Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2008, 08:35 AM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
gen carrier/bike rack

I would like to have a combination generator carrier/bike rack made to install in to a receiver hitch on the rear of the 2007 3400RL. I know that care has to be made in adding the hitch, and not much weight can be place in the carrier. I would just like to have the option of carrying the bikes on the rear - I need to carry 4 when we take the grandkids for a short trip. What I envision is a receiver hitch added to the frame of the Monty, with a small carrier inserted in to the hitch, with the carrier having a receiver hitch on it so that a bike rack could be inserted in to it. Possible? Thanks for any advice.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The new 3400RLs come with a factory hitch...and a sticker that says "maximum weight 200 lbs." There are lots of threads on this subject, you might try to see if you can find one...the consensus is don't do it.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
If I read your post correctly you want to carry the generator and then add a bike rack on the outside end of that generator carrier. My limited Mechanical engineering says that is definitely a lot more than 200 pounds. Four bikes out that far probably weight 100 pounds and then putting them out about 36 to 48 inches behind the receiver on the trailer really adds the weight factor because of the fulcrum effect for just the bikes let alone what is on the carrier. I wish I had the formula to calculate it.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote