Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Mor-ryde pin box help

We had our new Morryde pin box installed Friday and headed to the mountains. The ride was as rough if not more rough than before. I made sure the 5er was level with the tv when hitched. Dealer not open until Tuesday for me to call them. DW very disapointed in spending that kind of money and not seeing any difference. It was still bouncing (gonna have shocks checked this week) and still getting a lot of "chucking" forward and back.

Anyone have any ideas? We put about 500 miles on it and couldn't tell any good difference.

chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Steve

Sounds like a bad install, mis-adjustment to me. (note: Al and I don't have Mor-Ryde, there is the disclaimer)

BUT, a lot of our friends do, and a lot of people here at MOC do, and they all say it takes a LOT of the chucking out.

The way I understand, it will not handle a lot of bounce. Might I suggest Bilsteins (HAHA, LOVE OURS!!)

You should not feel that the ride was more rough than before, something NOT right there.

Good luck, and let us hear what you find out.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Agree - it must be a bad install. We have the 5th Airborne and it worked great right from the start. Have heard good things about Mor-Ryde, too, relative to the chuck and bounce either disappearing or almost so.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
I have a Mor/ryde pin box, part number RPB72-1116,on an '07 monty 3000 RK. I have about 7k miles with it and very impressed with it. I don't know what model you have, but mine really dampens the forward,back jerking motion. Mine is not designed for vertical load dampening. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:05 PM   #5
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
We had the Mor/ryde pin box installed at the Goshen rally last month.
Another member at the rally told me that it would take a little while for the box to loosen up, he was absolutely right about that. We had cabinet door and drawers coming open that had never been open before and was ready to take the pin box back.
After three days of traveling, it loosened up and works good now.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Level is one thing but load and center of gravity are equally if not more important. Make sure you have at least 18% of the trailer weight on the pin. 20% is even better. If the cog is too far back no pin box change will help.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:37 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I installed my own MorRyde pin box about 1000 miles ago. Switched it out with a Lippert 1116 on our 3400RL. I will be the first to admit that it did not take all the chucking out but I freel it took out about 70-80% of it. As stated, it does not do much for vertical movement. I also founnd that on a REAL bumpy road it was not as effective. I don't know what a "bad install" would be. I ordered the pin box to replace the Lippert 1116 specifically. Maybe they installed the wrong box.....Hope this helps......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:29 AM   #8
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I love our Mor-Ryde. Took almost all chucking out. Roads which had bad chucking previously are now just rough roads but without the chucking. Our hitch was not installed level when we first had it installed but since I have levelled it myself I have to constantly check the inside rear view mirror to see if I am still pulling the coach as I can't "feel" it anymore.

Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #9
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
I have a 5th Abn and am not that familiar with the Mor-Ryde. The 5th Abn has a shock in which you must maintain a certain air pressure...does Mor-Ryde have the same, and if so is the correct amount of pressure in it?
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
No, Eagle Man the Mor-Ryde has a 'floating' rubber pad that absorbs the shock, it is for chucking only.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #11
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
A bad road is a bad road no matter what you do but the Morryde will reduce chucking and also help the ride in the truck. Why don't you call Morryde and talk to them? They are very good people to work with.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:49 AM   #12
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Thanks for all the help. I will call my dealer Tuesday and if they can't help, I'll call morryde. That's what I like about this forum, sooo much great help and suggestions.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:31 PM   #13
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Talked with Chris from Morryde today. He said that they sent a pin box for a 5er with a gross weight of 18K. Since mine is only 14K, he said the rubber sping is too rigid. Said that he would send me a new spring and I could install or they would pay for dealer to install. He said it only required removing four bolts and replacing spring then re-intalling bolts. He guaranteed that this would take care of it. Real nice guy to talk with. Hope this does it. He said that Morryde would do whatever it took to make me happy with the product. So far a real stand up company. I'll repost once I change it out and try it. Thanks for all the replys.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:14 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
ChieflawDawg, I just changed mine out, I had a #5, I bought a #4.
I unbolted it and let it swing down, then removed the rubber 'spring'.
We dealt with Greg, another nice helpful guy there. I had to buy mine...Bah, mumble, mumble.
(Click on view as slideshow and set interval to 5 or 6)
Here are some photo's
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote