Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Leaking Slide Pump

When I checked my battery last weekend I noticed that there was a layer of oil in the tray beneath the hydraulic pump that operates the slides. I thought I remembered seeing a post about that recently but could not find it by searching the archives. Anyone had a similar problem? How much oil can you lose and have the slides still function? What kind of oil does the slide pump use? (2007 3400RL). Thanks.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Call Lippert and tell them your problem. They will most likely send you a new pump. They did for me. I got the phone # off the internet. A very simple change out. They are great people. It is automatic trans oil.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
If I'm not mistaken, your pump is still covered by Lippert. Give them a call or have your selling dealer take care of it. Leaks between the reservoir and pump seem to be common. As for the fluid ... go to Wally World and get the cheapest tranny fluid they carry ... it will work fine for you no matter what color is currently in your reservoir. When the level drops much below half full (measured with the slides in) you run a risk of aerating the system when you use all available fluid ... you'll then have to refill and bleed the air out. This entails cycling the slides in and out several times to remove the trapped air in the fluid.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drjjj

When I checked my battery last weekend I noticed that there was a layer of oil in the tray beneath the hydraulic pump that operates the slides. I thought I remembered seeing a post about that recently but could not find it by searching the archives. Anyone had a similar problem? How much oil can you lose and have the slides still function? What kind of oil does the slide pump use? (2007 3400RL). Thanks.
That was me, Johnny. My pump leaked what seemed to be a large amount of oil from somewhere in the back of the valve selector block. My fluid level was close to where it should be, though.

I have oil in my tray, too - and some drops fell on the batt cover. I watched as Cheryl ran the slides out this last weekend and I saw absolutely no leak. Nor did the slides give any sign of not running in or out as they should have.

The only thing I can figure is that I was having some problems with my kitchen slide. I spent several days about a month ago running only my kitchen slide in and out to try to re-adjust it. All the other selector valves were closed. Maybe the additional pressure on that one valve caused the leak that doesn't occur when all 4 valves (3400RL) are open.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:32 PM   #5
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
If I remember correctly, there was some discussion during the past year about a crack developing in the supply tank. A suggestion was made to provide a support at the end of the tank to relieve stress due to vibrations.

This is probably not your source of the leak, but I thought it was worth mentioning. I slipped a piece of Styrofoam under the end of our tank - just in case...
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160

I agree with Russ on the support on the end of the tank.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:40 PM   #7
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Mine does the same thing and with information from other MOC'ers I was able to determine that it is the seal between the reservior and the pump. I keep a paper towel under the pump and another in the tray and my battery boxes are staying fairly clean. In 6 mo mine leaked less than a pint. The thing with oil is that a little bit goes a long way.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:17 AM   #8
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
I put two magic marker lines on my plastic tank, one with the slides out and on with them in. That way I can tell if I'm losing oil, but don't see a leak.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:46 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I'm thinking that a small amount of hydraulic oil laying in that tray will seem like a lot larger volume than it actually is... Mine looks like a mess, but I don't see any drop from my "line" on my tank?
Old 09-14-2007, 11:09 AM   #10
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I've complained about the pump leaking every time the unit has been in the shop. It has yet to be fixed. I intend to clean the screws that run through the tray good with solvent, and seal them with good RTV. Maybe a towel or adsorbent in the tray then. Hydraulic systems are bad to leak, and frankly, I don't want to change the pump out.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #11
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I have had that problem, too, on my 2006 2955RL. I first noticed it when I installed the batteries at the start of this summer camping season. I cleaned it up and checked the pump and reservoir with a mirror and couldn't find any leak, anywhere. it still seeps from somewhere, though, I just can't find it. Thanks for the heads up on calling Lippert.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:30 AM   #12
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I had a thought after I signed off yesterday. Since the fluid is ATF, I wonder if any of the additives for automotive transmissions designed to stop leaks would work?
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:47 AM   #13
littlespud
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1696
I have a 2005 3400RL, I lost my pump a year ago. There was a color, yellow, green something like that, I had the bad color, the dealer replaced it with the different color, it's been ok since.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:29 PM   #14
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
During our PDI we were told by the Tech to use Hyd. fluid and not ATF???
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:46 PM   #15
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
My SOB (Forest River, Wildcat) 5er has the same problem with the Lippert pump. I called Lippert left a message and they did call back the same day. I asked the Rep. about the problem and he told me a couple of things. The seal between the plastic tank and the pump has a failure problem. It is not replaceable and the original owner can have the original pump replaced at no cost. He then told me that I could have it replaced free of charge at a dealer with a 90 day install warranty or do it myself no warranty. They will also send you a prepaid UPS label and ask for you to send the original pump back. Not sure if they rebuild them with the new seal design but they want them returned. Sounded like a manufacturer defect that was being handled quietly to me though. I also asked about the outright cost of the new pump and was told around 1100.00 bucks. So if you have one of these Lippert pumps with some leakage I suggest that you call right away as you maybe covered. The last thing I asked him was what type of fluid to use and was told Dextron 3 Automatic trans. fluid (the red stuff). If you do call to get one time free replacement you will need the to be the original owner, VIN no., and date of manufacture Hope this helps........

Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:48 AM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Yes that does help, Tom. Phone number for Lippert?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #17
mtnhntr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6254
My pump leaked at the tank/pump joint and since I am the second owner and not under warranty, I replaced the O-ring with a slightly larger one in cross section. That stopped the leak. The Rep. that mentioned that it is not replaceable is wrong. In fact, the Rep. at the time who is on this forum suggested that fix. ( I believe MMIF is his forum name.)
Ken
mtnhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #18
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Here is the link and phone number off the websight.

http://www.lci1.com

Phone Number 866-524-7821

mtnhntr: I was questioning that myself but then if they did have a defective run of pumps then the original owner can get it replaced the 1st time. If I would have had to purchase this unit then I would have taken the time to take it a part and fix it myself. Thanks for the information on the repair will let the new owner know about this option in case he has more problems with it down the road.

Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:42 AM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Tom. I called Lippert yesterday - left a message. Did not receive a call back yet. Richfaa also called them yesterday a few hours before me. He did get a return call back and they told him they would be out this morning to replace it. They will be working about 20 feet from my 3400. That's an easy contact for me.

Jason Lippert is scheduled to be here at the fairgrounds to give a talk for Lippert today. Either way, I shouldn't have too much of a problem with getting ahold of someone.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:43 AM   #20
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We had an oil leak show up as we were packing to leave the delaer this week. The dealer personnel had been shutting off some slides while working on the super slide. Turns out one of the valves packing nuts had come loose in the process. Tightened up the nut and the leak has stopped.

If Lippert has a known problem with the "O" ring seal between the pump and the tank they should be doing a recall on all affected units. Waiting for customers to find the problem is not an ethical business practice. I don't understand the ethics or lack thereof of Lippet/Montana/Keystone at all. ATF Transmission oil is very aggressive.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote