Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2007, 05:47 PM   #21
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
I think we should tell the manufactuers to leave out the gps and replace it with on on board scale system for keeping track of our load issues with the tow vehicles. Al

BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:23 AM   #22
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
I'll have to disagree with some of the previously posted information. If ANY of the manufacturer's ratings are exceeded for the truck or trailer (GW, GCW, axle, etc) you are looking for trouble. The owner's manuals are very specific that none of these ratings should be surpassed. You don't want to be trying to convince a jury that it's 'really okay' to ignore those ratings.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
So I can actually tow 30K..I'm turnnen in my weight police badge and dumping the 3400 for a bigger camper..I can pull 30K ..The things you can learn around here???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:01 AM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm scratching my head over the Dodge ratings. Mine is rated for something around 13,500. I'd have to dig out the info but that's close.

Dodge in 2006 went to a much heavier frame, and fully boxed. Yet the ratings did not increase by an appreciable amount.

I doubt you'll find more than a rare Montana over 15,000 pounds unless it's the Big Sky. Our Montana is very heavily loaded and scales at 14,620.

Unless you're in Canada, the ratings on private vehicles is a guideline, not a law. It is possible to be sued if an accident is attributed to being over the ratings but I'm still looking for the first mention of such a lawsuit. And I'm still looking for someone who has had a truck failure caused by being a little over the ratings. With all the many miles being towed, including well over 100k by us, you'd sure think we'd be seeing a rash of failures or accidents. It just isn't happening.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:31 AM   #25
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ah yes - reactionist justifications. Lets try something until somebody is killed then we will know that didn't work.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:19 AM   #26
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
There was a real life example on another forum where an over weight truck and trailer caused an accident resulting in a fatality. The driver of the RV was fined $1m and is going to jail. I'll see if I can find it.

On edit: I think it is on The Diesel Place, but could not find it, I'll look again.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:11 PM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It is true the GVWR of the Montanas went up but the actual unloaded weight did not go up or went up a very small amount. That means you have more cargo capacity and can load more into the Montana without exceeding it's GVWR rating. The new GVWR makes absolutely no difference in what it takes to tow a Montana UNLESS you actually use that much more cargo capacity.

On trucks, I see reference to "design specs" in this thread. The published ratings are just that, published ratings. They are NOT the design specs. My Ford diesel engineer friend will not tell me numbers (design specs) but they are certainly not one and the same. Published ratings are what we, the buying public, are told is the rating for the truck and is the number the manufacturer would like us to not exceed. Design specs are what the truck is actually designed to handle. There's a difference. I probably just started a new "discussion."
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:14 PM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
No conflict here Steve. Having worked in the electronics and Computer field for way to many years and having been on more than one " design team" you are correct. Design or engineering specs CAN BE different than published manufacturers ratings. In the case of those figures on the door I have no idea if they are the actual " design specs" or not.. I would seriously doubt that. However... not knowing I choose to accept them as 'specs" and stay within them.. We have some real engineers among us who may be able to enlighten us further. Although it is a long shot I would not like to be involved in a court case involving my overweight, by the numbers on the door, camper. My thoughts only.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:50 PM   #29
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
I'm certainly not an expert on these matters, but my owner's manual says, "Addition of trailer hitch weight CANNOT cause the vehicle weights to exceed RGAWR or GVWR. These ratings can be found on the driver door or door frame." As noted above, I'd hate to try to argue around that statement in a court case.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:43 PM   #30
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
"Why yes your Honor!.........I did know I was towing more weight than the numbers in the truck's door said it was RATED to tow, but honestly your Honor, those numbers are only what the manufacturer WANTS you to believe. I have a friend that told me there are SECRET numbers that are much higher!!" - hahahahahaha

I wonder if the bridge in Minnesota was within the RATED load, or was it pushing up towards the SECRET load before it fell.

Why don't we just leave it at some Montanas, under load, will have a pin weight greater than most 3/4 ton trucks are designed to carry and STOP telling folks its OK!!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #31
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Because it is OK and you guys "so called weight police" for what ever reason are just trying to stirr things up. Show me some facts that they are unsafe and not the numbers on the door.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote