Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #1
gtg935w

M.O.C. #9688
Building a Surround Sound System

I have a 2002 3295RK that I purchased a few months back to tow around as I move from job site to job site. I have just about gotten to the point where I am satisfied with all of my 'renovations' except one last item, I would like to wire up a surround sound system for my living room TV. I have looked into several options and I have just about decided to go with a 5.1 channel system using a wireless receiver for the back 2 channels, however, if at all possible I would like to steer clear of the wireless receiver and directly hardwire the back channels to the front receiver. The issue I am running into is this: I want to mount my rear speakers in my living room slide (the Montana here http://www.classyrv.com/57815 looks almost identical to mine, minus the fireplace), however, I can't figure out what the best way to run the wire is so that when I operate the slide I don't rip cables out of my walls or my electronics. I haven't gotten to the point where I have removed any of the paneling to see how keystone wired the speakers from the stereo into the bedroom, but I figured if Keystone did it there had to be a way. I was just curious if anyone had ever attempted to wire their own system, and to get any input you might have.

gtg935w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Both of your slides have a 4" flat plastic piece on the rear end of the slides. That is where Keystone route wires (speaker, electrical) and Propane on the kitchen slide. That is the place I would use for transition of your wires from slide to main body.

Hope this helps.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:22 AM   #3
gtg935w

M.O.C. #9688
Ah, perfect, this is what I was looking for. Thanks!
Old 09-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Looking at the photos of the similar Monty, aren't those speakers already mounted in the ends of the cabinets in the slide?
On edit: that may be another difference between your unit and the one pictured. Regardless, you'll want a loudspeaker on the wall behind and forward of the lazy boy shown in the photo. Somebody else here put four speakers across the back of the listening area, which I think is a good solution. In your case, three in the slide and one forward of the slide.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm thinking of going with the Bose 3:1 system. two small speakers and one woofer.

Just curious why you would want the 5 speaker system?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:33 AM   #6
gtg935w

M.O.C. #9688
KathyandDave: Yea I have a have the stereo system already installed, however, when I fired it up I noticed I was getting a lot of interference in the left speakers (facing the stereo), both the one in the slide and the one in the bedroom. I removed the stereo and cleaned the connections but that didn't seem to fix the issue. I decided that for what I would probably spend replacing the unit I might as well just install a true surround sound system rather than just trying to fake it.

Waynem: Meh, I had a decent setup in my apartment back in Atlanta so you can say I am pretty spoiled. I think the the 5.1 channel system is superior because of the added depth you get to you sound. With a 3 channel system you have 2 speakers in the front (or the back depending on your preference) and the sub, with the 5.1 channel you have 3 speakers in front, 2 in the back, and the sub. This gives the listener the experience of actually being in the center of whatever it is you are listening to, whereas with the 3 channel you are only getting sound from 2 directions (vs. the 5 directions with the 5.1 channel). Granted Bose does a REALLY good job with their 3 channel system, but it just doesn't compare.