Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2006, 01:15 PM   #1
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Military Campgrounds near Washington D.C.

We are going to take our Grandson to Washington D.C. in July 2007, I am looking to find a campground on the metro or near a metro park and ride, the Tow Beast would be hard to maneuver in and around the city. Has anyone had any experience camping in that area? I don't know too much about D.C., went to the Wall once. Any advice would be appreciated.........Pete

Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 02:53 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
There are military FamCamps at Quantico, Va which is rustic; Ft Meade, MD which is very nice; Andrews AFB - I have not been there and US Naval Station, Annapolis, MD - very small and primitive.
None are close to the metro but I have driven to a metro station, parked there and road into DC with great ease. Quantico has a train station from the town into Penn Station, DC. Odenton near to Ft Meade has a train station into Penn Station where you can get the metro. Of the famcamps I have been in FT Meade is the best. Full hook-up on all 50 sites (30 or 50 amp svc) pull through or back in. FT Meade phone number is 301-677-6196. If you stay at FT Meade I recommend driving into the New Carrollton Metro station parking the TOW BEAST and ride the metro into DC.
Here is the DC Metro web page http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm
Since your here in July I strongly recommend seeing the USMC Silent Drill Team and Drum and Bugle Corps at Arlington Cemetery at 6PM on the grass and the performance at 8PM Friday night at 8th and I St. Marine Barracks. Reservations are recommended for the Friday show. If you are interested PM me and I will chase it down.
Cheers and Merry Christmas.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We stayed at Cherry Hill RV Park north of DC. Although it's commercial (not military FamCamp), it is a park that makes for easy access into DC. A bus comes right to the park where you can get a ride to the subway station. The subway takes you anywhere you want to go in DC. We found it very handy and will use it again. My first wife is buried in Arlington National Cemetery (I'll be buried there also, as will my present wife). From her grave you can see the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
While there we were able to get on the subway and go to a lot of the Smithsonian Museum. Don't try to take it all in in one day. I was stationed in an office out of the Pentagon for four years and didn't see but a smidgeon of what's there. We're going back again. It's interesting, Marge insists that we go to Arlington every time we are there and we go to my first wife's grave. How many women would do that?

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 05:29 AM   #4
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
If you have the Trailer Life directory, there is a section in the back that lists military camp grounds. Also, here is the site for the Military RV Forum: http://military.rvforums.com/cfforum...cs.cfm?Forum=1
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:18 AM   #5
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
In addition to the ones mentioned. The Navy has a R&R center at Solomons, MD. It may be listed in the new familycamp web page. It has quite a few campsites and rental cabins. Solomons is about 70 miles southeast of Washington DC in a resort setting off the chessapeak bay. It is at the end of MD. route 4. Just within the beltway is a metro station to get down town. There are great resturants in the area, fishing dock, and a marina with rental boats.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:31 AM   #6
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Thanks to all for the information, I want to start planning early so we can get the most out of our week in D.C...........Pete
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote