Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2008, 03:38 AM   #1
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
Don't believe all they tell you

Having owened many RVs of various types, I have never had a gas/electric water heater. When we picked up our Montana and did the PDI and familiarization with the rig the technician told us that the switch on our waterheater exterior cabinet was to shut off the 12volt and gas during storage. With all the information I was getting and the speed at which we needed to make the transfer I thought nothing more of it.
Needless to say, I never looked again at the switch until I meet another MOCer at a campground and we were comparing notes. The conversation got to elec. WH and led to looking at mine, where the switch was off yet the 12 volt and gas were working OK so off to the book. Sure enough I have an elec/gas WH.... that will save some LP ... Sending a note to the dealer for potential retraining of at least one of their people.
And a thanks to 'Lisit' for discovering the problem....

I like how this forum helps both online and off.

Tiffensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:57 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
JD-- Just to let you know-- to be on the safe side when you winterize( which I doubt you do since you are in Florida)or if you should empty your water heater also turn off the breaker for the water heater on the panel before emptying the unit. The switch on the outside of the unit is fine but to be sure of not burning out the electric heating element if the tank should be empty and the switch is accidently turned on or left on.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:49 AM   #3
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Had same thing happen w/a friend who has SOB, this weekend. Didn't know he could save LP by using the WH switch?! Now he has hot water w/o propane use! Comparing notes and the forum are wonderful!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:09 AM   #4
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Just an aside but if you have a lot of hot water use (multiple showers, Teens, washer) by running both propane and electric element the water heats up much faster!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:14 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
One word of caution as you might already be aware of; make sure you always turn it off afterward. I think it would be easy to get in a habit of leaving it on whereby at some point it would quickly burn the element out if there wasn't any water to heat.

On edit: It will also heat water faster using both the gas and the electric water heater at the same time.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
When going through my PDI I was told you could leave the electric water heater switch (outside) on even if there was no water in the heater because there is a limit safety switch built in. I said whoa there wait a minute that is not correct, it will burn out if no water is in the tank. He was very adamant that it would be OK. I told him, OK I will leave if on give me you name an maybe your check book to replace the element when it burns out. He again confirmed that it would not damage it even if there was no water in it. As Tiffensdad said, don't believe every thing you are told. Was/is he correct in what he said?????? Interesting that the Keystone owners manual does not address that issue, but it does say to follow the instructions in manual from the specific water heater you have.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
grampachet

If ya did not get that checkbook, I'm not sure I would try his suggested methods.

I believe that the standing operating procedure is to be sure that electric is OFF when letting water out of the heater.

Al (and several of the other guys) actually put in another switch INSIDE the units, so that we can turn the electric on and off with super ease. We saved a bucket load of $$ this last winter in the RGV when we turned off both the electric and gas and only heated water WHEN we really needed it. Seeing that we were paying our electric bill, it was really worth, the extra strenous chore of flick for on and flick for off! HA HA
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grampachet

When going through my PDI I was told you could leave the electric water heater switch (outside) on even if there was no water in the heater because there is a limit safety switch built in. I said whoa there wait a minute that is not correct, it will burn out if no water is in the tank. He was very adamant that it would be OK. I told him, OK I will leave if on give me you name an maybe your check book to replace the element when it burns out. He again confirmed that it would not damage it even if there was no water in it. As Tiffensdad said, don't believe every thing you are told. Was/is he correct in what he said?????? Interesting that the Keystone owners manual does not address that issue, but it does say to follow the instructions in manual from the specific water heater you have.
One thing I didn't mention is that after we bought our Monty the dealer replaced our water heater under their warrantee. However, I believe it was the same unit as what was already in there originally.

On another note it could be true about what you were being told, I can't verify it myself however, I certainly wouldn't depend on it.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #9
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
If there is a safety cutoff it would be shown in the water heater manual. I am with the others, shut off outside on the panel and put a piece of tape over both switch's, drain and then switch system over to winter mode which by-passes the water heater. Reverse this order in the spring.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:50 PM   #10
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
TURN OFF THE ELECTRIC WHEN THERE IS NO WATER IN THE HEATER. You will burn out the element...
Use gas for quick heat and the electric for the rest of the time your at the camp ground.

It is no different than the one at home and you would never leave the power on without the water turned on. The device that turns on and off the element is external to the heater and needs the water in the heater to provide input to operate. Same with the GAS no water no heat.

I was into plumbing for many years before I got out of high school a million years ago.
My dad owned the company.

Doug

Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #11
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
JD, No problem and glad i could help after 2 years of all the experianced owners onhere getting me ready to own a Montana. Glad i got to meet a fellow MOC'er and thank you for helping me get the cable TV up and running.
Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote