Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2009, 07:08 AM   #1
OrangeCrate
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9410
Home Theater Problem 09 "Big Sky"

We took delivery of our new 340 about a month ago. The TV (Sylvainia 320) only has a digital coax output for the audio. Unfortunately the Home Theater system (LG) has inputs for either analog (R/W RCA Jacks) or digital Optical connection... So there is no way to get the TV output into the Home Theater Sound system.. Any suggestion or comments would be appreciated...
ALSO... The LG System outputs sound to only the speakers in the bedroom ceiling (except in "test mode"... My 04 Big Sky had a switch in the ceiling that shut them off, I don't find a way to shut the sound off in the bedroom on the new one.(09 Big Sky '340').
Is there a set of instructions available that will explain how to control the sound level @ each speaker simular to the way the control was on my 04 (it had a 'channel button' on the remote that would let you set the volume on each speaker..

OrangeCrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
OrangeCrate,
You may want to try a Google search for your LG system. You can usually find down loadable owner's manuals at the manufacturer's website.
Jack
Old 09-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
bjj5633
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9546
I had the same problem, on the back of the tv you have orange audio out,above that you have red and white audio out, plug red and white in tv and then plug into audio in on sound system. I use av1 input on sound system. good luck.
bjj5633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
I had a similar problem with a 'new' Big Sky that I took delivery on in August. Nothing coming out of the speakers made sense. After much fruitless activity I took every single speaker wire off the back.

Don't be afraid. You won't hurt anything at moderate volume. What I discovered was that virtually every connection was wrong. It was as if the thing had been hooked up by trolls. You can't sort things out without a methodical approach because not every speaker will be receiving sound unless the surround is active and most times it won't be.

Here is what you have to do. Put on a CD. You'll be getting output delivered to at least the right and left front outputs. Then take a speaker pair, one at a time and connect it to the left front output. Do this until you've identified every speaker. Label them all. Be aware that the MBR speakers should be twisted to the left and right front speakers.

Once you've identified every pair of wires, hook 'em up correctly. I'm fuzzy after this about the precise LG adjustments and terminology. Just follow the LG manual for balancing the sound outputs. That's what I did and it worked fine after that.

Oh yes, to check out the surround you'll need to play something like an action movie to ensure sound is being routed to all the speakers.

OT. I went nuts trying to find the subwoofer. It was working because I could hear it but I just couldn't find it. My big sky has the office slide out and I finally discovered the woofer is hidden behind a thin piece of plywood 'privacy skirt' under the desk. Go figure!
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Some home theaters have a cable input that feeds the signal through the home theater to the tv Or if you use a satellite run the audio cables from the receiver to the home theater. On ours I took out their junk and put in a Pioneer Receiver and DvD. I also replaced the speakers as I blew one and didn't want to spend $40 on one of Montana's cheap speakers so I bought a used set of Bose off the internet. The factory makes a mess of a lot of the hook ups so follow the previous post and you will do alright.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:06 PM   #6
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
My front speakers were wired backwards from the factory. I used the gray noise audio test in the menu to check and correct. As far as your issue is concerned are you going to use a dish? The receiver will have an optical out. If you're going to use the antenna or cable you'll have to go with the TV speakers unless you're watching a disk.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
You can also use a AA battery on the end of the speaker wires. Touching the wires will make a noise on the corresponding speaker. You can quickly identify what wires are going to what speakers. My 3 year old grand daughter could do a better job than the factory!
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
Our speakers were wired wrong from the factory. We have the LG also and the speaker set up needed to be done on the TV screen. It is a pain for us electronic challenged people. The only speakers that worked were our bedroom ones. I still don`t have them correct and it`s been almost 2 years. L.O.L. Plus we had a blown out speaker that really threw a screw in the works.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
OrangeCrate
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9410
UPDATE....
I found that none of the speakers were connected to the correct output from the Home Theater system. After I used the output "Grey' noise that is available in 'LG' test mode to connect all speakers 'except' the bedroom speakers to the correct channel the thing sounds "OK"... IMO the $270 list price of a LG HT845 Home Theater system is not a good buy. The only solution to the sound coming out of the bedroom speakers is to add a switch in the cabinet. The can probably be paralleled to the output going to the front R & L speakers for the best sound if you feel you need it (we don't usually listen to the home theater in the bedroom anyway, so ours will just be left disconnected.

As far as the TV sound NOT going to the Home theater system. I am currently talking to Keystone Customer Service to get this resolved. My TV only has a Digital Coax Audio Output (NO Analog ie: R & W RCA Jacks). Keystones initial response to the problem was they are not worried about TV sound coming out of the Home Theater system, only the DVD, CD or Radio. My position is:
1) This is a "Big Sky" (the luxury liner of the fleet... it should have all of the 'bells and whistles' for the X-Tra $20K or so that is added to the MSRP to make it a "BIG SKY"
2) The unit came from the factory with a special set of cables connected to the 'Aux. In" jacks of the LG... since the TV had no 'Audio Out' that was compatible with the LG the Production worker just plugged them into a set of input jacks on the back of the TV.... (they are probably used to hooking up a system that had the correct TV in it).
3) The Home Theater/TV 'marriage' in my '04' Big Sky worked fine!... makes sense to me that a 5 year newer model would at least have features that are as good as the earlier models.
I'm not sure how this will all work out... but will report back when it is resolved 'one way or the other'.

Our only other problem has been a Hi Temp Limit switch tripping on the Fireplace... this is a Dimplex recall item and a replacement has been ordered.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #10
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
If you don`t want the bedroom speakers to work at all just unplug the speaker wires from the back of the LG box. That was my solution. Your LG should have very good sound.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #11
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
At the Tampa show in January of this year (2009), I brought this matter to Aram's attention. He acknowledged that the LG units were not appropriate for the bedroom wiring. I had to test each wire pair (speaker) and came to the conclusion that the bedroom speakers are superfluous; they are currently disconnected.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:21 AM   #12
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
RE: Bedroom speakers

Here's the real deal for techies.

All (real) high fidelity amplifiers have outputs that have to be 'matched' to their respective speaker's impedance. Simply put, a 4 ohm speaker should be connected to an amplifier that has a 4 ohm output. Theoretically, you can blow things up by paralleling speakers (like Keystone does) to outputs. Two four ohm speakers, paralleled, present a 2 ohm impedance to an amp designed to 'see' 4 ohms.

If you're the Rolling Stones, running a gazillion watt amp into speakers the size of refrigerators this is critical. Ol' Mick would transform his speakers into bonfires if he had Keystone hook him up. If you're an audiophile you could also cause distortion problems in the sound.

This was much more of a problem when things like this were done with vacuum tubes. You'd have to be a geezer (like me) to even know what a vacuum tube is.

One of the benefits of being a geezer is that sound distortion is not something you have to worry about too much. It's much more important to just hear it to begin with. For geezers, there's a trade off between pushing out enough sound energy to hear it without smoking your speakers. Long before you get loud enough to smoke anything, you'll be getting distortion that you may or may not be aware of anyway.

Fortunately, modern surround sound systems are not as sensitive to this and you don't have enough available amplifier output to blow up anything anyway. The worst of it with this system is that you have to boost up the 'front' output to compensate for the extra load of the BR.

Bottom line? Parallel the BR speakers on the left/right front outputs. You won't hurt anything. If you're feeling ambitious, a simple toggle switch (double pole) will allow you to shut them off when desired.

Use the built in sound balancing to boost up the power to the front speakers to compensate for the extra load of the BR. Then go pour a cold one and be thankful you heard anything at all. I've paralleled mine and the whole thing works just fine.

Foot note: I may have to change this post when I get younger visitors that want Rolling Stone volumes with ears that can still detect distortion (or I may not allow them to play their music).
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #13
OrangeCrate
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9410
update;;; Received a replacement TV (with the correct output jacks) today with new hardware.... Keystone is the BEST in Customer Service.... One email to Rick (Customer Service Manager) and within a couple of days.... Problem is solved....

THANKS KEYSTONE!!
Old 11-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #14
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Just another example of why we are choosing Keystone Montana over any other brand: customer service.
Things will go wrong with any RV and we want a company that services and supports what they sell, because we are going to be "anywhere" in North America when things break.
Thanks for the update.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
By correct output jacks did that include the digital fibre optic audio (not coax)? What is the brand of the new TV?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:21 AM   #16
OrangeCrate
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9410
Yes... the replacement TV has both analog 'RCA' jacks and the connection for Digital Fiber Optic Audio out. (That was wayyyy more that I needed, but will provide a higher quality audio to the Home Theater speakers). I really appreciate the way Keystone 'went the extra mile' to get my unit working the way it was designed.....
Replacement TV is a Samsung.... great picture !!!!
Old 11-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #17
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Great on your service with Keystone on a new TV. we had our camper only 3 months and TV. went out i called Keystone and was told to go out and buy a new TV. for around $550. and send them the receipt and i had my money with in a month.........so in my opinion they have Great service Dept.....
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote