Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2007, 09:33 AM   #21
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
One other additive very few truck owners talk about is a biocide. They are used to keep fungi from fouling the fuel and it kills existing growth in the fuel. Biocides are primarily used in boats where the fuel will sit all winter without being used. Although the fuel in our trucks is normally burned much more frequently, I put 1/2 ounce (treats 40 gallons) in my truck tank annually, just in case something is in there that should not be there. I use Biobor JF Fuel Anti-Fungal, found in most marine stores.

Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #22
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I agree with EAGLE MAN. I had allege as I call it and had to replace the Rail Pump on my Ford. I have posted this before and you will NOT know when or where you got it if you do. I add BIO MEDIC from Lucas every 4-5 tankfuls just to prevent getting it. I also added a fuel filter before the rail pump which I do not know whether you have a pump or not so all you new owners will have to answer this. The old 7.3 had the rail pump. It took out fuel from the tank and put into the high pressure pump on top of the motor. As far as the CETANE booster you might look up blackwidowdiesel.com and ask Kevin on that.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Had my guage(s) installed today and while there learned something while reading DIESEL power magazine. For starters I bought the wrong truck. Testing all three of the new Diesels Ford came in third out of three(that would be last place) in most ALL performance areas. I thought would the fact that Ford has the smallest motor (6.4) and a 5 speed xmittion where the others have a 6 speed and is like 800lbs heaver have anything to do with the lower numbers..Is not that like comparing Helen's V-6 Accord with my son-in-laws vett then saying the Accord came in second???? annnddd. DIESEL power magazine also compared a V-10 with a DIESEL and surprisingly stated that the diesel out performs the V-10..in every respect although I did not note that in the 3 years I drove my V-10...So I bought a Dud new truck and had a Dud old truck...this was not my day...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:29 PM   #24
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Rich,
I think you'll find out you did the right thing. Be patient and observe how your truck performs as it gets broken in well.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:50 PM   #25
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
My Dodge is an older model and I use two cycle oil with each fill up. I do this to help lube the vp44 injection pump. The reason I use two cycle oil is that it is made to burn clean. My truck was not engineered to use the new diesel fuel. I use about 8 oz per tank. If I want more performance I will get bigger injectors. I just want my truck to run for a long time.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:09 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just about ALL of those magazine reviews have a agenda. Why am I not surprised that a DIESEL magazine found the DIESEL better in every respect thgan a gas motor. I am also surprised of the number of folks who add things to their diesel fuel like gasoline, Oils , Etc when we are told not to do that by the manufacturers.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:55 AM   #27
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Rich, maybe the manufacturers have and agenda also. Maybe they want thing to wear out so we will be visiting them sooner with our check book. I have never had a problem with the drive train on any of my diesels. It is the rest of the truck that starts to fall apart and rust.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:03 AM   #28
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
Another thread that generates no shortage of opinions. Rich: drive your Ford until you start having problems (that is, if you do), or the warranty expires, and enjoy it. You didn't buy the only truck that Ford made that year; so did lots of other people. There is no track record for ULSD as it's too new, so there is not enough evidence/data to determine the effects or non effects of using it. So maybe using an additive UNTIL problems show up or some time has passed and they don't show up might be prudent for the nonbelievers. Until then, and probably after, I'll continue using additives. Just in case. Another thought, the automakers want to sell you another truck, so the one you own won't last forever. However, I will do whatever I think best to make it last a little longer than they designed it to.
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:42 AM   #29
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
Go to diesel place.com join & then search for fuel additive good information shows good better& bad
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:41 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well you can spend a couple of hours on the internet learning about Cetane, Lubricating agents and ULSD fuel.Lots of good information out there and a good learning experience. I did that and I have decided that I WILL use a additive that increases the cetane level to the level recommended by ford but NOT above the 55 level and contains a lubricating agent. There are too many unknowns concerning the ULSD fuel at this time...My decision only..means nothing to anyone esle.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #31
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Yes it does, Rich. You're my idol...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:28 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave... You have got to raise your standards.....
Old 10-13-2007, 05:31 AM   #33
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Rich,
I'm sure Dave said that with tongue in cheek but there is a lot of truth to it. We all have to have some type of idol, someone to look to. And, it's those who speak bluntly and truthfully.

Orv
Old 10-13-2007, 07:22 AM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have never put additives in the diesel in any of mine. But I've never put more than 85,000 on any of the trucks so I don't know if longevity was affected or not.

One question I always have when looking at additives is what is the payback? If it increases mileage, does it increase it enough to offset the cost of the additive and the hassle of storing it and adding it to the tank? If it adds to longevity, does it really do that? How would one know? Will I own the truck long enough to find out? Etc. Etc.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:27 AM   #35
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Steve,
I look at it like this: What if it does work to extend the life of my engine and what if it doesn't? I think I'd rather err on the side of it doing the former since we do drive our vehicles as long as they'll go...especially the one we have now because it's been so good and performed so well for over 150K so far.

Orv
Old 10-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have never used additives in any of our prior vehicles.. However there are a lot of unknowns with the new ULSD fuel and the new diesel motors in regard to lubricant, cetane rating ,etc..Adding the PS Diesel fuel supplement will add about 1.25 per 25 gal of fuel to the already ridiculous and outrageous price we are paying for diesel fuel now. Have not done that yet but think I will till more is known about these new fuels and motors.. Like chicken soup...it can't hurt.