Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Sign of the times?

A while back there was a post about dealerships closing up. Last week the DW went to the dealership where we bought our 3400 not 5 months ago, to pick up a part we had ordered. Today she drove by there again. Dealership is gone. Empty lot, sign gone, only a large empty building left. It was a fairly good sized dealership too. Been there for years. Sad. Very very sad.

2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We stopped at a flyingJ at the 78 MM on I80 East in PA.After fueling we parked the rig and a transporter pulled in next to us. She was delivering a "New Vision" TT to N.J. I of course had to ask her many questions. Her company had over 50 drivers the first of the year...They now have 6. Hundreds are laid off in the Elkhart area. Then Rv industry is in the dumps. Most of the rv's are being transported to Canada as the strength of the CA Dollar make it advantages. Plants had been working on already placed orders and dealer inventory but that dried up and they even had rv's called back while in transport. It It was doom and gloom..it even depressed Helen and myself.

"Elkhart unemployment rate fifth highest in state, led by struggling RV industry"" This headline was from April 08.Do a Google to to see what is really going on.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
We traveled on the 3rd and camper trafic was lite but our campground and another one I contacted was full for the 4th weekend. Camper trafic on the 3rd was lite but many campers on the road today.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Just got my email newsletter from Good Sam. Apparently there is some confusion as to the state of the RV economy. An author of the lead article states that times are great in the RV industry and many dealerships are reporting upswings in business. Anyone else read that article??? I must be living on the wrong planet???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Sales are up in Oklahoma from what I am hearing. At the same time we are an oil state so the economy isn't as bad here as it is in other parts of the nation.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
We were at the service center the beginning of this week. The whole area was very quiet. Very few units being taken out by drivers. Some manufactures were closed down; we feel partly, because of the 4th of July holiday. Also, talked to a security guard that says RUMOR is a lot of manufactures might be going to a four day work week. Sure hope things get better soon.

Sharon
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
So... What's going on??? Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of gray area here. The RV industry is either doing incredibly well OR it is doing incredibly bad. Nothing in-between?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Read the same article, Dave! Can't figure it out either! With the crunch on the fuel, it's obvious there will be less RV's on the roads but from what I've heard- most are heading for shorter trips and weekend journies instead of the longer 3-4-5-6 week trips as usual. The local CG's should be happy to hear that! Camp ground in North Platte, NE was full every night we were there about three weeks ago and they were all migrating instead of the full weekend or week at one spot- of course that could be because there is not a lot to do around NP at least now that the Nebraska Land Days are over!
Off the subject-- Dave- How did the shoulder appointment go? PM or email me on it! With my shoulder still acting up, I'm really interested in how you make out on this deal!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:58 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What tbhd saw at the service center matches what the transporter told us a couple of days ago.. There is what those dependent on the RV industry want us to believe and what the facts are. Google into the Elkhart, Ind newspapers and see the facts.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:04 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I reported in another thread that my favorite technician was let go. He said that the week he was let go they sold 10 trailers. He said MH's were at a very low but that trailer sales were up at the place he was working at. I can't tell you the reason, but I am thinking that people are buying to vacation closer to home and enjoy the lifestyle of "camping." I'll bet if you did a comparison, tent sales will be up.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:26 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
When we made an appointment at Fox RV in Elkhart area for repairs, he told us things had been quite slow and that they had been worried. That it had picked up recently.

Ran over the the state park last night, around 6 PM, weekenders still showing up, figure on rough guess it was 75% full already. Saw maybe 5 big rigs, understandable, many of the sites in this newer state park just will not hold big rigs. We think there were about 50% of the sites full with popups, many older. Lots of tents too. Did see one large motor home in there, he used every inch of the length of the site he was on.

Heard from gal I was chatting with yesterday that last weekend in a local private park that is basically over the hill from where we live, that it was pretty empty. She asked management at that campground how business was, response,cept for race weekend it was poor.

We live in a recreational area, state park, race track, lots of lakes, other campgrounds, tourist attractions. Seems to me that traffic, as in vehicle traffic, has been down.

Have not been past some of the dealers, so, cannot comment on whether they are still open or inventories down.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:03 AM   #12
catsR4me
Established Member

M.O.C. #6762
It will be interesting to see what the trickle-down effect will be on the RV parks. Will prices go up/down? Will parks close?
catsR4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:22 AM   #13
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
The local campgrounds here are full on the weekends, Corps of Engineers and we are at Adventureland for the summer, Don works at the amusement park, lots of Iowa license plates. The campground charges $29.00 a night, pricey, but adjacent to the amusement park. The local Montana dealer went out of business and some of the RV dealers here have some inventory, the Hitchiker dealer does not.

Does anyone know where utopia is? We are looking for a place with 3 seasons, ha, ha, when we can't afford this full-time lifestyle anymore. Anyway, snow that melts and not too far south with summer heat and humidity! Spoiled, aren't we? Has to be near Wal-Mart! Judy
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #14
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
We were in Nashville, Indiana at the Last Resort Campground 4th of July weekend. He had maybe three sites not filled. State park had a sign out that they were full. BUT when everyone left Sunday I'd say there were five of us campers left. We were there the previous weekend also and camp ground was pretty much empty. This is a popular tourist area and is usually full.

Sharon
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:20 AM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Here on the west coast, weekenders fill up the state parks. Seems families are staying closer to home. Many RV Parks are not full on weekdays or weekends. Fulltimers are traveling less and staying longer.

When we move, we take notice of the number of RV's traveling on the road. IMHO, they are down significantly. On a recent weekday move from Oregon to Washington and traveling about 200 miles, we only saw four motorhomes/trailers.

The RV industry is going through an adjustment, hope Keystone/Thor is prepared for a change.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:33 PM   #16
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Today, I called our dealership (Bish's in Idaho Falls, Idaho) to schedule a warranty visit for our Montana. I asked our salesman how things were going there, and he said the Montanas are rolling out regularly and that business is good. I surely was glad to hear his voice because we liked doing business with him, and he's been available to answer every question we've had since we purchased our 3585SA from him last August. No doubt about it--a dependable, efficient dealership and salesman goes a long, long way in establishing repeat customers, which we will be eventually.
Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #17
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
The dealer I bought my Mountaineer from sold to a chain dealership called RV Station. They kept the good service people I had dealt with. I bought my 3400 RL from them and have been well-pleased. They have three or four sites I believe.
Campers are going shorter distances now with fuel being what it is.
I called for a reservation for August 19th last week at a Texas State park and they were booked up.
I got a slot at Lake Texoma for that weekend.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #18
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
At my dealer yesterday we were talking and the manager stated that there are lots of RV Dealers closing their doors. We didn't have time to go into any more detail than that due to customers coming in.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:14 AM   #19
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Just to give you a perspective from this part of the continent, as discussed with my dealer. MH sales are not so good as people are getting scared off by gas prices, higher insurance premiums and rapid depreciation on these units. However my dealer is selling 5th wheels as fast as he can get them in. Many people are trading in conventional trailers and MH's for 5v'rs. They are not buying trucks but getting the 5v'rs delivered to seasonal sites. The dealer's trucks are flat out moving 5th wheels. At my CG there are 5 of us in a row all in this category that have moved from MH's in the last two years. Why 5v'ers and not park models? Echoing my own thinking is that you can simply call for a tow for a 5th and change locations but a park model is a more permanent commitment to one location. I plan on getting a truck but when I consider the cost of a truck versus paying for a few tows it just doesn't make sense to buy one until I do some long distance towing/trips. I haven't done the math yet but it is probably cheaper for me to ship my 5V'er to Florida from here for the winter than tow it myself. All I need then is a small car to run around. No big dually with a thirst worthy of a sailer on shore leave. Been a sailer - been there :-)
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:22 AM   #20
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Yet another RV manufacturer is closing there also:http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/26419574.html

Pilgrim International...they make Open Road & Pilgrim 5ver's

We previously owned two of these units

Too bad also are the people who live & work there.

Lambchop
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote