm amazed by the picture. Of course the signal has to be in HD for you to notice a difference. When we replace the trailer TV's, it will be Samsung.

Tom, you must be looking forward to Tax time as you refer to your 1080p TV's as the well known tax form 1040. You must be anxious to file this year. lol Just busting your chops!!!!! Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #13
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Just got a Vizio model 320 (1080p, 32 inch) at Costco yesterday, brought it home and compared it side by side with our Samsung, took it back and got a Samsung 32 inch, 720p. Better picture, much friendlier remote control, and cheaper.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:28 AM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

QUOTE BY TOM S: We have replaced 4 TV's in the past two years with HD units. After researching a bit, we decided on Samsung. The first two were 720 and the last two were 1040. The 720's looked good, the 1040's looked outstanding. Even after several months, when I see the 1040 in the living room I'm amazed by the picture. Of course the signal has to be in HD for you to notice a difference. When we replace the trailer TV's, it will be Samsung.

Tom, you must be looking forward to Tax time as you refer to your 1080p TV's as the well known tax form 1040. You must be anxious to file this year. lol Just busting your chops!!!!! Phil
Yeah, my 'uncle' has made sure he's always on my mind!!!!

EDIT: Let me add that I also researched the difference between LCD and Plasma and found out that LCD was best for under 50" and plasma was best for 50" and above. I'm not too sure anyone is going to put a 50" TV in their trailer, but my point is it's not worth paying extra for the plasma unless you're 'going big'.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:24 AM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by firetrucker

Just got a Vizio model 320 (1080p, 32 inch) at Costco yesterday, brought it home and compared it side by side with our Samsung, took it back and got a Samsung 32 inch, 720p. Better picture, much friendlier remote control, and cheaper.

Bob
See what happens when you do REAL research? We like our new Samsung, too.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:25 AM   #16
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
The old theoretical and empirical research approach, Robbie. We always narrow down our choices before making a purchase, then, whenever possible, buy from Costco so we can get it home and try it out. What you see in the store or in the ads is seldom how things really work.
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:33 AM   #17
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Samsung 32" here. Purchased at Wal Mart and love it.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #18
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I've been doing a lot of research for my next HDTV, about a month now. Started off looking to upgrade the Sylvania in the monty. Then somehow it switched to the tv in our house. Along the way i learned some things. I started off looking at LCD. Then found out there is LCD/LED. This is an LCD with LED backlight. This enhances the overall picture over fluorescent backlight.
Some companies place the LED around the edge and others across the whole background. Some even change colors to match the display colors. All making for a great picture. Then somehow I started reading about plasma. Plasmas are rated as good as LCD, in some cases better. Plasmas life span is equal to LCD. The refresh rate is better. Plasma have kept up with the times. Best of all plasmas are cheaper then LCD. I'm eyeing a 58" Samsung or Panasonic in the $1800 to $2000 price range. It seems the big players in HDTV are Samsung and Panasonic. From what I've read Pioneer is the best (KURO), but they are getting out of the TV business and sticking with audio. So for me I want the most bang for my buck and that will be plasma. The other thing i noticed is a lot the the tv's that are at great prices now are the older series models. If I remember correctly older series Panasonics are the S1,G10 newer V10. for Samsung older is 5 series and newest up to the 9 series. A good place to start your research is CNET and HDGURU, have fun.

PS If you want to wait lcd will go away to make room for the OLED. Right now you can but one for about $2000. For a 10" screen!!!!!!

Swanny
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:08 AM   #19
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Swanny-- I was down in the electronics section of one large furniture stores here in Omaha and I asked about the difference between plasma, lcd and leds and was told the plasma is actually a projection tv and it projects the image onto a plasma screen where the lcd and the led, which is the newest, are liquid crystal and actually use the crystals to pick up the electrical charges and portray them within themselves on the screen. Now that's what they told me and who am I to doubt them when I'm just a retired mailman!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #20
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Well, with all of that said, we sure like our $398.00 HDTV LCD SAMSUNG 26" television from WalMart. When this one breaks, we'll do some more research and buy what we need, 'cause I'm just an old retired IT guy who knows nothing about TV's.