Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
TV Input source Keeps Changing

I've got a small nuisance type problem that has just appeared.

Keep in mind we are boon docking and I'm living off my solar panels and inverter.

Every time I do a "cold start" on the TV - that is turn the inverter on and power up the AC in the camper this problem appears.

After waiting a few minutes to acquire satellites, etc I'll turn on the Sat Tuner and the TV (sat is and has always been on source HDMI 4)

The TV is fine for about 15 seconds or so and then changes to HDMI 1. and the screen goes blank - says something like "weak or no signal".

I go to TV Source Menu - change it back to HDMI 4 - I get the "disconnecting anynet device" message the Satellite feed comes back on the TV and all is good.

I can turn the TV on and off. Turn the Sat receiver on and off and no problems.

As soon as I turn off the inverter (in other words remove AC power from the coach) and restart the system I go thru the same deal.

Not a big problem - just an annoyance but I don't know why its doing it.

I plan on throwing out that POS Samsung DVD system the rig came with and put in a real entertainment receiver but till then..... any ideas?

For what its worth... this just started happening a week or two ago.

Prior to that everytime I started the TV it would work for 15 seconds and then the sound would go out - the picture would remain. I'd turn the TV off and back on and the sound would return and remain.

That prior sound problem started about a month ago (after we were in Quartzsite for sure).

Prior to that the whole system worked just fine with no quirks.

Any thoughts out there?

Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Greg,
I had problems with the receiver defaulting to the incorrect input. I solved it by deactivating the anynet on the Samsung TV. Mine was going to a different input but the problem was the same. BTW, I upgraded the entertainment unit with Samsung for 2 reasons, one was the multiple HDMI inputs, the other was to keep the same speaker wire plugs. Speakers are somewhat better. System has been fine since finding the source of the input change problem.

Hope that helps.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If it's like ours it's defaulting to the on air tuner and DVD player thru the receiver. We have the same problem every time we play a DVD.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
hummm. How come we do not have any such problem???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Ken,

How did you deactivate the any-net device? Unplug it or is there some techie way?

Rich - I didn't have this problem for months of constant traveling. All last spring and Summer and a month or so this winter it was fine. It just cropped up recently. I'm stumped.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Greg,

Mine does that if I turn the Receiver on before the TV.

I need to turn TV first, and then the DVD Receiver.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Greg,

I recall a setting on the TV, check your setup that allows you to turn the anynet on or off. Use the remote to get to the main menu. If you can't find it PM me. I have the circut apart at the moment installing a DPDT switch so when boondocking I can keep just the entertainment unit powered by the inverter. Should be back together this weekend.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Greg,
Try turning that circuit off at the breaker and then power up the inverter. Once energized turn the circuit break back on. It may be a power chirp when the inverter is first energized.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brenkco

Greg,

I recall a setting on the TV, check your setup that allows you to turn the anynet on or off. Use the remote to get to the main menu. If you can't find it PM me. I have the circut apart at the moment installing a DPDT switch so when boondocking I can keep just the entertainment unit powered by the inverter. Should be back together this weekend.

Ken
Found it Ken... thanks. I turned it off and will see how it works. I wonder if it was off and somehow got turned on.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Ken - that did it. Thanks for the tip.

Turned it back on and guess what? It started to change inputs again... Go figure.

Have it turned off for now.

John I tried your suggestion and it made no difference. Thanks anyway
Old 03-15-2013, 03:52 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I can't help on the glitch, but I can offer a suggestion for the 'reboot' and power up of the sat system.
Once you get everything locked in, then switch from Inverter to Gen, or Park power you have to do the reboot.
I bought and installed a UPS and hooked the TV and Direct Tv receiver to it.. plugged them into it.
Now, there is no more reboot. The UPS holds settings while I switch power supplies.
Slide-show:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/UninterruptedPowerSupply?authuser=0&feat=directlin k
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote