Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Toaster oven

Dianna likes her toaster oven, but it is several years old and has suffered bangs and bumps. If anyone has bought one recently or has one that is very good, what brand, model is it. With the microwave/convection oven, I don't think it is necessary. However, the kitchen is not my domain. I enjoy eating well, so whatever it takes to make the chief chef happy.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Stiles,

We are long timing in the RV now because we are working hurricane Ike losses. I am finding that the more I use the Apollo oven the more I like it. I guess it was just get in there doing the trial and error thing. Cooked corn bread just tonight for my tortilla soup and then toasted the cut up corn tortilla strips instead of putting them in oil.

I do have a toaster over at home that I use in the summer time and I believe it is a Kenmore from Sears.

I am cooking everything electric at this campground as we aren't paying for the electricity. I am using a two burner hot plate and the Apollo oven for everything.

Still debating if we are going home to the stick house for Thanksgiving. A holiday meal might be more of a challenge in the RV. Not really wanting to pack up the truck for just a few days so the challenge might be on.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Dianna likes her toaster oven, but it is several years old and has suffered bangs and bumps. If anyone has bought one recently or has one that is very good, what brand, model is it. With the microwave/convection oven, I don't think it is necessary. However, the kitchen is not my domain. I enjoy eating well, so whatever it takes to make the chief chef happy.
I don't like cooking with gas, so have an electric frying pan, a toaster oven, toaster, crockpot and an outdoor Coleman Gas grill. My husband likes to use the outdoor grill and likes to cook on the gas stove. I bought the toaster oven at Home Depot.Our Montana is stored, so can't remember the brand. We use the microwave a lot too. Another toy for the kitchen would really be nice and that is a "Jetstream oven", made by American Harvester. I wore one out and hope to get another one someday.
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Collen-- Go out and buy yourself a fryer and deep fry a turkey! It is outstanding!! I'm debating whether I'm going to deep fry the bird or put it in the smoker and smoke it this year! Which ever I decide on, it's going to be good! Either way, I get a juicy bird out of it! My mouth is watering already!! If you head home for Thanksgiving-- you can bring your toasteroven back with you and you'll have it too to use the "free" electricity!!
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #5
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Collen-- Go out and buy yourself a fryer and deep fry a turkey! It is outstanding!! I'm debating whether I'm going to deep fry the bird or put it in the smoker and smoke it this year! Which ever I decide on, it's going to be good! Either way, I get a juicy bird out of it! My mouth is watering already!! If you head home for Thanksgiving-- you can bring your toasteroven back with you and you'll have it too to use the "free" electricity!!
Just be careful when you add that turkey to all of that hot oil in the big deep fryer, turn the flame off, just in case the hot oil runs over and catches on fire. Probably did not need to remind anybody, but I heard of people burning their homes and Rv's down. Of course you all knew that already.
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Rondo,

Been there done that and won't do that again!! Dear Son talked us into doing the fried turkey thing and I must say it was good. Was it good enough to make up for the mess afterwards????? Nope!! Was it good enough to miss the taste of dressing stuffed inside of the bird while it cooks for hours???? Nope!!! Call me old fashioned, I love my stuffed bird with the trimmings.

Thanks for the suggestion, but my bird has to be baked not fried. Maybe it is like the martini question shaken or stirred. We all have our likes and dislikes.... oh by the way I hate martinis so I just am taking info from a Bond movie.

Now talk about fish baked or fried.... fresh caught out of the lake fied up with onion rings..... oh gosh I am off topic.

I will leave the toaster oven home if we go back to the stick house. I am really slowly falling in love with the Apollo.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I used to have turkey with dressing inside but I'm now married to an Alabama gal and she fixes her cornbread stuffing separate and it is yummy! My Mom used to make the sweet dressing with apples and etc and stuff it inside the bird and I do remember that quite well but now I'm being Southernized and getting to like it!
The catch to frying the turkey is figuring how much oil to fill the pot with by putting the bird in then filling it with water to cover the bird and marking the pot. Then when you fill it again with the oil you leave a little room for expansion when it gets hot and no problems with the boiling over of the hot oil when you put the bird in. It is a little messy since the oil goes into the air and does settle on things then. I do like the taste of the fried turkey especially if I inject it with certain butters or oils and the rubs but like you say Colleen the real way is to long roast the turkey. I think I've talked myself into the smoker for this years bird! HOPE IT FITS!!
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:28 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Stiles,

Our toaster oven is so old it stopped counting birthdays.

We use it and left the "other" toaster at home.

I hope I never have to replace it, as the ones I see on the market now are mucho larger, but, nonetheless, if it goes, no matter what the size, a new one comes to work for us.

As far as your question, brand, etc. Cannot help you, tried Consumer Reports???

Let us know what you decide and how you like it, our senior citizen could decide to retire any time and I would be needing the same info.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:44 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Coleen and Bob,
We will be home for Thanksgiving. You and Bob are welcome to join us in thanks giving. I am also inviting Jim and Joan, and Jim's Mother if they would like. All you have to do is pack the truck to drive 10 miles.

Edited: Anyone else in the area, let us know. I'll surprise DW! (NOT)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:36 AM   #10
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
We recently bought a Quisinart convection/toaster oven at Costco. We really like it.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have one at home and use it a lot.In fact we have had several over the years. Wallmart, best buy have various brands. The one we have now is a G.E and has served us well.

Google Best buy..they have a nice selection of brand names.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:36 AM   #12
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We have a cheap-O toaster oven we got at a Walgreens for about $19! It works great but--we never leave it plugged in. In fact I don't leave anything plugged in even if we are in the Monty--includes the coffee pot, heater, etc. after we have used them. I recommend this action to everyone--includes the stuff at home.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote