Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
A/C breaker clarification / replacement

Greetings,
I have a 2018 3730 FL with two A/C units - the front is a low profile Dometic, the rear is a regular profile Dometic. There are two breakers side-by-side labelled A/C in the breaker box. The front breaker of the two is tripped and the front A/C wont come on. The other breaker of the two is on and the rear A/C works good. Probably a bad breaker? Is replacement of those a DIY? Any ideas?I have reset GFI's (only one located) and booted down the whole unit from the surge protector but to no avail.
Thanks,
Max

MaxwellD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If it were me, I'd take the cover off the AC and see if something wasn't an issue up there. There could be a birds nest, wasp nest of something else obstructing the fan and causing the motor to trip the breaker. If the issue isn't the AC then I'd look at replacing the breaker.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
If it were me, I'd take the cover off the AC and see if something wasn't an issue up there. There could be a birds nest, wasp nest of something else obstructing the fan and causing the motor to trip the breaker. If the issue isn't the AC then I'd look at replacing the breaker.
OK Going back up there - wasp spray in free hand. Thanks
Max

Looks good up there - fan free wheels - very clean. So what does a fighting Texas Aggie need to know about replacing a breaker? (Opening myself up for this one ...)
Old 06-15-2019, 01:05 PM   #4
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Looks good up there - fan free wheels - very clean. So what does a fighting Texas Aggie need to know about replacing a breaker? (Opening myself up for this one ...)
Old 06-15-2019, 01:20 PM   #5
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Have you tried to just reset the breaker? Never really paid attention, as I never had to replace one, but I suspect that they are just like a residential breaker and just snap in and out. You could disconnect from shore power while you change it if that would make you feel safer.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #6
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
Have you tried to just reset the breaker? Never really paid attention, as I never had to replace one, but I suspect that they are just like a residential breaker and just snap in and out. You could disconnect from shore power while you change it if that would make you feel safer.
Yes several times. That breaker is just not happy being in the on position and it shuts the main breaker down when you reset it. I will certainly disconnect shore power. Thanks
Old 06-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #7
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Just call a Longhorn.

Too easy

Turn up the set temp on the thermostat so the Compressor will not come one.

Then turn fan on AC to Low then High.

Does it come on without the compressor?

Does Breaker reseat to on with no load?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #8
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
If your main trips along with the main. I would say you have a short somewhere
Old 06-15-2019, 01:36 PM   #9
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Just call a Longhorn.

Too easy

Turn up the set temp on the thermostat so the Compressor will not come one.

Then turn fan on AC to Low then High.

Does it come on without the compressor?

Does Breaker reseat to on with no load?
I knew that was coming - hahaha. No, fan wont come on at all and temp setting makes no diff. It is like it is dead in the water
Old 06-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #10
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Quote:
If your main trips along with the main. I would say you have a short somewhere

OK replaced the breaker with a new one - same model number etc. Still trips half the breaker, now only the other side. Bedroom AC still running well. Looks like a trip to the repair shop. We were planning to leave for 6 weeks to Montana on Wednesday. I had a feeling this wouldn't be an easy fix.
Thanks for the help anyway.
Max
Old 06-15-2019, 04:51 PM   #11
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
This almost sounds like there is an issue in the panel. You accidentally proved both A/C’s work, so wiring to both is also good. If whatever is wrong and tripping the main, I would pull all the breakers out and look at the connectors where they plug into the panel buss. You might also look close at the breaker you replaced for any signs of burning.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:58 PM   #12
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
This almost sounds like there is an issue in the panel. You accidentally proved both A/C’s work, so wiring to both is also good. If whatever is wrong and tripping the main, I would pull all the breakers out and look at the connectors where they plug into the panel buss. You might also look close at the breaker you replaced for any signs of burning.
Well not quite - i never have gotten the front unit to come on. Don't know why the other half of the new breaker is tripping, along with the main, but the bedroom unit is the only one still working. No signs of char or burning at all on the old one. Before I get in over my head, I will probably take to my repair shop on Monday. I appreciate your advice.
Thanks
Max
Old 06-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #13
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
AC issue resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
You nailed it! My last thread was about replacing a Thedford toilet which I recently did - replaced it with a Dometic with spray hose. When it came to mounting the spray hose holder I pondered the location on the bathroom wall behind the breaker box, but then decided there was probably enough room for the screws - they are about 7/8 inch long. Well I got to thinking about that and the screws were at about the same level and close to being directly behind, that AC breaker. I removed the screws and VOILA! The breaker works fine and the AC is on line! Now I worry that I damaged something with those screws. Is it possible that they just butted up against a metal part of the buss and grounded the one breaker out? Everything else is working fine. What are your thoughts? I also checked out the continuity of the old breaker and it shows to be working ok, so now I have a spare. Thanks for our help!
Old 06-15-2019, 06:26 PM   #14
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
You know how many Aggie jokes there are in this one?

Great you have it working!

I would definitely look closer at what that screw might have hit.
I would hate for it to affect your trip
Old 06-15-2019, 06:50 PM   #15
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Quote:
You know how many Aggie jokes there are in this one?

Great you have it working!

I would definitely look closer at what that screw might have hit.
I would hate for it to affect your trip
OMGosh! Yeah, you can have a lot of fun with this thread! I appreciate your help ! Prolly have to pull the whole guts out of the breaker box to see what happened - I may just put the pedal to the metal and go for it. If I didn't get electrocuted putting the dang sprayer holder on (DW had to have it !) then I think I am just that lucky! Montana here we come!
Max
Old 06-16-2019, 05:59 AM   #16
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I'm not an electrician but I have to question the breakers being side by side as you stated. Doesn't that put both ac units on the lame leg? On our 2018.5 one ac breaker in on one side and the other ac unit on the other side and never had a problem. Both our units are low profile and one has the HP feature.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:20 AM   #17
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
I dont understand that either because what they are is a double 20 A breaker (not separate and next to each other). Why did one half trip along with the main and allow the back AC to continue to work? How would an errant screw cause that to happen? I am sure someone will know.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:47 AM   #18
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Well Max I bet you are the first to install a sprayer in the bathroom and take out an AC
Old 06-16-2019, 06:57 AM   #19
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Quote:
Well Max I bet you are the first to install a sprayer in the bathroom and take out an AC
My 15 minutes of fame (it could be worse). hahaha
Old 06-16-2019, 08:38 AM   #20
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellD View Post
I dont understand that either because what they are is a double 20 A breaker (not separate and next to each other). Why did one half trip along with the main and allow the back AC to continue to work? How would an errant screw cause that to happen? I am sure someone will know.
Are you saying it also tripped your main 50 amp breaker? And the back A/C continued to run even with the main 50 amp breaker tripped?

Montana has put two different types of breaker panels in these units. One type has the main 50 amp breaker in the middle of the panel with the sub breakers on either side, one side being hot 1 the other side being hot 2. Mine has the main 50 amp breaker at the left side with all the sub breakers to the right of that. And the breaker slots alternate between hot 1 and hot 2. In my case, a two pole breaker would have hot 1 on one pole and hot 2 on the other pole.

There is nothing inherently wrong with both A/Cs being on the same hot leg as long as most of the other higher current load devices are on the other hot leg to balance the loading.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote