Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #1
John Neeley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19277
Norcold 18cf refig issue

This past week, while on a trip, the refrig started leaking water at the bottom of the front door, onto the floor. This refrig is the large, 4 door stainless steel residential (I think) unit. Checking both the Freezer and Refrig sections, the Freezer seems to be working fine, no problems, but the water is coming from the cooling fins dripping down into the tray and overflowing down the back of the unit (inside compartment) and then out. There is a drain tube leaving and checking the back outside compartment, see it is going into another tray. For some reason, the unit has raised temps in the refrig to 45 degs, as think it should be closer to 37-40 degs and there should be some frost on those cooling fins, but nothing but drips. I dont ever recall seeing frost on those fins in the past also, plus this refrig runs and runs all the time, never cycling. The manual that comes with it doesnt provide much help. Regarding that tube, I moved it and stuck it out the vent, so it would drip onto the ground, and that stopped the drips in the refrig onto the floor. This unit is less than a year old, and still under warranty. Just wonder if anyone has experienced this malfunction before? Will call my repair facility and check with them today. Also, doesnt seem to matter if on A.C. power or Propane.

2016 Montana 3440RL Legacy-Andersen 3200 Hitch
John Neeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:43 AM   #2
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
It sounds like you solved part of the problem. The drip tray under the fins has a drain on the left side and sometimes the tray becomes separated from the hose and needs fixed. The second item to watch is the outlet on that hose inside the outside cover is small and can get plugged causing it to back up into the fridge. Check to make sure it is clear - when you moved it that may have helped clear it.

Another item on this fridge I found out after talking to a tech at my dealer is it supposedly has a short defrost cycle every 24 or 48 hours (can't remember which) where it will warm the fridge fins to remove any frost and if that is when you are checking the fridge, it may be part of the issue.

the last thing to watch, which is a problem I have with mine is the "flap" that is on the left door that closes the gap between the two doors doesn't always close properly and create a seal with the right side fridge door. We were seeing issues where the freezer was plenty cold but the fridge was warm and it turned out that was the issue. It sticks and we have to pull it occasionally. We stock what we access frequently on the right side now to minimize having to fix it. I think the fridge is slightly out of level/doors out of alignment causing this but haven't found the resolution yet.

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:57 PM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
The norcold is not a residential fridge...but an overly large rv fridge. I have had your issue on my 12cuft norcold and found growth in the tuce which allowed backup inside the tray. The tray does in fact seat into the fridge back and can be dislodged by careless grouping for goodies in the fridge. Fridge temp will rise if excess froast builds up in the freezer sections or the door flap fails to close all the way. We always push on both doors after opening either one and most times get the "click" of the door flap seating fully. It shouldn't need to run non-stop without the fans cycling. That is a clue to leaks of air into and out of the door seals usually.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:00 PM   #4
John Neeley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjammersc View Post
It sounds like you solved part of the problem. The drip tray under the fins has a drain on the left side and sometimes the tray becomes separated from the hose and needs fixed. The second item to watch is the outlet on that hose inside the outside cover is small and can get plugged causing it to back up into the fridge. Check to make sure it is clear - when you moved it that may have helped clear it.

Another item on this fridge I found out after talking to a tech at my dealer is it supposedly has a short defrost cycle every 24 or 48 hours (can't remember which) where it will warm the fridge fins to remove any frost and if that is when you are checking the fridge, it may be part of the issue.

the last thing to watch, which is a problem I have with mine is the "flap" that is on the left door that closes the gap between the two doors doesn't always close properly and create a seal with the right side fridge door. We were seeing issues where the freezer was plenty cold but the fridge was warm and it turned out that was the issue. It sticks and we have to pull it occasionally. We stock what we access frequently on the right side now to minimize having to fix it. I think the fridge is slightly out of level/doors out of alignment causing this but haven't found the resolution yet.
Many thanks for the ideas and help from you and also jcurtis934.... the culprit was the 'FLAP'. Went to check it about noon today, and yep, it wasnt fully operated and a hand pull back did the trick. Always wondered why the Right side door jiggled, and now it doesnt.... at that check, the temp in the refrig was 45 deg... I just check now, 5 hours later and it had dropped to 39 degs....yippee!! Thanks a trip to the dealer for him to tell me nothing, I am sure, plus it is a 130 mile pull. Also noticed the cooling fins on the inside were starting to get a slight frost on them, and this is great. By the way, the temp here today is 90 degs, so that difference in temps between outside air and refrig makes us feel better. Again, thanks for the suggestions...oh, now I need to find out why the FLAP isnt operating as it should...it seems to be the bottom part that isnt closing, letting air in..
2016 Montana 3440RL Legacy-Andersen 3200 Hitch
John Neeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #5
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
Glad it helped. And maybe one of us can get the flap to work

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
One thing I did find on mine that I forgot to mention...my left door was not the same height as the right one when viewed at the top or bottom. I took the door off and used a nylon washer on the bottom bracket pin, which raised my left door into level with the right one.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:45 PM   #7
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
One thing I did find on mine that I forgot to mention...my left door was not the same height as the right one when viewed at the top or bottom. I took the door off and used a nylon washer on the bottom bracket pin, which raised my left door into level with the right one.
That is exactly what the tech found with my Norcold 18cf. He installed a washer or two under the door hinges to raise the door and prevent the flap from dragging on the bottoms of the fridge. I still am not happy with the temperature in the fridge, freezer is always -20 deg and the fridge varies depending on outside air temp. I am waiting for hot weather here in Florida to see but last year camping in the heat it was varying between 40 and 45 in the fridge, in cool weather it runs between 34 and 40.

Also, for measuring the fridge temperature I take a small water bottle with a hole in the lid and insert my analog thermometer. This is more accurate than reading air temp when the door is opened and closed.
Butch & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote