Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2009, 11:49 AM   #21
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

What about all this hype about $29.95 a month for 1 year with 4 television capability that is being advertised all over the place?

I would never get a receiver for the RV, I'd just pull one out of the stick house for when I'm traveling.
They are saying the system will support up to four receivers, not that you get four. I didn't have a problem paying for the equipment, just the fact that if there was a problem, they wouldn't give a refund.

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:12 PM   #22
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:Trailer Trash 2 Posted - Nov 22 2009 : 5:06:52 PM
...it had to have the phone line connected to that new receiver only not the other receivers that we had in our RV and other bedrooms in the house...
F Y I - With the phone line requirement, there is an alternative. You can use a broadband connection through your internet connection to meet this requirement at home or on the road. While you are RVing, you can use an aircard & router with an ethernet cable from the Sat Rcvr plugged into the router.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:38 PM   #23
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The price of television programming is incredible! Gone are the days of the expense of just the television itself and maybe some rabbit ears or a roof antenna.

Now we have hundreds of channels, most of them with commercials (remember when there were not supposed to be any?). THEN if you really want the channels without the commercials, that costs extra. This is the only industry I know of where the competition causes price hikes, not reductions and we end up paying for them. In 3 years our DTV has gone from $53 per month to $93 per month. All to get TVLAND!

Yup, I'm considering switching to Dish, but by the time I get the comparable stuff to DTV I will save $10 per month for a year - big whoop. Then I'm stuck with them for an additional year, then I probably leap frog back. UGH it all. Whatever works for on the road and it better gimme TVLAND!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:36 PM   #24
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DONnANNIE

Quote:
quote:Trailer Trash 2 Posted - Nov 22 2009 : 5:06:52 PM
...it had to have the phone line connected to that new receiver only not the other receivers that we had in our RV and other bedrooms in the house...
F Y I - With the phone line requirement, there is an alternative. You can use a broadband connection through your internet connection to meet this requirement at home or on the road. While you are RVing, you can use an aircard & router with an ethernet cable from the Sat Rcvr plugged into the router.
Thats good to know Don Thanks, but I guess you are a FTer and I'm not, and paying and aditional XX $$$ per mo for the air card, that is not in my budget right now.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #25
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:Trailer Trash 2 Posted - Nov 23 2009 : 02:36:27 AM

...That's good to know Don Thanks, but I guess you are a FTer and I'm not, and paying and additional XX $$$ per mo for the air card, that is not in my budget right now.
We travel for a week or long weekends several times a year. The rest of the time we are at home. Two and a half years ago I dropped Comcast and went with a Verizon aircard & router from Alex @ 3G Store. It is NOT as fast as Comcast, but I get an average of 800Kb Down and 300Kb UP. It cost $60 per month. So I can use it at home or take it on the road.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:24 AM   #26
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
I have an older DishNetwork receiver and antenna. After calling for an "free" upgrade, I was told that since I lived in an RV, they wouldn't be able to help me. The suggested that I call a local provider. I did so, and they told me that there would be a $100 up front cost, since they weren't sure what amount DishNetwork would reimburse them. I guess I'm stuck with the ordinary tv signal and two antenna system. I do, however, use the batwing for local HDTV stations to enjoy the HD signal with the new TV.
I also looked at the comparison between Dish and Direct on the internet, and they both include some "not so desired" channels, although Direct seems to provide more sports stations. I also read about how normal broadcast TV was in trouble due to the cost of advertising, and the story went on to say that Broadcast TV might be a thing of the past in the next couple of years, and in order to receive TV, a person be forced to cable or sat TV signals. I don't like the thought of this.
Here is the link to that story.
Story
See you at the rally in Kerrville.
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:55 AM   #27
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
You may be correct about broadcast TV. After all, Oprah is starting up her onwn cable station in 2011 and Fox cable seems to be the number one news program and is almost taking over sports. I think that broadcast is going the same way as the land line phones. IMHO.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #28
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
The way things are going in the broadcasting arena we will soon have very few actual broadcast stations. We will see a continued move to the internet. That seems to be the wave of the future. So your connection to the internet will be of prime importance. We use an air card for our internet connection so I don't know if you'd still classify that as broadcast or not!?

Change is about all that is absolutely guaranteed. Good luck to us all.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote