Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Just a silly little thing....

but today we realized how convenient the new bottles of concentrated laundry detergent are for RVers. They take up only 1/3 or 1/4 of the size of the big jugs of detergent and do the same number of loads. They're 3 times more concentrated than the regular liquid detergents so you need to use a lot less. It's always nice to have a space saving product.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Great tip!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:54 AM   #3
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
I'm with you Judy. Got the concentrated about a month ago and takes up much less room and works just as well. I too was thrilled that I no longer had to lug that big bottle to the laundry.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:56 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Switched to the smaller concentrates almost on the day they were introduced. Not only easier to store but also easier to carry to the laundromat. Now if they could only concentrate Chlorox.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:16 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
DITTO all comments!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:36 AM   #6
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Judy - we are with you all the way. Thanks for the tip.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:42 AM   #7
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
What brand is the concentrates? We use Tide liquid most of the time.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:04 AM   #8
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrgwdenner

but today we realized how convenient the new bottles of concentrated laundry detergent are for RVers. They take up only 1/3 or 1/4 of the size of the big jugs of detergent and do the same number of loads. They're 3 times more concentrated than the regular liquid detergents so you need to use a lot less. It's always nice to have a space saving product.
Powdered are even a greater space saver since liquid is 90% water.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:07 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
The powdered detergent containers are actually larger for the same amount of loads. And I personally like the liquid so you can pour it right on stains. They come in several brands and will probably appear in all brands soon. We bought All, I think, and it comes in fagrance-free, with bleach, even one for front loading washers, but I don't know why that soap is different. There are lots of choices and it may be that Tide comes in the concentrated form, too.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #10
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
Where we are the laundry room is up stairs (don't know who's smart idea that was).
So I took 3 water bottles (Propel water bottles are good have a wider mouth) and filled them with detergent, fabric softener & clorox 2 - if I need bleach I take the whole jug (but could put some in another bottle).

I like to sew and making tote bags is my favorite - so I have a tote with handles that just holds the three bottles - makes it super easy to carry and I don't mind storing the larger bottles or refilling the small ones.

Just another idea for everyone to consider.
(ps I like Tide)

Laura (aka Rocky2)
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:18 PM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sounds like a great solution for your second story laundry room, Laura.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #12
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I like the new concentrated laundry detergent in the stick house and Montana..so much better than those heavy ones.
Judy, I accidently picked up a bottle for the new front loading machines and it was way thicker, seemed to sud more too, Next time I will be more careful when I get a bottle off the shelf.
Kathy
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:48 PM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for answering my curiosity, Kathy. I wondered how it would be different. It pays to read the labels.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:31 PM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I'm curious also. Seems like front loading forumla would be less sudsy. We use Tide powder w/bleach. I bought a plastic cannister to keep it in in the Monty. Ed does the shopping and most of the laundry and he isn't in to trying new things so I imagine until I go to the store we will keep on keeping on.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:19 AM   #15
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
I just heard on our local news station this morning that the best laundry detergent is Tide liquid/with or without bleach additives. For front loaders the best is Costco's Kirkland brand of HE liquid detergent. Test was by Consumer Reports. Those with front loader machines are supposed to only use the HE detergent because it's low sudsing. Thought that was interesting and neat that we have a brand new Costco in the area.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:22 AM   #16
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That's an interesting report. We used Tide for years and recently decided that any brand would do. May need to rethink that.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:01 AM   #17
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
The reason forlow sudsing detergents in washers is that the suds don't clean, all MFG add a foaming agent to basically let you know that the detergent is working. Does absolutley nothing for cleaning.
The front loader is the best you can get for washing clothes, becasue it is basically like beating your clothes on a rock, low water levels, low suds levels, medium rine levels. Front loaders rinse easier than top loaders, because the water is forced through the fabric by the lifting and dropping action of the lift paddles in the drum. Top loaders try to achieve the same thing with high levels for wash and rinse.
All commercial machines with the exception of batch loaders and tunnel machines use front loading.
Serviced the stupid things for twenty two years and sold chemicals for same until I broke my back one too many times
Hope this elps, Oh, by the way, All laundry detergents have to meet a minimal fedral requirement. Only a few exceed them, Arm and Hammer,
All, and Cheer being some of the few. Perfumes are the allergy ingredient in detergents, so if you are alloergic to a detergent it is the perfume usually.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:40 PM   #18
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rickety

The reason for low sudsing detergents in washers is that the suds don't clean, all MFG add a foaming agent to basically let you know that the detergent is working. Does absolutley nothing for cleaning.
The front loader is the best you can get for washing clothes, becasue it is basically like beating your clothes on a rock, low water levels, low suds levels, medium rinse levels. Front loaders rinse easier than top loaders, because the water is forced through the fabric by the lifting and dropping action of the lift paddles in the drum. Top loaders try to achieve the same thing with high levels for wash and rinse.
All commercial machines with the exception of batch loaders and tunnel machines use front loading.
Serviced the stupid things for twenty two years and sold chemicals for same until I broke my back one too many times
Hope this helps, Oh, by the way, All laundry detergents have to meet a minimal fedral requirement. Only a few exceed them, Arm and Hammer,
All, and Cheer being some of the few. Perfumes are the allergy ingredient in detergents, so if you are allergic to a detergent it is the perfume usually.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:51 PM   #19
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Isn't this forum an amazing source of information? Thanks, Rickety.