Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
What is this world coming to...

I'll apologize in advance for the rant...but I just don't get this.

Having been in my field for 25+ years, it is up to me to insure the customers get a professional job. They don't pay until it is right.
Of course there are considerations, such as the customer that just cannot be pleased. Several reasons for that, but that isn't my point of this thread.

Anyways...I bought a new truck recently. The truck I bought had everything I wanted but the leather seats, so I had them redo it.
The work was awful, I refused to accept it. It will be going back next week for a redo.

I also needed to have my topper repainted to match my new truck.
Wouldn't you know...the quality of the paint looked like some kid with spray cans did it. I refused this also - it's going back to get repaired.

Why should it be so hard to get good quality work done? It sure costs plenty, one should be able to expect at least a good effort.

I suppose it all comes down to money, nobody wants to pay good wages for professional people.
I hold other companies to the standards I work under everyday, and they just can't put out a good product.

Maybe I'm one of the old world craftsman or something...it shouldn't be this difficult.

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Your right OZZIE. A person should get what they pay for and not except any less. Most businesses know this.
I think there are a few that would except the job quietly keep on going, and some businesses base their work on that outcome.
BRAVO to you. Hold their feet to the fire, make them produce a good produce and don't except any less... Tell them JOHN SAID SO. OH """BRANSON IS GREAT IN 2008"" Catchy isn't it. ho ho ho
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Here Here Ozzie. I agree.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:02 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
My Dad's theory was.."If you have the time to do it over you have the time to do it right the first time".

He was a dry cleaner and rarely had any garments returned and his employees knew his theory by heart and also knew he didn't give a lot of second chances.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:24 AM   #5
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
I'm with you Ozzie. Our business is all about taking care of the people's needs and wants. Alot of people can be difficult but that's no reason not to always do your best. We steel customers from the "big guys" all of the time because they really don't care. We love to hear the stories of why they are buying from us instead of our big competition down the street! Our motto is "We Help Make Your Home Beautiful". If more people were like you and did not accept the poor work and service, maybe something would change. Hmmm probably not...in the meantime, it's great for small business who really do care! Hope all turns out well. When it's over make sure you let them know that word of mouth is a very powerful thing.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:26 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think you are voicing what many of us have experienced. Even when paying top dollar, we often get a poor product or service. I think that some of the working people now days just don't care about quality, probably very few do care.
I know when I buy a new A/C unit, I have to take all the service panels off, deburr them, tighten all connections, and really check things over for the things that should be done at the factory.
It's a sad comment on workmanship. You are doing the right thing, just don't accept the product until satisfied.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:48 AM   #7
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Ozzie you are right. One of the problems today is most people are going at such a fast pace that they don't have time to hassle with the problem. They just except it and go on. If more of us were to do as you I think it would have an effect on the problem.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #8
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
this goes back to the pay point of how much you pay per item not how many items were done rite

john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:09 PM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Ozzie,
This again just supports my contention that there are a lot of people in business who just hire people "off the street" to do work for them. It's called greed. They get these people that know nothing, or at the most, very little about what they are being hired to do. That's why there are so many very poor RV dealerships. They don't hire quality people. My dealer in Hiawatha, IA is by far the best dealer I know of and I've been to a lot of them. Their people are screened very well before being hired, and then they are closely supervised in the jobs they are given to do. This dealer is in business to make money but realizes that there will be no money if there is no service. No service, no repeat business. No repeat business, no money.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:08 PM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Persistence pays off...they finally got my topper painted to a level that I can accept and the leather was all repaired other than one spot.
That will get repaired to, as it's clear they exasperated the problem.
They actually burned the seat leather trying to shrink a wrinkle out of it.
Slowly but surely, it's coming together...I'm like a bulldog when it comes to things like this. I even tried warning them ahead of time to make sure they did a good job right off. They must be playing a numbers game figuring most won't notice or something. They found out the hard way in my case. It isn't my fault they did poor work and had to spend more to make it right. I sent them scrambling...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:53 AM   #11
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Stand your ground !
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote