Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Day 5,6,7 Mission get Monty from Capone Town

OK, so we have an excuse for the lack of updates for the past 3 days; It's called no internet access.
So, here is what ya'll missed...
We picked up the Montana as planned. I was able to modify the pin box to accept the PullRite hitch [installed capture plate while out in the storage yard]. That little event was reason for me to learn some new words [and I can't say them here!]. We found there was no electricity to power the drill motor. So [being a former boyscout] I came prepared with the battery back up drill. In the process I was able to drill and tap 9 of the 10 recommended holes before I broke the tap in the final hole and the drill battery died. After some careful inspection we decided to go with it as is [with plans to make it better at our next opportunity]. So we hooked up and were both pleased to learn the new Prodigy brake controller [that had never met Mr. Monty] was functionally great right out of the box! Anyway after all that [always takes longer than planned?], we were so anxious to get the Monty down the road and see how the D/A handled it's new friend. All I can say is two things; 1. this Chevy pulls the 2955 Montana like it is not even there!. And 2, if you have a choice STAY OUT OF THE CHICAGO TRAFFIC WHEN RV'ING!; The good news is that we opted to stay [1] evening up near the northern IL border at an RV park that was right out of heaven. It was pristine-with one little qualifier-THE WATER SYSTEM WAS SHUT DOWN FOR THE ONLY DAY IN THE PARK HISTORY [Kathy calls this kinda of thing-Murphy's law-I used plenty of underarm deorderant].
So we had our first home cooked meal in the Monty and tested the furnace. Both exceeded our expectations!
The next morning we fought the windy city toll booths and then logged 400 uneventful miles and reached our destination of [Flint MI]brother's home. At this point we gave the Monty a break as we left it parked there for a few days as we trekked to northern MI to stay with relatives]. Sunday will find us back in Flint and lodging in the Monty once again. This is such great fun.
You can expect at least a couple more long winded messages as we depart around next Wed for Nashville and then follow 40 south and west [eventually to our home in Folsom]. No hurry this time - just RV fun. Incidentally the D/A MPG was 12 at 55-60-65 MPH on the way to MI and the grade braking feature is sooooo goood!
Take care,
Jim-n-Kathy

Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
I was wondering where you all were and how you were doing. I am enjoying your travel log...look forward to the next chapter.

Enjoy your travels!

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
sailor2

M.O.C. #6388
Hey Jim,

Are you hooked up and traveling yet??? Did you get the water system all flushed out???
sailor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Glad it is hooked up and things are going well.
Good luck and looking forward to your stories.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Hey guys great to hear you've made it out of the Windy City and up North! Also glad to hear you and Monte are getting along! No way I'd even try the Windy City traffic! I'll drive way out of my way to miss that mess! Glad to hear the D/A is doing it's job also! I love mine. Now if we can just get that diesel price down some I'd be REAL happy! Take care and keep us informed! Remember if you're around Omaha give us a yell!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote