Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2006, 12:23 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Thinking of Spring

I have read everything that came with the new Monty last May, but in a couple of weeks I will be getting her ready for another camping season.

We have less than 4000 miles on our 2005.5 2955. Can some of you more experienced folks give me some hints what you would do as Spring maintenance.

With this low mileage do I need to be concerned with brake adjustments yet? Things like that would be appreciated. I can't wait to fire the Monty up.

By the way I checked with MIMF, Dale the Lippert guy about the dry spray lubricant that Pull rite has OKed for the slider hitch lub. He said that since it is a dry graphite spray lube it would be great for the slider lubrication. So two birds with one stone!

Thanks!

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:14 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
This is a great question, Bob. My first suggestion is that you head south in the fall so you can avoid spring maintenance but not everyone can do that. We live in the south so I'll have to defer to others for good answers.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:20 AM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
You need to get out of town to fill up that map !!!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:42 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
My philosophy would be to make sure all systems were in top shape upon going out. If the season is started with all in first rate condition, you are less likely to encounter problems.

If it has been setting up for awhile, I would pull wheels and check packing and as long as you are doing that, adjust the brakes. I would check those notorious shackles for undue wear. Check all the fluid levels along with waste tanks and valving. Work, inspect, and lubricate the slides and the landing legs. Check the plumbing connections for loosening especially at the drains. Lubricate the potty gasket. Check the shower faucets. They have a tendency to dry out and begin leaking when not used. Check for spiderwebs in the water heater air intake orfice. Run some chlorox water through the fresh water hoses.

Mostly, I am just thinking about all the things I have to do when I get back from Hong Kong and break out the Monty. I had rather overdo the pre-trip maintenance than find myself on the side of the road waiting for service.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:02 PM   #5
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Being am fulltimer I would say you need to shoot two shots of grease into your wheels--at least once a year.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:32 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bob, spray some of that lube on a sheet of cardboard, spread dirt on it, shake the dirt off. If some of the dirt sticks, I wouldn't use it on the slide mechanism. This is a trick one of the service guys at Keystone showed me.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:31 AM   #7
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Speaking of Spring.... OK, I know I'm headed for trouble, but I can't resist showing these shots I took yesterday in our front yard:

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:46 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
David and Shirley,
What a nice Valentine couple you make! And what beautiful flowers you have in East Texas. I need to get home and reacquaint myself with all these beautiful things. Been away too long.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:44 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
True signs of spring, padre. Thanks for sharing. It reminds me that the azaleas are coming. My favorite time of the year.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:10 AM   #10
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Thanks, HamRad for your kind words, especially encouraging for an old couple in their 49th year of marriage.

And also including Judy, I'm afraid the plants got a bit of a nip last night. Our temperature got down into the mid 20s.

Our preparation for our trip to the Valley must be not unlike that of Carol and Al in a hurry to get out of frozen Michigan. I've waited until this morning to "water up", and we will be leaving right after church this afternoon.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:36 AM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Safe ride you two love birds, (49 years, wow, that is a fab number!) See ya here later this week.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:37 AM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Safe ride you two love birds, (49 years, wow, that is a fab number!) See ya here later this week.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:51 AM   #13
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RKassl

I have read everything that came with the new Monty last May, but in a couple of weeks I will be getting her ready for another camping season.

We have less than 4000 miles on our 2005.5 2955. Can some of you more experienced folks give me some hints what you would do as Spring maintenance.
We bought our Monty last July and are also waiting to get her de-winterized and back on the road. I have scheduled to drop the unit off with our dealer for a week before our spring "shakedown" trip (only about an hour from the dealer in case there are any major problems). In addition to flushing out the anti-freeze, I want them to run all the sliders in and out (the bedroom slider needs to be adjusted - does not seal as tightly as it should on the bottom), operate all the systems (water, hot water heater, furnace, electrical, etc.), check and properly inflate tires, a spring bath, fully charge the batteries, and top up the propane. In addition, I have been making a list of problems people have discussed on this forum since we put the Monty in storage last October (broken cable brackets, improperly insulated wiring, etc.) and will have them checked out. My major contribution to the process, other than paying the bill, will be to re-install the batteries ... an exercise in awkward weight-lifting that I do not look forward to with much enthusiasm!

Bill

Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote