Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2005, 08:24 AM   #1
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Sound System Upgrade

I thought I would post a picture of my most recent upgrade. I, like many others had been dissapointed with the Quest-2000 sound system in my 2005 3255RL. I had read a previous post about upgrading to a Sony unit. I decided on a Sony Dream System DAV-FR1. It is a expensive ($350 on Ebay) unit, but well worth the money for me, as I spend a lot of time watching TV! This is a 5 disc unit that can play both DVD's as well as CD, MP3's and SACD's. It has Dolby Pro-logic II which takes a two channel source, and converts it to five channel surround. I can finally take advantage of those rear speakers. It also has an optical audio input which I hook into my sat receiver. The sound is awesome. It also appears to save all settings even with power removed. As you can see in the picture, the Sony fits nicely in the existing slot that the Quest previously occupied. The only downside is that the Sony does not have a A/B switch so I have left the bedroom speakers unconnected for the time being.

mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:02 AM   #2
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
I have a new Sony unit as well, not the same model, but it is 5 disc system, for 299 at Circut City. I cant wait to try out. I am not worried about the A/B switch, for some reason, next to the speakers in the bedroom, there is an on/off switch, so I can use that or the A/B switch. Once I install the Sony, I will just have to use the switch in the bedroom.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 11:21 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mike, I think it's the at sign causing the problem. I took the liberty of copying the url, pasting it into a browser, saving your picture to my system, then uploading it to www.tinypic.com and posting the picture here. Hope you don't mind.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:17 PM   #4
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Thanks Steve. I appreiciate it. I think you're right. The @ sign is the problem. The forum thinks it is an email address!
Old 01-05-2005, 03:40 PM   #5
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Hey Guys, a question? Did you have to replace all the speakers or did you just buy the receiver? I too do not like my Qwest2000 and am thinking of my own upgrade. Thanks in advance.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:14 PM   #6
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
I am replacing all the speakers. The Sony unit I bought was a package deal, came with new speakers and everything. I plan on using the same wiring, as I have not installed the unit yet ( Mine is hibernating).

If you get a new system, and they come with speakers, I would use them, I am sure they will be better. If you decide to use the existing seakers, just make sure they can handel the power and the impedence rating is right for your new system, otherwise you will have problems.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:48 AM   #7
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by paulrem

Hey Guys, a question? Did you have to replace all the speakers or did you just buy the receiver? I too do not like my Qwest2000 and am thinking of my own upgrade. Thanks in advance.
I used the same speakers with no problem. They sound OK, and seem to handle the power. In my 3255RL, the front speakers are the little 3x3 cubes, that are inset into the cabinet. It did not look very easy to replace them with the Sony speakers that came with the unit. I did replace the subwoofer with the Sony, because it has different wiring for it. It had two pairs of wires running to it from the Sony, as opposed to one pair for the Quest.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:56 AM   #8
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I replaced all the speakers, the ones that came with the quest are 29cents a piece and it would have been a shame to use them with the new system. The cabinet came apart very easy to enlarge the holes for the new speakers. The improved sound was very worth the time and effort it took for me.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 05:12 AM   #9
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
I agree, I tried to reply last night. The quest speakers are easily reomved, just one screw. You might be able to use the quest speaker mounts for the rear, if not, I am sure the brand you purchase will have them available, and that too, will be easy to replace.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:40 AM   #10
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
OK. You have my interest concerning replacing the speakers. Did you find speakers that fit the existing holes? If not, what did you use to cover up the holes? The Sony speakers that came with my unit are rectangular, and bigger than the existing speakers. I was thinking about pulling out the three existing speakers, and covering the holes with a thin piece of Oak. Any ideas? Here is a picture of what I have to work with!

Old 01-07-2005, 10:14 AM   #11
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
Your set up looks just like min. In order to get in there, you will need to remove the TV from the rack, and tak it right out. If you look where the speakers are on the inside of the entertainment center, they are resting on a small piece of wood, and fastened to it with one screw. Take the screw out and the speaker comes out. I have taken them out before, very easy. Now, since I have not actually installed my new system yet, as my 3650RK is away for the winter, I can just give you some ideas. The Sony system I purchased looks like the speaker will fit right in, if they dont, I plan on using a, sawzall to make the existing wholes a little bigger. Also, the wook in between the speakers, I think that comes out too, just held in with screws, you can check that out when you remove the TV. As far as the finish, I believe that the wood is just particle board, with the contact paper finish over it, which you can get from the Montana dealar, but to be honest with you, from the looks of it, if you cut carfully, you should be OK. The size of the rear speakers should not be an issues, as they are hanging from the ceiling, at leat mine are, and that might just be replacing the mount. The wires should be fine with your new system.
I know these are just suggestions, but I hope it helps out
Old 01-07-2005, 10:19 AM   #12
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
After reading your post again, I can picture exactly what speakers you have. Just got another idea for you, but it will require running a little wire, and that is to suspend the front speakers from the ceiling, like the rear. Leave the center channel over the TV thouhg. Also, Sony and JBL do make speakers that should be pretty close to those sizes, and will require little modification, if you want to buy new ones. I have JBL for my home that are close to that size, and , as I said in my other post, the Sony system I purchased have cube speakers. Also, I think William Collier has the same system as I do, as I got the model number from him. He might have some more ideas. If it was not him, somone else on the fourm then, check under the Improvements section, and you can contact him for more info. I have the Sony DAVB150, if that helps with the search.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:03 AM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We had a little buzz in one of the rear speakers and our dealer found it to be the Quest unit. We have a new one in the basement waiting to be put in after April 1. We will probably replace it if the new one doesn't work, but I think Montana will need to have a part of that. With all of the posts here on the poor performance of the unit, I'll be surprised if Montana doesn't have a different unit next year.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:07 AM   #14
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
Just got back from a show, saw the new 2005 Montana's, and they do have a differnt unti then mine came with originally, it is the same as the replacement unit I was given, and still have the same problems with. I talked with the dealer briefly, and told them I bought a Sony, and I am going to try and work something out with them to get something else, some other accessories perhaps.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:48 PM   #15
Montana_2008
Established Member

M.O.C. #2008
I did it--- now have a new sony in place of Quest. Replaced all speakes, made holes bigger. Great sound, love it any questions let me know Jerry 3400RL 2005 with Ford 250 with air ride,and airaid. 6/0 desiel. with 4 inch pipe all kinds of power, 2004
Montana_2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:33 AM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Okay I have to ask. How did you get the TV out? We want to replace our Quest and will probably go with Sony since we are Sony people. Would really rather have Bose but can't afford it.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:22 PM   #17
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
I have not installed my new Sony unit yet, but I did take the TV out before trying to fix the quest system. If it is the same setup as ours, our TV is on a tray that slides out, there are some bolts on the bottom of the TV, just unscrew them and take it off. You will need 2 people, as one needs to hold the TV while the other one lossens the bolts.

Good Luck

mtman1313--What did you use to make the holes larger, and can you send me some pictures? I have the Sony system, and am planning to install it in March when I take my unit out of storage.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2005, 05:10 PM   #18
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
The 3400 has a different setup. I can see a long screw at the top but no way to get to it. It does not move at all. Anyone with a 3400 take the TV out?
Old 01-25-2005, 03:19 PM   #19
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
The center speaker can be pulled out, it is not attached just pushed in, you can then see the head of the screw. There are also 2 screws in the bottom and the fireplace must be removed to get at them.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:32 PM   #20
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
My center speaker is solid. I'lll use the old speakers if I have to take the fireplace out also. Way to much.