Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
travelinsparky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12412
Add second AC

Has anyone added the second AC them selves? if so do you have any sugestions as to what I might need before stating. Thanks.

travelinsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I did te Pelican 2, easy install, after you get it up on the roof.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
I priced a new AC on the internet and then approached my dealer. He matched the internet price and charged me $100 to install (my trailer was pre-wired). So, I could not see the benefit of hoisting the unit up on top by myself. So....you may want to check around before you decide to DIY. I put in a Coleman 13.5 btu unit which is actually more than enough for the bedroom even in 100 degree + weather.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Camping World is having a sale starting 5 Nov and will install any purchased item for $29.00.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
bobcat92
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12853
I installed a Dometic Penguin II this summer. I will parrot what everyone else who has installed ones says the hard part is getting it on the roof. You need to decide if you are going to install a ducted unit or one that is a direct vent. You need to order the appropriate grill assembly based on this decision. We ordered our ducted grill off of Amazon. The AC unit was an online RV parts company who I can not remember at the moment. If your 5th wheel was prewired for the second AC unit it is pretty easy after you have the AC unit on the roof and the roof vent has been removed. You will need (4) 1/4" x 8" hex head bolts. They don't come with the AC unit or the grill assembly. You will need six wire nuts for #12 wire, electrical tape,two #8 x 3/4" self tapping sheet metal screws and 2' - #12/2 AWG Romex Wire, one romex clamp, single gang cover. Center the AC unit over the opening created from removing the roof vent and make sure the control wire and AC junction box is inside the opening. Attach junction box to side of opening towards the front of the trailer with the two sheet metal screw. Make sure it is centered. Install the divider that separates the return air from the cooled air in the grill base assembly. Insulate the divider. The insulation provided for the divider was really cheap and thin so I bought adhesive backed foil insulation at Home Depot. Probably didn't need it but it made me feel better and I had enough to completely cover what I thought needed to be done.Place grill base on ceiling and install the 4 bolts thru the grill assembly base and tighten evenly so that the AC gasket is compressed to a 1/2". On the passenger side of the vent opening framing there should be an opening with the thermostat and temperature monitor control cable inside(one looks like telephone cord with the connector and the other has a connector that will only fit the temperature sensor wire on unit) The AC junction box is towards the front of the trailer and is on the other side of internal roof framing. The junction box is a remodel box and can be removed. Remove the cover of the box and turn the two screws to loosen it and after the levers are back against the box pull down. I put my hand in the opening where I found the control wire and feed the romex towards the front threw an opening I found in the framing. Once I feed it through I used the other hand to reach through the hole created by removing the AC junction box to grab the romex. There is insulation in the roof cavity so it took me a couple of tries to get a hold of the romex. Pull romex into remodel box, put box back in ceiling, strip wire, wire nut and electrical tape wire nut. Back in the vent opening connect sensor wires to the corresponding connectors on the AC unit wires. Wire nut romex wires in jbox and electrical tape wire nuts. put cover back on jbox. Put grill on grill base. The screws that came with our grill were to short so I used 4- 1" x #8 self tapping screws to attach the grill. You will need to take the cover off the AC unit and change the settings on control board. If you leave the default switch settings you will probably get and error on your thermostat.

If I would have had all the correct parts when I started it would have taken me about three hours to install.

It sounds harder that it really is. You will need another person to help with moving the AC unit. If you have experience wiring up an outlet and some mechanical aptitude it isn't a difficult project.

One more tip go on line and find the installation instructions and print them out. Dometic doesn't ship the unit with them. They assume you are an RV tech and already have them.

My dealer wanted $1400 to furnish and install the second AC. We spent around $900 for materials for this project. If they would have charged $100 I would have had them install but not for $500.
bobcat92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hook, I love when CW does that special. It's not the first time they've had the $29 installation for ANYTHING you buy. The bad news is I don't buy anything during those times.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Youse guys must have way better techs at CW that us cowboys out west of the Mississippi. CW techs out here are hard pressed to replace a bulb in the entry light and get it right the first time. Although I did my own 2nd A/C install, $100 install would be appealing had I not had a willing neighbor with a second ladder. After it's on the roof, the rest is a breeze.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
vibetech1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13291
Hi Larry, just curious if that install price of $29.00 would include a black tank sprayer like the tornado? Camping world recently quoted $350.00 for installing one in our master bath black tank.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HOOK

Camping World is having a sale starting 5 Nov and will install any purchased item for $29.00.
vibetech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:18 AM   #9
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Mine was a one man job. However I have a large tractor with forks on the loader. As others have said, once on the roof easy job to finish, that is if the unit is pre-wired and you don't have to fish wires over there. Cleaning the roof really good is important while being careful not to puncture the membrane. I used the Dometic Brisk Air Two, 15000 btu, weighed in at 72 lbs and all the hardware was with it, just supply tools and labor. Mine is a free blow not ducted. Ordered from R V Adventure, total cost including shipping $652.00. (I have no involvement in this company other than as a customer.) Good Luck
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
travelinsparky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12412
Thanks for the info. Did you have to put any caulking down before setting the unit if so what did you use? Its turning cold up here so will put it of till spring before leaving for the east coast. I have a tractor with a loader getting to the roof no problem, will get some help setting it.
travelinsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:29 AM   #11
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
I did not put any caulking down, the thick gasket did the trick, tested with water hose after installation completed, no water leaks.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:43 AM   #12
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Just to support what's already been said ... the supplied gasket is the seal. I've had a few A/C's off that were factory installed ... never any additional caulking. I'd not bother as by the time the install was complete ... you'd be wearing some, the camper would be wearing some, as well as the door handle, the ladder, and finally the A/C
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote