Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2007, 07:22 AM   #21
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
Send a message via AIM to osofine
Hey, Thanks! I think I will forgo the expense. I already wasted money on my ventilated 5th wheel tailgate. I needed the 'V' not really the vents. The pinbox would clear the tailgate - but just barely. So I went for the v tailgate that happens to be ventilated. I also bought the Bedsaver which I know I will need. It's not inatalled yet - but will be soon. Being new I know we will do something wrong and drop the rig on our bed, damaging both.

osofine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:41 AM   #22
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I think Brad may be onto something. I believe the only way to improve the aerodymanics would be travelling at 60 mph with a 60 mph tailwind. Better yet the aerodynamics are great when it is unhitched, set up, and occupied!! Gotta go camping, c'mon Thanksgiving.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:27 AM   #23
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bingo - I drove a motorhome in the 80s that had about as much aerodynamics as the front of my house. I only remember the good times we had in it, not how much fuel we used

osofine - I know somebody looking at the vented gate right now because they didn't have a bedsaver! no names but it wasn't me - this time.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:36 PM   #24
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
Send a message via AIM to osofine
When do you all make all these renovations? While you are parked in a campground? Or at home? I know nothing will get done, except for installing the bedsaver before we pull out in January. I guess we just bring all the tools we will need, buy the shelving or whatever we want to install and do it once we get to warmer climes.? We are both working full time until late December. Just pile it all in and sort it once we get where we are goin'?
osofine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:16 PM   #25
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
You are all onto something--the fact is it is really hard to validate most anything that improves mileage. Problem is we are dealing with small differences in large numbers. Consider a five percent change in mileage "gauranteed by the manufacturer." given we get 10 to 12 mpg that would mean an improvement of one half mpg improvement. Anyone who has driven a fiver rig for even a weekend trip knows side winds and hills will cause changes greater than a half mpg. What we are left with is a collection of anecdotes that are singularily insignificant.

To prove anything in the area of 1 percent difference requires significant instrumentation and elaborate testing plans that stymie even the big companies Instead, outrageous claims are made that are equally hard to disprove. It is enough to make even the most gulible turn skeptic. And there is born marketing.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:56 AM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Even worse, Dave, is when a guy trys to get his money back because a product did NOT provide the "guaranteed" mileage increase. Just how does one compile sufficient documentation to prove beyond doubt what the mileage really was before and after?? And that conditions were identical, etc.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:45 PM   #27
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Steve,
Havn't got a clue!
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote