Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2009, 07:24 AM   #1
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Dish Vs. DirecTV

I now have an HDTV in the 5vr and want to receive HD via. DirecTV. According to them, in order to get a 2nd HD receiver, it will cost me $100 plus signing up for another 2 year commitment.

Dish provides the HD receivers at $0 purchase cost. Other factors seem to be:

1) DirecTV sends HD out on 3 Ka band satellites and 1 Ku band satellite. As such the setup and alignment may be somewhat difficult. Dish uses only 3 Ka band satellites, thus may be easier to set up.

2) The DirecTV Slimline antenna is fairly large. The Dish 1000.2 antenna is noticably smaller.

It seems that Dish is less expensive, will be easier to set up, and the dish antenna is smaller and easier to handle and store.

I'm looking for some input from those who are familiar with the above. Where are the errors in my logic? Does this make any sense?

rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
You get what you pay for! Check on the number of HD channels Dish has to offer,Direct has 130 and always adding more. Who ever you go with,I wouldn't mention you're going to be using it in a RV,just take one of the House receivers with you. I've been with DirecTV over 10 years.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Jack,

We have been with DirecTV for about 3 years and home service has been OK - but nothing great, especially when bad weather is anywhere around. Our main issue now is HD in the RV.

Are you receiving in HD in your RV? Your photo shows a single satellite antenna much like we currently use, which does not pick up the HD broadcasts. We are also currently using an SD receiver in the RV, and DirecTV wants us to pay an additional $100 plus and an additional 2 year commitment to get a 2nd HD receiver.

Although I have little difficulty setting up the single satellite antenna, I have been told that the 5 LNB Slimline antenna needed for HD can take considerably more time to set up, and of course is much larger than the antenna we are currently using.

What are your thoughts on the above?
Old 01-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I started RV’ing with a Kingdome sat receiver. The first of last year I bought a Traveler Automatic 5 LNB HD dish from CW and had it installed. Works great, just turn it on where ever you are and it locks on to the sats. I also upgraded the 26” OEM TV to a 32” HP LCD HDTV and all is great!! Of course, you MUST see the southern sky which is not always possible, therefore, I carry a 5 LNB slimline dish under the bed for those times. Keep in mind we are fulltimers and really need our TV to while away the hours when not sightseeing, walking the new dog or geocaching.

This is all through DirecTV and we have been completely satisfied with them and their service. I have no experience with Dish, but have heard pros and cons from various members. I do not get any LOCAL channels, as I listed Anchorage as my home address. Don’t really miss the locals anyway. We do get the East and West coast feeds which supplies us with all the major networks. (We did file a waiver for these).

On my Traveler Dish I have 2 extra outputs that I could hook up two other receivers and may do one in basement this winter, we would have to purchase the receiver extra. We have not looked into this so not sure what Direct would charge us. Will find out in next month or two…..

Hope this helps somewhat, remember, this is just my setup and opinions.

BTW: Setting up and adjusting the portable dish for HD is a pain, at least for me and I do use the sat finder also. We do try and park away from the trees but I have a feeling this may change this coming summer.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
rickfox,
I did a lookup on the HD dish sizes of the Dish 1000 Plus and the DTV Slimline dish and they are close to the same size. The Slimline is 22.5"H x 32.5"W. The Dish 1000 Plus is 23.8"H x 30.9"W. The Dish 1000 Plus is their newest dish. The site I went to said the Dish 1000 has been discontinued. So size might not be that much of a factor between the two.
I have been using the DTV Slimline on a tripod. With the help of a satellite pointing device I made and a signal meter with a 22KHz tone I have found that it is not all that difficult to set up the Slimline HD dish. I will admit that it might take a couple of times to get the hang of it. It does take a little more effort with 3 adjustments (3rd being the skew) vs two adjustments with a single LNB dish for one satellite. With a little practice I think you will find that the fine tuning adjustments on the slimline dish may need only very little adjustment or none at all.
I carry a single LNB 18" dish for the times I might be in a hurry and in a place only over night. I haven't used it yet. The DTV receiver will work with a single LNB dish. But you only get the standard channels.
Here is a site for information:
http://www.solidsignal.com/cat_displ...RECTV%20Dishes
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have DISH Network. I had a lower end King Dome in the 3400RL. It had two feeds, but one LNB. I could pick up sat's 110 and 119, but had to switch between the two. Some HD was carried on one of those, but sat 129 carries the most HD is what I have been told.

Got rid of the 3400 and I now use the DISH 1000 Plus with 3 LNB's. My last trip out was the first time to use it. PITA for the first time, and most likely the next couple of times, but I had all three satellites.

Here is the nicer thing a out DISH. I have the VIP-722 DVR. It has two sat inputs but I run one line from the 1000 Plus through a DP-44 and another one I can't recall right now. The 722 is a dual tuner that can be run in single mode or dual mode. (More on that later) The 722 feeds an output to another television. In the 3400, I fed that output to the tv in the bedroom. (Here's the more) When in single mode I could watch one channel on both tv's. When in DUAL MODE I COULD WATCH TWO INDEPENDENT CHANNELS ON EACH tv at the same time. (Not yelling, just making sure it's understood that one receiver feeds two tv's with each tv being able to receive different channels at the same time using two RF remote controls. I really like that option. DW can watch Food Network and cook me some good meals, and I can watch FOX Network for good news. (No discussion on that please).

Now here is another kicker. There is no need to use a tripod. (Next trip I'll do this) Instead, using 1" PVC filled with sand or cement, stood two inches off the ground, you point the dish straight up into the air and receive a signal. (Instructions by email if you email me) There is a little interpolation required for AZ, ANGLE, and SKEW, and a 3/16" hole drilled in the dish for water drainage. It's amazing how corrupt a signal will get when the dish fills up.

My last time out, in San Antonio, I saw one in action. Here is what it looks like:

Edited: Image taken of another web site that has since been deleted:
Information below same:

Because the Dish is moved through 90 degrees. Elevation is taken from 90.
Because Dish is flipped through 180 degrees. Skew is taken from 180.

Example. for ZIP Code 93426

Normal Dish upside down
Azimuth 154 = Remains at 154
Elevation 48 = (90 - 48) = 42
Skew 82 = (180 - 82) = 98
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
rickfox, rather than have two sat rcvrs, you could have a HD DVR/Sat Rcvr. It has two outputs - one HDMI (component,composite or S-Video)to the LvRm TV and one coax to the Bedroom TV (Not HD output) You can record two channels at the same time off the satellite. If you hook up the bat wing antenna, you can watch or record a 3rd channel. You can watch any of your pre-recorded programs at anytime.

I don't have HDTV in our Monty, but the digital picture on our analog TVs is very good.

Just another point of view.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Rick we're not full timers so we don't watch tv that much,only after hours, our bed time is usually around 2:00am.
We do have the 32" HD in our 3400 and get a real nice picture just with the standard dish. It takes me less than 5 minutes to set the dish up. If I wanted to get HD TV I would just take one of our 2 HD receivers from the house and use the HD dish.
I just don't want to hassle with the set up with the HD Dish,we wouldn't use it that much.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:39 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have directtv..the older system. Use it in the RV all the time....no problems.

However there is the upgrade problem.. A new subscriber can get the latest system at Little or no no cost while the long time customer will have to pay to upgrade. Not fair you say..so do I.

Now I am not saying that I did this..It fact I deny that I did, or that anyone should do this ..However. IF a long time subscriber should call to upgrade and they say it will cost you XXX dollars the reply COULD be..so cancel my subscription. Then call the next day and become a NEW subscriber.. They MAY/ WILL reconsider and allow the upgrade at little or no cost.. Now I am just making this up ,it did not happen. I got that off the internet as a anonymous post.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #10
TLG
Established Member

M.O.C. #7828
I'm with Dish Network, and twice found myself wanting/needing another receiver. The first time lighting came in and fried one, and the second time, several years later, just wanted an extra one for the bedroom and rv. Both times I called and the customer service rep tried to charge me $100.00. I told them to cancel the service because I could go with Direct TV and get new equipment at no charge. On both occasions a supervisor got on the line and sent out a new receiver. On the second occasion I did have to continue my service for 18 months or send it back.
TLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #11
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We just had the new HDTV installed from Direct TV. Bill canceled his membership after 4 years and Helen got the new one. (Bill still makes the payment) Everything was free and we pay $20.00 less for the next year. Works for us.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:33 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen and Bill. Now that is creative thinking. Golly, Gee Whiss...Think we will do(did) that....
Old 01-07-2009, 06:46 AM   #13
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We are using Direct-TV and don't have any problem in the set-up. We have a HDTV receiver just for the 5th wheel. I must say we have had more problem with the Direct-Tv customer service this year than any year prior. I know these people are reading from a scrip. But I don't understand why different people have different answers. So I am going to call Direct-Tv and see what answers I get today. Its in ref to DNC we are only getting the east coast feed. We in the past have gotten east and west coast feed. And our east coast feeds aren't in HD? GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:00 AM   #14
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
In response to Richfaa, we recently upgraded our home DTV service to HD DVR. When I called, they indicated free Slimline dish (5 lnb's) install, $99.95 for the receiver and $19.95 for shipping and handling. I directly asked the rep for a free receiver, he indicated he needed to ask, put on hold, came back and we received free DVR HD receiver but paid $19.95 shipping/handling. I believe there are great options for upgrading to everyone whether DTV or Dish. Try asking. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #15
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Well I called Direct-Tv and would you believe we now have East and West HD channels. We called this past week-end and was told we couldn't get East coast in HD without filing more paper work, I told Delaine just hand up, we had filed this paper work in 2005. We now have East coast and Fox in HD. Its really who you talk, if your lucky to talk to a knowledgeable person things get done. This past week-end we were told it wasn't possible, that we couldn't get East-West distant network channels, we told them we had them in 2005 and was told it wasn't possible, its always funny when someone tell you something that you have done in the past isn't possible. Oh well things do work you talk to the right person. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes Dennis.. We have talked to them awhile back and when we get back to the stick house they will upgrade us at no cost. I was attempting to make a point..All one has to do us ask and keep asking till you find someone who can give you what you need. The first person we spoke to said ..sorry we can't upgrade existing customers at no cost.. I said.. cancel our account..he said...I will connect you with my supervisor..the supervisor said ..no problem..... and so it goes.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #17
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
We finally decided to cancel our DTV and go with Dish. As was said, DTV did not want to upgrade our receivers without lots of money and a recommitment for 2 years. To receive all stations including HD, DTV requires that 5 satelites be tuned in while Dish only requires 3. And the Dish antenna is noticably smaller and about 1/2 the weight as the DTV.

We just completed a 6500 mi. trip throughout most of the east coast and I was able to set up the Dish antenna multiple times and receive all 3 satelites. While on this trip, I spoke with 3 other DTV users that were trying to set up the Slimline antenna. None were sucessful.

For what its worth, after experiencing both providers while on RV trips, Dish is far and away the better choice for setup and useability in an RV.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:47 AM   #18
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I'm resurrecting an old post, but I have some 'interesting' information. I recently received a special offer from Direct TV, so I went to their website to figure out what changing would really cost me. To get four receivers, 3 with HD/DVR capabilities plus one HD receiver for the trailer would require an up front cost of $500. This would also include only one dish, but I understand I can buy other dishes elsewhere. However, in chatting with a DTV online agent, I discovered that if I didn't like the system - no matter what the reason, there is no refund for the equipment and a cancellation fee!

No DTV for me!!!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #19
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
What about all this hype about $29.95 a month for 1 year with 4 television capability that is being advertised all over the place?

I would never get a receiver for the RV, I'd just pull one out of the stick house for when I'm traveling.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #20
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
We have Dish Net, and just recently had our home updated to receive HDTV and a DVR for two diferant chanels, The TV's it required a 2 new year contract, and it had to be installed by a Dish Network dealer, it had to have the phone line conected to that new receiver only not the other receivers that we had in our RV and other bedrooms in the house. just something you might ask before you get Dish Net.