Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
M/Sgt Blevins

M.O.C. #19768
Onan 5.5 ...Help please

I just purchased my first Montana (3710fl) a few days ago and I got the "generator prep" option with it. All I can see is the aluminum shielding and a quick disconnect plug with 5 small gauge wires. Is this all there is to the generator prep option or maybe something else I can't see (heavy power wire, transfer switch etc).
I want to us a gasoline 5.5 Onan with my In-command system.
Am I in for a lot of fab work or is there more than meets the eye?
Thanks...

M/Sgt Blevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:18 PM   #2
buck115

M.O.C. #19805
Guess I'll be the first to reply.

Congrats on your Montana and I hope you enjoy as much as the rest of us. I just joined the MOC today, though I have read many of the blogs the last few years while making my purchase decision.

My HC 305RL is also generator prepped and I will make that purchase later this summer. Looking at the Onan 5.5 as well but in propane. Although when the check book opens I might upgrade to the 6.5, will see. Hopefully members with both will add to your question and comments.

Now, with the prep I believe it is nothing more than running the appropriate connecting wires and installing the gen set. The control switch is already installed on mine and I assume on yours as well. I will have the dealer install it so that I can't manage to cross wires, etc. or otherwise mess it up. Besides, then they will have to honor their work.

I know this is not much information, but, at least it is a start.

Buck
buck115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:00 PM   #3
Dusters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19305
The prep was the sheet metal housing, propane tubing, Electrical connections for AC 120V and battery cables. The dealer installed the genset and programmed the In-Command. The main start button is on the genset, where all fault codes are read. It does require substantial amperage to start the genset of which I have used my truck at the storage lot in order to power the leveling jacks. That's about all I know on the process.
Dusters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:26 PM   #4
M/Sgt Blevins

M.O.C. #19768
Thanks for the replies.
I am just not sure where the 110v cable is and where the transfer switch is located. (or maybe it doesn't have either and the dealer installs these).
Old 05-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #5
offroad71
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11329
If it is wired, you might check behind the bulkhead in the generator compartment. It could be coiled up till needed. You would need to drop part of the underbelly enclosure to locate it.
offroad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:51 AM   #6
M/Sgt Blevins

M.O.C. #19768
I did find in the pass-through, on the generator side, a metal electrical box with 10/3 wire running to the back (?) of the camper. Here is my generator hook-up. I wonder where the transfer switch is? and where is the other end of the 10/3 cable terminated?
Thanks
Old 05-18-2017, 03:45 PM   #7
lostshakerofsalt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10012
One thing to keep in mind is that "gen prep" does not mean "gen ready". Gen ready has the transfer switch and most required wiring already installed. Gen prep usually is just the control wiring.
lostshakerofsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:02 PM   #8
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
Quote:
Originally Posted by M/Sgt Blevins View Post
I did find in the pass-through, on the generator side, a metal electrical box with 10/3 wire running to the back (?) of the camper. Here is my generator hook-up. I wonder where the transfer switch is? and where is the other end of the 10/3 cable terminated?
Thanks

What does your selling Dealer say about this?, or contact customer service at the factory and ask them what is provided and what is not
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote