Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2007, 09:22 AM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, if a GM dealer is doing the oil change I'd bet the drain the separator at that time. Just a guess but it makes sense.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:00 AM   #22
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
I called the GMC shop that does all my service. They drain the water every 10,000 miles when they replace my fuel filter. Between that and the fact that I try and buy fuel from truck stops that move large quantities, and only use top tier fuel is the reason I have never had a problem.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:12 PM   #23
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
This is turning into a very educational thread for a diesel newbie like myself. I appreciate the comments and have a much better idea of what to expect now. I'd rather ask people I know and trust - and have their own equipment on the line. Thanks!!
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:28 PM   #24
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If there was not a significant amount of water common in diesel fuel supplies, the manufactures would not build them with separator filters. These filters do their job. The reason I had a water warning is that the service department forgot to drain it at the filter change, not because I buy diesel at a water fountain. Draining the separated water is a normal part of servicing a diesel.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:02 PM   #25
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I believe it is recommended to drain the Ford ones every oil change. My dealer does this and I have never had a problem either. I have used power service in the winter to boost the anti-gelling capabilities of the fuel if i can not get #1 to mix in with it.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #26
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Ozzie
have you checked out the algae part yet?
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:39 PM   #27
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Hey Mickey...

I haven't had the time to read up on it yet (thanks for the suggestion), but have tried to find a source for Bio Medic. The resellers in our area listed on Lucas' own website haven't heard of it, so I'm thinking this must be an agricultural product. City folk don't seem to have a clue what it is and keep trying to steer me to other things.

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:47 PM   #28
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hazmic

Ozzie
have you checked out the algae part yet?
Unless your truck sits a lot, there is no need for concern regarding algae. Bacteria and slime usually build up when the truck (fuel) sits for a long time. I put a biocide in the diesel tank for my boat in the fall since it is not used for most of the winter...other wise, don't use it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, don't Iowa stations sell winterized #2 in the winter? That's what they sell in Kansas City.

OK, algae. I bought a 5 gallon plastic(?) can labeled "Diesel" and filled it tonight to keep with us during this trip. I figure I'll need to use that fuel before it "goes bad." Just how long should I expect it to be ok? A month? It's going to be in some heat since we're coming into summer.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #30
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Yes they do Steve. But I would rather mix my own or run straight #2 if it isn't going to get below zero for the next week or so. I drive mine to work almost every day so a tank of fuel don't stay in there long.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:13 PM   #31
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

If there was not a significant amount of water common in diesel fuel supplies, the manufactures would not build them with separator filters. These filters do their job. The reason I had a water warning is that the service department forgot to drain it at the filter change, not because I buy diesel at a water fountain. Draining the separated water is a normal part of servicing a diesel.
Draining the water separator should be a routine part of diesel maintenance, and not something left up to some 3rd party. By the time a water in fuel light comes on, your filter could have water in it as well. Add some cold weather to compound the problem. Fueling your truck is a crap shoot at best, so pick your station and use an additive that controls water and adds lubricity and use it regularly to keep the odds in your favor. There is much information on additives at www.dieselplace.com that would benefit all diesel owners even though it is primarily a Duramax site. There isn't enough history on the new ULSD to know conclusively how our trucks will react to it, but I wouldn't use it without a lubricity additive until there is more information that it isn't necessary. There currently is a thread on lubricity which discusses an independent additive study not yet completed that might have some shocking results. Here is a link: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=137922

happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:09 AM   #32
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Steve: I also use a yellow 5-gal diesel can when I travel; You're about to come to grips with the Dodge fueling wait (I call it that because I don't remember having to wait as long when trying to fuel my Fords to the brim). In any case, what I do when traveling is fuel until the nozzle cuts off; then top off using the 5 gals in the 'can'; slower fill, don't get the foaming as bad as from the nozzle. I'm done much quicker, have my tank topped off, and then I refill the 5 gal can in case I need it on the road. That way the fuel stays fresh; etc.. Since I'm not on the road as you are; when I get home I empty the 5 gal can into the tank first and then top off the TV; that way I don't have to worry about the fuel in the can going bad. Hope this helps (by the way, once the nozzle shuts off I normally can get a little more than 3 gallons more into the tank but it takes a Loooooooonnnnnnngggg time to do so.Wife can almost read a short novel (Mitchner's Hawaii for example) depending on the nozzle at the dealership.)
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #33
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Steve, your fuel will last months. If you are concerned, go to Wally World and get some Sta-Bil. I put it in my boat fuel tank, and have had it last for years, if renewed annually.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:11 PM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Bert. I didn't realize stabil works for diesel. I used to use it when winterizing lawnmowers, summerizing the snowblower, and winterizing the boat motor. I plan on using the can's contents often enough to not let it go bad anyhow.

Skypilot, I notice the Dodge filler neck is more upright than the Ford's. I could get another four gallons in the Ford, too, but it took a long time. On the Dodge I have tried but could only get three tenths more in the tank. After it foams the diesel without foam is sitting near the top. It does appear to go down very slowly but it appears it is pretty much full. Now I'm not sure if it is or not. I may try topping off with the separate tank although I'll not do that at a station unless there's nobody waiting for the pump. Thanks for the info.