Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2018, 06:39 AM   #1
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Water hose dilemma

One more time, and starting to get old. The current water hose coupling, forgot which brand Camco or Apex, but the brass colored aluminum fitting has failed.

I looked at what The Water Filter Store has to offer but for a 25 and a 50 footer, way more dollars then I feel appropriate (~$160 + shipping) for a couple RV hoses.

I also looked at the Apex Zero-G collapsible hose but AMAZON tells me that there are 33% (1 and 2 stars) of their sales aren't liked. The Flexzilla seems to be great at 14% (1/2 stars) but many have had a black mold problem but otherwise a good hose.

Have I missed any? Are there brands that are fairly flexible with fittings that survive or do I just throw a dart at the wall and hope another Camco, Apex or even Valterra will survive a few years?

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:30 AM   #2
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
I have used pocket hoses since i got mine 2 years ago. I got them because they dont take up much space I like the 25' but cant seem to find them in the store anymore so have a 50'. I did however have one spring a leak once but for the most part they have been durable for me. I leave them on when i am camping but probably not a good idea when we are not at the camper. Any hose can leak so I will shut the water off when we go sightseeing from now on. We travel with ours so not much camping. So much to see in this great country. Maybe after this last trip we will camp more NOT lol
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #3
MP1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13966
Hello Dave W.

We have been on the road for 4 years. The first two years I spent struggling with garden type hoses that were certified for drinking water. What a mess. During the last two years, I discovered Zero G hoses that you can purchase at Lowes (where I purchased mine)...or, I think that Home Depot has them as well. Inasmuch as I have had mine for some time, I don't remember the pricing, but I think that they are in the $30 range. I have been completely satisfied...and mine have been in constant use. My other recommendation is...purchase the ...most expensive... hose Quick Connects in the garden department that you can find (which work better and last longer). They will be just a tiny bit more than the cheap ones. Buy several of them and use them everywhere...for example, for both all your hoses and water filters. Life will become much more livable for you. PS: the Zero G perform wonderfully in both hot and cold climates!

Best regards,

Miles
MP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Both home depot, lowes, and tractor supply sell drinking water safe hoses that have milled aluminum fittings that are way above the common hose couplings. I have gotten four years out of my first lowes hose and am now into year one of my new one. I used to buy the cheap camping world hoses, but never got more than a year of full time use out of them.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #5
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Check the Camco blue premium hose on Amazon. I have a 25' one and a 10' one that are 4 years old and just as good as ever. I think the ends are stainless and the hose is 5/8" instead of 1/2". More reasonable price too.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We've bought the white hoses that my dealer has had and also those at CW BUT I purchased them in 4' and 10' lengths and they are extremely easy to store in a plastic box I have all our water "stuff" in. One never knows how much hose you will need when checking into a campground and with the 4' and 10' length I can add onto the end of the hose whenever I want. These lengths also are really easy to roll up and don't take up much space. Been doing this for over 6 years now and happy with the setup.
Oh, since I have a whole house water filter and water softener set up in the basement I have drilled a hole through the side of the convenient center and connected one of the 4' hoses onto the water filter and run it out through the bottom of the convenient center for easy hook up when we set up. I use a male plug on the end of the 4' section and just pull it back out of the bottom hole and bend it around the corner and it stays connected to the filter all the time too.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:10 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We spent the money for the hoses from the Water Filter Store and after 8 years of full timing we haven't had a single problem. Expensive, but worth it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #8
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
We've bought the white hoses that my dealer has had and also those at CW BUT I purchased them in 4' and 10' lengths and they are extremely easy to store in a plastic box I have all our water "stuff" in. One never knows how much hose you will need when checking into a campground and with the 4' and 10' length I can add onto the end of the hose whenever I want. These lengths also are really easy to roll up and don't take up much space. Been doing this for over 6 years now and happy with the setup.
Oh, since I have a whole house water filter and water softener set up in the basement I have drilled a hole through the side of the convenient center and connected one of the 4' hoses onto the water filter and run it out through the bottom of the convenient center for easy hook up when we set up. I use a male plug on the end of the 4' section and just pull it back out of the bottom hole and bend it around the corner and it stays connected to the filter all the time too.
I just put a new whole house dual canister filter system together and hook it up to the water inlet via a 4' section and some AM Leonard quick disconnects. I do have it outside on a 'bracke't just in case of a leak. I considered a basement mount though. As far as the main hoses from pylon to filter .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
We spent the money for the hoses from the Water Filter Store and after 8 years of full timing we haven't had a single problem. Expensive, but worth it.
If we were full timing, I would spend the bucks but for 75-90 nights a year, just can't justify that ~$160 cost. I never had a problem in over 40 years until the past 3-4 but it seems like quality has gone the way of the dodo bird,
Old 05-09-2018, 05:00 PM   #9
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
Check the Camco blue premium hose on Amazon. I have a 25' one and a 10' one that are 4 years old and just as good as ever. I think the ends are stainless and the hose is 5/8" instead of 1/2". More reasonable price too.
I have (2) of the Camco Blue, they are great in warm weather, but if it gets below 50, they are absolutely useless, no possible way to coil, end up throwing them in the basement as is. In the market for something better now.

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #10
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
Hello! Did you check these? I have 2 from The Water Filter Store too and they are good hoses but I chose to use the blue ones because they are also VERY good and being 5/8" have better flow. They don't cost much more than the crappy white ones.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:12 PM   #11
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Have you considered just cutting the end off you existing hose and installing a replacement? A lot cheaper than buying a new hose if the hose itself is still serviceable.
Theunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:44 AM   #12
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
Have you considered just cutting the end off you existing hose and installing a replacement? A lot cheaper than buying a new hose if the hose itself is still serviceable.

Yep. Using a pair of $12 solid brass fittings and even using a wrench on the clamp, cutting it back a couple times, still can't totally stop a dribble. That tnds to make me believe there are cracks in the inner lining. I'kk try it once more, but really don't expect success.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #13
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
A Crack inside the fitting is what lead to my constant dribble on the last cw hose...and it's trip to the water hose graveyard. Sometimes it is the simple things that try your patience the most.