Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2004, 04:01 AM   #1
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Calling quilters

Pat is interested in knowing who the other quilters are in the group. Don't think she'll be taking up lots of space here with quilting chat (you're safe guys I made her promise!). But she would like to know who else shares her love and what their latest projects are.

Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 04:20 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
My opinion probably isn't worth much but as far as I'm concerned they can talk quilting as much as they want. It's as legit a topic as anything else we talk about! Have at it and have fun.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 04:24 AM   #3
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Pat, I have sewed many quilts in my life time and now I am cross stitching a queen size tulip and heart quilt top for my granddaughter when she gets married. I have been working on it a few years now. Thank goodness she is only 10 and I have lots of time to finish it. LOL
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 07:52 AM   #4
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
I'm a quilter, but since my Montana came home this week, I don't really have any current projects. a few UFOs tho. I attend Saturday Sampler and Thimbelberries club, and those two projects usually take me all month to keep caught up. Oh, I am working on a few polar fleece tied quilts for Christmas presents and a couple for the MOntana, but those are quick and easy projects.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 08:19 AM   #5
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
No quiliting here, but I have made some pretty nifty afghan's in my days!
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:47 AM   #6
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
My wife is a quilter & has quilted over 100 quilts. Many of them can be seen on her site here; http://www.faebsite.com/ Most of these have been sold at auction.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 01:53 PM   #7
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
My Gosh, now THAT'S quilting. How beautiful those quilts of Faeb are. Are they hand quilted, or machine? Piecing hand or Machine?
If that's quilting, then I'm a rank begininer. I'm just learning hand quilting, and applique.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 02:55 PM   #8
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Thanks for the compliments. Glad you enjoyed my Quilt Album. The quilts are all machine pieced and hand quilted except those on the Newest
Quilt pages... http://faeb.freeservers.com/index/qu...album2pg1.html
which are compeletely machine made. I have sold all the others but may take these
to auction next spring.
faeb
Old 11-13-2004, 09:31 AM   #9
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Faeb--what a gorgeous array of work!! Your things are really terrific! The album is super. So glad that I had Bill ask the question otherwise we never would have known about your wonderful talent. Like FTW, I am feeling like a beginner too--but I sure am inspired to try some more new projects. My last was quilted jackets for my Mom and sister. Next a baby quilt for the newest grandchild. Then I think I will start quilts for the kids weddings--just to make sure they have them when the time comes. But SSHHHHH--don't tell them cause like Linda's granddaughter they are still mighty young!
Old 11-13-2004, 11:27 AM   #10
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Pat, thanks for the nice compliments. You must remember that you have to get started to get done and I have always found that the getting started on a project is the hardest part.... deciding what to do, choosing the pattern, gathering up what you need and getting the machines and sewing room set-up.... After that the fun can begun.... get organized and it will all fall together... Send me a photo of your projects if you can... I would love to see what you are doing...
Until next time...
faeb
Old 11-13-2004, 05:07 PM   #11
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
Faye's quilts are amazing. Faye please share your tips on quilting in the Montana.

Everyone please share good favorite quilt shops.

I have made heirloom baby quilts for 4 grandchildren and several for close friends. I have made two fannel raggedy quilts for the grandsons and have started the raggedy quilts for the granddaughters -- hope to finish them before Christmas.
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 11:17 AM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I also love to quilt and we just returned from the Houston International Quilt Show which was fabulous. The quilts are out-of-this world. And there were plenty of vendors selling every quilting item known to man....or woman. It was quite an experience. I've done mostly traditional quilts, entirely by machine. I have the opposite problem of Faeb.....I enjoy the planning and starting better than sticking with it to finish them. That's why she has all those beautiful finished quilts and I have 10 or 12 quilt tops waiting to be quilted.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 04:34 PM   #13
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
I haven't been doing much with my quilting in the last few years. I did buy a
machine quilter that works like the commerical type and machine quilted the quilts
that are on the Newest Quilt page. I quilted 10 quilts in 2 weeks with it so I got most of my tops quilted. It is so much faster to quilt them like this. They make good quality quilts if one is not a purest and have to have hand-quilted ones. You asked for tips so here one for now.... it is a good one.... I never use the thimbles made special for quilting. I just use a real good quality regular sewing thimble. My middle finger on the hand under the quilt would get very sore from getting pricked... It would get hard with the tough skin like on the heel of my foot.... then crack open.... so to solve the problem... use a emery board like you use on your nail each day... file it down smooth then put two coats of clear nail polish on the spot.... works like a charm and no more sore needle pricked fingers....
Now I'm off to bed.... good night
faeb
Old 11-15-2004, 03:56 PM   #14
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I enjoyed reading this thread on quilting. I also enjoy quilting, and did someone mention Afghans? I crochet while we are travleling and quilt when we get there. We really wanted to get a 3575 because of its large work table, but Montana discontinued them. My quilts are completly machine made on my portable Elna Carina.

My quilts are usually made as gifts. I hate shopping for gifts, I'd much rather make quilts and Afghans. Making them as gifts ensures that they get completely finished.

My favourite quilt shop? "Bears and Quilting by the Bay", Fairhope AL.

Donna. (presently in Gulf Shores, AL at Gulf Breeze RV Park.)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 09:47 AM   #15
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
Speaking of quilts----my youngest son is a Harley-Davidson fanatic. Although not quite well-heeled enough to purchase one, he has quite a library collection and models---not to mention some stock in the company. Well, as he was growing up, when some of the family members cruised across the country, they'd stop in Harley stores & buy him T-shirts for Christmas, B'days etc. Well needless to say, he outgrew (size-wise) most of his older "collection". My sister-in-law took all of his old Harley shirts and made him a quilt out of them---its really neat to see Harley shirt graphics from all over the country---including Hawaii. The quilt now hangs on the wall over his bed. He took it to the local Harley store & they offered him $850.00 for it---he declined/all he wanted to do was show them the quilt.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 01:49 AM   #16
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
jrgwdenner--the Houston IQF has been a "wanna do it trip" since my SIL won the People's Favorite category back in the 80's. Lucky you to actually get there.

faeb--That machine quilter sounds like a really great investment. I love doing the tops--but have a seriously hard time getting motivated to do the actual quilting. Pictures?? Darn it! We are still in the last century when it comes to sending photos on the net. Perhaps Santa will be good to us this year. Appreciate the tip on the nail polish--should work great and keep the finger from feeling like a pincushion.

tweir--That sounds like an awesome quilt for a Harley lover. My friend did a similar thing with her kids HS and college t-shirts. That way you never have to give up those "old favorites"!

My favorite quilt shops?
Endless Mountains Quilt Shop, Taughkannock PA
G Street Fabrics, Bethesda MD (if you haven't been to this store or the one on G St in DC, this is a must do while in the DC area--the selection of fabrics is incredible and never the same twice.)

Enjoyed reading the posts. Hope everyone will keep us up to date on projects and progress!

Pat
Old 11-18-2004, 10:44 AM   #17
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
If you're ever near Franklin, TN, south of Nashville, there's a quilt shop that has every pattern and quilting magazine, including past issues, ever published plus a great inventory of fabric. Just wish I could remember the name.....
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote