Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
Installing a Satellite dish or dome?

I’m flirting with the idea of installing a roof mounted satellite dish or dome. Has anyone taken on this task? If so, would you do it again or is best left to the professionals?
Also, what system would you recommend for a weekend warrior?

John

Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:49 AM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Johnny I have no experience in installing a roof mounted dish. I do have the Traveler 3 roof mount by wineguard and highly recomend it. It was done as a factory option. It has to be the best option for HDTV, just push 1 button and in minutes you have HDTV, but you must have a clear very of the Southern sky. Does your 5th wheel have the RG 6 cables ran to the roof, RG 6 is a must for HDTV. It does appear to be a simple install. I think Camping World would be a place to check, their price is similar to what my option from the Factory charged, about a $100.00 less than Camping World. At sometimes during the year CW gives a good discount on installs. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:40 AM   #3
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
Delaine and Lindy
Not sure about the cable. Where did they place the traveler 3 on the roof?
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:54 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
John, I have the same as Lindy, CW installed mine and it is mid coach, around the kitchen, left side of trailer. It is an expensive option and don't know if I would do it as a weekender. Perhaps you could install the Sat at home and take a portable dish with you and the receiver from the house as many others do. This would be the least expensive option. Of course, Mine and Lindys is HD and from DirectTv. If you don't care about HD you could get by with the standard dish which is much less expensive. I would have someone else install it to get a warranty. We can get ours worked on at any CW. But we are fulltimers also.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:20 AM   #5
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
As the saying goes for RV equipment--Bring some money and we will do it! I have a tripod mount for my satellite dish since we don't full time. I am pleased with it even though my wife is always amazed that I can get the satellite aligned=--it helps to be a retired engineer. We also leave our recevier in the Monty and put our service on "vacation" mode for about $7 per month. We activate our service when we need it like this past week to watch the bowl games on ESPN.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:46 AM   #6
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
John,
I installed a Winegard SK3005 on our 2955RL. With the 2955RL the cables were easy to enter the roof above the entertainment center. A roof entry plate comes with the cable package. I just removed mine to install on a new rig coming soon.

The install was not all that difficult. With a rig that has the entertainment center in a slide there are several options to get the signal to the entertainment center. I like a direct coax to the receiver. Doing this requires running the coax to the belly of the rig and into the entertainment center. Just takes time.

Another option is to pull the booster in the closet and trace down the cable used for the outside cable connection and use that coax to get the signal to the receiver. (You do lose the park cable with this option, but not the over air antenna). But you can run another RF connection through the wall of the slide if park cable is a must, or fish the coax through the belly. I have not used this method but have known of it to be done. This would not be my choice.

I am not getting into the different switching and connection devices available to accomplish the task. As stated above my preference is a direct coax from the dish to the receiver. My thought is I want the cleanest signal I can get with the HD. Another thing to keep in mind is the control box for the satellite has a 30' power cable. You can buy an extension for it if needed. I would try and keep the control box at the 30' length. The control box can be located anyplace with power.

If you feel comfortable routing the coax the rest of the install is not all that hard. There are instructions that comes with the dish for installing and the dish does the rest. You can go to Winegard.com and there are videos for installs. Manuals are also online. If you go to my blog there is a short slide show on my install.

On Edit: I missed the rear entertainment in your case. This would make the install perhaps easier than a slide install. You would not have to worry about the coax routing into a slide.

Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:43 AM   #7
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I installed the King Dome on our unit and it was about 2 days worth of work. That was because I mounted back on the slope part of the roof to keep the height down.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote