Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Slide Awning

Hey Gang, We have been here in Northwest Oklahoma for almost two months now and our kitchen awning is about to bite the dust. With winds of 40 to 60 mph almost every day the awning is showing a lot of fraying, I think I saw on here where someone had replaced the fabric. I guess what I need to know is where do you get this stuff and how hard is it to replace?? Thanks for any and all information

prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We replaced from a vendor at the flea market in Donna Texas,

BUT, you can buy replacement fabric from the manufacturer of the awning, possibly via CW. It is not cheap, and they charge a nasty delivery charge. (That was why we got cheap and bought from the vendor, not totally pleased with the results of that, but will last for a bit)

Our dining/couch slide topper is on the way out too. We have not decided what route we will take with that.

Didn't someone suggest, like a tent repair place, to see if they had something that would work.

My best advice, is don't get something that you need to fold over the fabric on the ends (as in a seam ladies). That is a No No.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
If you are near a "sail maker" they also repair boat tops and other items in the water world. I just recently had a case made of 18 gauge vinyl for my folding boat. You may be able to take your present awing down before it shreds anymore and have one made.

Or, as Carol said, vendor/dealer.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Take the old one with you as it is much easier to make a new one with the old one as a template...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
How old is your rig? We bought ours in late August, and after less than 4 months in the Montana wind, every slide awning was pockmarked with rips and holes as well as with tears along the edges. We've contacted the dealer who said he'll replace the awnings when we take the unit in for some minor repairs before heading to Texas in June. I can sort of understand the ripping because the winds are in excess of 60 mph at times, with gusts much higher, but we can't figure out the holes and little tears scattered throughout the length and width of the awnings. No hail--no flying sticks, etc.--but the awnings look as though they'd been through a war.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I thought only the south and mostly fl had hurricanes
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #7
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I'm not a native Montanan, so all I have to go on with regard to the impressive winds we've had since last fall is what the old-timers say. Even so, there are 2 schools of thought on the subject. 1, This is the way it USED to be here--strong winds and cold temperatures. 2, This is what has happened since the town of Armstead was flooded in the early 60's to create Clark Canyon Reservoir and the dam; that engineering changed the strength and direction of the wind. All I know for sure is that the wind is causes havoc on hairdos, birdfeeders, and awnings.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote