Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2006, 11:02 AM   #1
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
Engine Heaters

When we bought our diesel truck it did not have an engine heater installed on it. Would like to get comments on the best type to buy. Thanks, Les

Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Les, are you sure it doesn't have one they didn't tell you about? I know on the 2005 6.0 PSD they say it has one only if you order it separately or if you buy it in certain cold states. In reality all 6.0's for 2005 have the heater. They just don't have the cord. The cord costs somewhere around $50 bucks. I heard about this and crawled under and sure enough, there it is on ours, on the side of the block near the rear portion of the right front wheel. A bit hard to see. Maybe the 7.3 is the same?? Or not??

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Les,
My Chevy came with one and it sure has helped this past winter. I always try to stay with factory equipment if possible, have you checked with Ford down there?
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Les-
My 2001 came with one from the factory. In SE Texas there is not much need for this, never used it.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:36 PM   #5
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
Thanks for the response, we have a 1999 7.3 diesel. Not in a hurry but i will find out if ours was equipped orginally with the heater and no cord. Normally we plan on spending our time in warm climates, but as you know, you never know about cold weather....thanks again, Les
Old 01-19-2006, 01:51 AM   #6
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
My 7.3 has a heater and the plug is at the bottom of the battery on the drivers side. Looks like a regular three prong male plug. I use it primarily to prevent smoke while starting in cold mornings. Really great when your glow plugs start getting old.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:02 AM   #7
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
Got up this morning to check underneath my truck for the heater. It took a couple of minutes but sure enough right next to the oil filter (I get Walmart to change my oil because it is so cheap) was the heater and with the cord also which ran up just below the battery. Thanks again, that is one item that I won't have to buy.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:58 AM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Glad to hear you were able to find it Les, it sure helps during those colder morning starts. And the best part, you did not have to go and spend any money on it. =)
Old 01-19-2006, 12:10 PM   #9
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
Thanks Dave, I may plug it in tonight as it may down to the mid 20's and maybe just to test it out and make sure that it works. Thanks again...Les
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Glad to hear you were able to find it Les, it sure helps during those colder morning starts. And the best part, you did not have to go and spend any money on it. =)
Old 01-24-2006, 06:23 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Les,
My Chevy came with one and it sure has helped this past winter. I always try to stay with factory equipment if possible, have you checked with Ford down there?
I had the heater on my '03 and was glad to have it. The '05 however has the heater but...you get the cord only if you live in what Ford decides is a "cold" state. If you buy in Missouri you get it. If in Kansas, you don't. I was living at the time at an RV Park in Missouri but bought the truck in Kansas. So no cord. I have no idea how they figure what is a cold state. I started this thing up at minus 2 F and it did find but was a bit lumpy for a minute or so. It made me a bit nervous. I think next time I'm in Missouri I'm going to buy the cord and install it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:40 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well I am back to plugging the truck in at night again. For awhile there it has been in the mid 30's at night. We are back down in the mid 20's and while the trucks started right up, it sure runs a tad rough for a few mins.

Steve,
I do not think you or I will ever figure out how Ford, GM or Dodge decides to put what equipment on which truck for which state. The time we think we understand what they are doing dont worry, they will change the method again. =)