Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #21
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Bigmurf,

That spring difference was on the 2002, not the 2008. Both "stories" still hold.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:34 PM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We won't be pulling the 3400 anchor till we leave for the fall rally via the dealership to have heavy duty greaseable shackles installed and some routine maint on the 3400. The hitch may also have to be adjusted due to the difference in truck height between the 05 4X2 and the 08 4X4. We will do a wine buying trip up along the Erie shores to get the required 500 miles on the beasty this weekend. We are at 186 now.We are still finding where everything is..The sticker says we have a block heater but I can't find it???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #23
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
I find it very interesting that the government is mandating higher fuel economy and at the same time mandating emissions controls that cut fuel mileage. I must be missing something, maybe it's a secret way to cut oil imports.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:23 PM   #24
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
On my Duramax the block heater cord was zip tied just above the passenger tire. It is almost unreachable from the top of the motor. After locating it, reaching up from the bottom of the motor was a snap. You might want to take a peek there.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:30 PM   #25
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Rich, congrats on the new truck. After a few miles and hills towing your Montana you will be wondering why you didn't get a diesel earlier. Just be careful with what goes in the tank. You learn to look for the pumps with the green handles. You also will need to make sure you are pumping the new diesel USLD. Enjoy it and join a Ford Diesel Forum, you won't regret it.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:10 AM   #26
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Clutch's advise to look for the pumps with the green handle does not always hold true. The BP stations I have been in have gasoline in the green handles. I think their diesel is a black handle pump.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:34 AM   #27
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I've seen yellow handles too...and some don't have USLD labels either.
I would think marking the pumps would be a law...

I nearly got burned once at a BP...grabbed a green handle thinking I was good to go, filled 'er up and then noticed it was unleaded. Panic set in so I had a few words with the manager regarding green handles being a diesel standard and he agreed - even the big truckers had made the same mistake at that store.
He suggested I siphon my fuel back into the big tank in the ground and provided me with the equipment to do it. Heh...even had a volunteer fireman watching...gotta love small towns.

You really need to pay attention when you fill up.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:42 AM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, I don't know about the 6.4 but for the 6.0 the cord/plug was zip tied up under the bumper or grille. If you can't see it by peering through the grille, you might need to crawl under and look. I had to cut the zip tie and route the cord out the grille.

By the way, for those with the 6.0 powerstroke who don't think they have a block heater, they do. Ford adds the cord when you pay for a block heater. The dealers sell the cord for around $40 to $50 or so. My 2005 F250 supposedly did not have the block heater option but on the advice of another forum I went looking and found it on the passenger side. I had to turn the wheel to get in to see it but it's there.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:19 PM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I found the block heater. In the 08 the entire front of the grill opens and it was tie wrapped under the radiator We are having a really hard time finding ULSD in our area. The nearest station that has it is 5 miles away. We have been on diesel forums for a long time..We like to be prepared. We pump diesel near everyday (school bus driver)and we have seen all colors of handles. Just look for the dirty greasy one.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:29 PM   #30
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa
We pump diesel near everyday (school bus driver)and we have seen all colors of handles. Just look for the dirty greasy one.
I have never seen any color but green in the places I have traveled. After reading some of these posts I will be looking more carefully. The real test seems to be the one Rich mentioned above. The dirty greasy one.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote