Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
AJH
Established Member

M.O.C. #11247
Holding tanks

New to the Montana, and even new here. (10 minutes) but love it so far. But I do have a few little problems I am trying to work out. The Keystone manuel does not really cover a lot. Even finding parts is very difficult.

Can anyone tell me the size of the Black, gray, and kitchen waste tanks on a 2005 36' Montana.

Next question... When my shower drain and black water tanks get full they overflow into the under carrage of the rig. I assume this is not normal. I took part of the cover off the under carrage today and drained the water. Also looked for a place to get at the tanks where the drains enter the tanks. Any idea's? Any quick fixes?

AJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
AJH, If you go to the Keystone website you should be able to click on floor plans for the 2005 model year. That should tell you the size of the tanks. Now, for the bad news. You probably have either a cracked tank or cracked connection at the top of the tank. I just had my black tank replaced and it did the same thing. Once it filled up it would leak out of the top and collect in the belly. I noticed the leaking one day while dumping and pulled the belly pan apart and it flowed out. It will cost around $1000 for the tank to be replaced by a dealer, around $200 (with shipping) for the tank and about 5 hours labor. You might just have a double leak as the tanks are not connected......Good luck and Welcome to "The Best Darned Forum on the WWW!!!!"
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Tank sizes can be found on the Montana web site. Click on the year, 2005, and then under 'specs' you can see the data you asked about and more.
There is no overflow on your holding tanks. When they are completely full you will see the water building up in the shower floor or the kitchen sink. For black water the toilet does not empty.
The 'overflow' you described is a leak at the top of the tanks. Not uncommon and no easy fix that I am aware of. I believe you have to remove the tank to fix the leak. Others may chime in as to how to fix.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Not the preferred solution, but you could just empty the tanks before they get slam full. You don't want your black tank to drain straight through, but you don't have to let it get full to the brim. You will want your grey tanks to have some water to run through after dumping the black. I'm sure you'll want to get the leaks fixed, but you can make due in the short term by dumping earlier.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
AJ, What model number do you have? That will help us a lot!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
AJH you miight want to read some of this post by Richfaa.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=28372
Old 03-17-2011, 03:03 AM   #7
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
On my rig I have 3 tanks. Gray galley tank, Gray shower & bathroom sink and Black tank. As most have found we don't trust the Tank Level Gauges to tell us when they are full. My rule is since I travel by myself is every 3rd day the black tank is dumped, I can get away with probaly 3 showers, but I dump after 2. Galley tank gets dumped every 3rd day. More often if I run alot of water down the kitchen sink. I don't remember the last time I looked at the gauges. I just don't want to run into the overfill problem. I always dump the tanks before traveling.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
AJH
Established Member

M.O.C. #11247
HI all Thanks for all the advise. Made big progress today. Ronda what do you mean by model number LIKE 3475RL?
I tore into the belly today and then filled the black tank first.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
AJH
Established Member

M.O.C. #11247
HI all Thanks for all the advise. Made big progress today. Ronda what do you mean by model number LIKE 3475RL?
I tore into the belly today and then filled the black tank first. Found that leak real easy. Noticed a little wood rot on the Basement floor. So I cut out the rotten wood and filled the tank. Ended up 2 little leaks in the seam or joint where the pipe was connected to the tank. A little plumbers Goop should work great. I use it on everything when working on my rentals. It will plug a fire hydren.
Now the gray water was little different story. No leaks at frist but as it filled, and the weight of the water opened them up. Most were tiny little cracks. I used some apoxy from HD to try and patch them. Won't know till tomorrow if it worked. I do plan to change the tank when I get home next month. There were 6 in all by the time the tank was full.
I will attempt to finish it tomorrow. Once again thanks for the help. I be looking again when I replace the tank SOOOOO do go anywhere.
AJ