Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nosticks

I was having trouble using the mirror at first, but made a small modification that now allows me to clearly see the alignment just prior to hitching. I bought some 1 1/2" wide white reflective tape. I put a stripe down the center of the pin box, then placed a stripe on center below the jaws of the hitch, and again a stripe down the front of the hitch facing the trucks rear window.

Day or night with the cargo light on, this does two things. When I first begin to hitch, a few feet away from coupling, I adjust and look in the trucks rear view mirror to line up the tape stripe on the front of the hitch (the stripe facing the truck window) with the pin box stripe. As I get closer to coupling the mirror on the Monty lets me see the stripe below the jaws of the hitch. I just keep the tape stripes in parallel on top of one another, like a range marker for you boaters out there, until I connect.

It really is simple to do and to use as I am solo most of the time when I hitch up. This has saved me jumping in and out of the truck countless times until I'm hitched.
We do the same thing but with yellow tape..Just follow the yellow tape road.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:54 AM   #22
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I also use the white tape idea as I have a tool box which prevented seeing the hitch. I put the white tape on pinbox, and tool box, so I can line them up. I also put a black dot on the inside mirror lining up the line on tool box and hitch. Just my solution.
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:11 AM   #23
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I use the white tape method and it works great.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote