Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Directv Vent(FIXED)

Last Monday our year old HD/DVR took a dump and ceased to function, I called DTV support and got the usual runaround but finally talked to someone that could help. They sent out a "new" DVR which was actually re manufactured. Not sure when it was "re manufactured" but the box was very dusty and had water stains and wrinkles all over it. plugged it in and got it running and setup with DTV. After an hour of use it shuts down and resets itself. It gets about 20 seconds into a reset and starts all over again. So I spent another 60 minutes on the phone with DTV tech support and am told that they can't send out a trouble call to an RV but they can send one out when we get home. I told them that ain't gonna happen for three weeks and that we would change to Dish before we tolerated that. I am now waiting for a callback from management and another song and dance. If they had sent out a "NEW" unit I doubt that this would be happening. I paid for a new unit 9 months ago. Their excuse is that "we always send out Re Man units". I have been with these putzes for 11 years and never had this problem before. If they would agree to send out a brand new HD/DVR then this may get settled without a service change or even if they would send out a service call, but their "policy" is to not to send out service calls to RVs. If I wand a service tech to come out and work through this problem I have to pay for it. Even though I have had their in home service for close to 8 years. Just another way to stick it to the customer... Dave (update) Basically they said that I am on my own, the refuse to send out another DVR and that I have to pay for a service call unless I drive all the way back to Wisconsin. Anybody got a number for Dish Network? (Update#2), called again this morning and talk to a nice gentleman out in South Dakota. He changed my account address to here and is sending a DTV tech out tomorrow between noon and 4. Whoever said it was right, it all depends on who you talk to. This guy said not a problem that he has delt with RV problems before and it is a "grey area" but it can be done. Patience is the way to go, but when they have you twisted into a knot it is hard to be patient. Tomorrow will tell!

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Funny, they sent a service man out to my rv to install my service. I took the equipment and did it myself. Get the phone number off the side of Ron's service truck and call them. Might work, don't know. Dish is at 1-866-749-2658
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Dish uses re-mans also, BTDT. Don't know about service to a RV.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
deadeyenevermisses
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9268
I'm just curious, is your DVR box registered with Directv as being installed in your RV? And if so, are you paying for DNS service thru a commercial drivers license? We had a similar issue in Great Falls last year nd hey sent a tech out.
deadeyenevermisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Dave, that is really weird. When we upgraded to the HD/DVR in April DTV had a tech come to the RV, install the system, set up our Slimline Dish and verify that everything worked. I hope they start treating you better.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Dave we had the same issue when we were down South last winter with a HDTV receiver. Were told they wouldn't send out a repair man unless we paid, but when we got home they would come out. And they did and we also had a HDTV put into the bedroom and yes we paid for a re-manufactured reeceiver. And was told they always use the re-maunfactored receivers? Customer service has changed? They sent out a repairman to install our HDTV in 2007, and was told they didn't install in a RV. I then told them to discontinue our service and was then told they would have to install the dish on a in-ground pole, ok do it. Next day I put it on a Tri-pod and its been that way since then. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Dave,
If you do have to buy one, you can get one at Amazon or other stores. I guess you then give DirectTV information on the new receiver and they reprogram the card. Saves $5 a month.

Edited: DISH has their problems also. When I call to get something changed and it is refused, I just call back and get a different telephone person. Eventually I'll get one that knows what I want and will do it. I call it the first "monkey" out of the barrel syndrome. They are not smart sometimes, so you have to call back and try to get a smart one to pop up.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Wayne, we bought the DVR outright from Directv last year, I should not have to pay another 300 to get another POS. I am calling the local DTV installer tomorrow, he will come out and find that the DRV they sent is also a POS and HE can call them and tell them that it is the DVR and not my rig. They won't listen to me so I have to get an installer to say the same thing. The way I see it is that they now have a 300 dollar DVR of mine and I have a broke ass DVR from them. I just need to get my 300 dollars back or a working DRV... Dave
Old 06-12-2009, 05:07 AM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
(Update#2), called again this morning and talk to a nice gentleman out in South Dakota. He changed my account address to here and is sending a DTV tech out tomorrow between noon and 4. Whoever said it was right, it all depends on who you talk to. This guy said not a problem that he has dealt with RV problems before and it is a "grey area" but it can be done. Patience is the way to go, but when they have you twisted into a knot it is hard to be patient. Tomorrow will tell!
Old 06-13-2009, 02:54 AM   #10
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have found the same thing happening with Direct TV. It is all in who you talk to.

It used to be that when we got to an area where we would be for at least a week we would call and tell them to change our billing address to the zip code where we were and then we would get the local channels in that area. Now they tell us that Direct TV stopped that this past year. The lady we talked to even told us that Dish Network would still do that for us we we wanted to switch. We get our bill online so it is only a matter of punching a couple of buttons to get the local channels. I'll bet if we called a couple more times the next person would switch it for us. We really would like to have the weather report coming from a location where we are and not just the East or West Coast.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is frustrating but you just need to keep calling till you find someone who knows the system.. The turn over must be very high at Directv and the training minimal. The local chanel thing is a example.. 5 pepole will tell you it can't be done then the 6th one will say..no problem and tell you how to do it. We always get the local channels when in Florida and the locals when home in Ohio.For awhile I could do it on line but it did not work on our latest road trip.????? Operator error (me) or something changed.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Well the DTV installer came by here this morning 2 hours earlier than the 12 to 4 they scheduled but he was driving by and I was glad to see him. He didn't have a replacement DVR with him but called the shop and found one on a truck in Cambridge. He went out to finish his other jobs and picked up the DVR on the way. He just left and we have a brand new DVR one model upgraded and everything works AND we now have the Boston Local channels. I will hold off changing my address back to Wi. till we get farther west. great service and we are back on the air. I asked about the Single Wire LNB system and he said that they have a lot of extra problems with that system and that they are going back to the multi-wire LNB because they are more robust and less prone to electrical problems... Dave
Old 06-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #13
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Dave, thanks for the heads up on the single wire LNB problems. So far ours has worked fine; in fact, we had a new software download happen last night. Don't know what it was for, but it just downloaded itself. I'm glad you finally got a good resolution.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #14
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Great news Dave...hope this one last you. MY HD-DVR has to be rebooted every so often think it is a problem with the HR-21.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #15
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
These were HR20-100s The second was a loss right out of the box. The new one is a HR22 and it is black like all the rest of the entertainment goodies. No more big silver boat anchor in there...Dave
Old 06-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #16
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Dave, we have the HR22 here in NC at our home. Couln't get the single wire, as we have 2 other regular receivers that are not HD and they are older models I think D10's. The installer has the LNB for single wire that he sells separately for $70 but for the reason stated he had to install the extra wire.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:26 AM   #17
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Oh why did you drudge up bad memories of "making the switch to HD" with direct TV. All of your comments pale to the nightmare I endured last year, but after the investors and presidents office got wind, my next installer was the company owner and finally fixed the problem.

As for your box resetting, this was our first set of problems. After the 4th box, they decided it must be something else. Turned out the dish was pointing right at a tree and they relocated and it has worked perfect ever since. I know this does not help with a mobile setup but I bet it has to do with the HD satellite setup instead. Good luck and I feel your pain.

One of the posters mentioned getting the local weather wherever they are. I found that if you go to the standard definition (SD) channel of the weather channel, you can push the red button on the remote and enter the zip code. Now you have local weather, radar and other things. I use this every stop. Last week we found ourselves in a severe weather situation, went to that channel, went to local radar and watched the storm live as it passed just north of us.
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote