Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2016, 07:55 AM   #1
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Brake wiring routing?

Hello Group,

I have been chasing a intermittent trailer disconnected message on my OEM Ram brake controller. I have cleaned the 7 pin on the trailer end and greased it. Checked the socket and double checked it was plugged into the truck harness.

In checking the wiring at the trailer wheels, found the wiring from the underbelly was rubbing against the springs, so I relocated it and zip tied it in place to avoid the springs. Also pulled some wire from both tubes looking for a bare spot, and found nothing.

But, I did notice the wire from the underbelly is similar to the wire inside the axle tubes. In checking the connections at the pin area, the wire to the trailer is normal stranded wire. Somewhere the wire from the pin area is joined to the 2 wires going to the brakes.

So the question, does anyone know where the wires from the pin area join the wiring to the axle area. The indication I get is a disconnect rather than a short, so I am looking for a loose connection (intermittent) rather than a wire rubbed to ground. The trailer is loaded for a trip, and looking in the cargo area shows no connection that I would think are brake wires. I am thinking the connections are behind the panel separating the cargo area from the underbelly area.

Hard to fix something that is not broke, but got a couple of mountain passes to go over and no brakes are a bit of a concern. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:47 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Generally all the fiver's pigtail connections are under your pinbox in a junction box. There'll be just one 2 conductor wire going from there to your axles ( mine is similar to lamp cord). Each axle taps off that wire.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Our trailer had the pin box wires going back to the street side brakes and there connected to both them and the curb side ones, right at the street side brake back plate.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:56 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Thanks Walt ... you said it better ... I was struggling with words.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:00 AM   #5
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I have also had wires chafe inside the wheel, rubbing on the brake drum. There was a clip on the actuating arm that was no done properly.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I had similar problems. About once or twice a week, I got the message about trailer disconnected (or whatever it says). I tried using the gunk that cleans electrical connections and maybe helped a bit. Then someone mention the pigtail connector itself may be a problem. So for most days, I now plug in the pigtail and pull it back out 1-2 times to sort of clean off the connections. I have not had a single message now in maybe 90-100 days of towing. Sometimes the simplest thing is the best!?!?!
Costs nothing to try this.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:21 PM   #7
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
I use a little dielectric grease on the pigtail.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:32 PM   #8
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jlb27537

So the question, does anyone know where the wires from the pin area join the wiring to the axle area.
Yes, on mine it was just above the forward wheel on the street side. From there the wires from the curb side joined - same as WaltBennett's. In my case, the culprit was a crimp connection that LOOKED good, but once you wiggled it, it became intermittent. It was under the coroplast, so I had to remove about 8 screws to pull the coroplast down enough to pull the connection out - it was just "stuffed" in there. I cut out the crimp connection, stripped the wire and soldered the connections instead of crimping them. Problem solved. While I was at it, I replaced all the crimp connections and soldered all. No further problems.

My symptoms were the same as yours - intermittent disconnection.
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #9
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
After the posts of the trailer brake wires going directly to the pin area, I again looked into the 4x4 box and verified the brake wires are in fact a blue wire going into a harness.

The junction of the wires just over the left front wheel would seem the most logical. Will drop the belly cover tomorrow and see what is up there.

My OEM controller will show a short to ground, a short to B+ and a disconnect. I am getting a disconnect message so I am looking for a bad connection, rather than a frayed wire, I think.

ON EDIT: Ok, looked at removing the cover under the trailer. On the left side is the 1/2" steel pipe for LP to the frig, heater and kitchen stove. Plus the drain piping for the kitchen sink. A bit larger project I want to try and tackle in a campground site. I pulled/wiggled all the wiring at the wheel area while hooked up and no disconnect indication. I did tap on the cover with my flat hand and it sounds like there are about 100 loose screws laying on the top of the cover. If I get to the RGV with brakes I am going to consider I fixed it by cleaning the 7 pin connector on the trailer cord. If not, going to make a large hole 2'x2' in the lower cover and look up in there.

Leaving the 20th for S Texas. Was 29 degrees this morning...

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote