Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2009, 04:08 AM   #1
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Frozen something and no water-help

Hi folks,
please note I have place this same message as a response to my previous message [answered all the helpful tips].
It was 5 degees last eve. We stayed warm and cozy with the thermostat on 68 and the Pelonis ceramnic on full bore.
Apparently the water did not fair as well. We did not fill the tanks, but we did use park water last evening [and we did disconnect and drain the park hose before hitting the bed]. This morn I verified the park supply and my hose was clear not frozen and then connected to the trailer and you guessed it. No water. After 10 minutes the hot hair dryer on the RV fill spigot [thought that might be the blockage, we still did not and still do not have water. I am going to grab the towel and head for the park showers [ugh!]. Anyone have this dilemma before [solution?]. I just hope I have no broken plumbing, but common sense tells me that there is a better chance that I do.

Thanks,
Jim [wishing I had bypassed Ellco, NV last eve....

Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:42 AM   #2
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Not sure if you've got it yet, but when you're in the cold like that fill your fresh water tank and use that instead.
The belly will keep things thawed as long as you run your furnace enough.

That doesn't sound like fun...

The cold experts should be along to help. One from Alaska lives in theirs and I'm sure has been there.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:02 AM   #3
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Ozzie is right--fill that fresh water tank and use it in the cold weather. It's nearly impossible to disconnect/reconnect to a water source during those temps and be able to get water going again. We lived in our Montana through a Horse Prairie, Montana, winter with regular temperatures of -40 to -50. Although we had a well on our property, the 50-amp connection was so far from that well that we couldn't stay connected to water even if we'd wanted to do so. Instead, we used our fresh water tank. I think we froze up maybe 3 times, max, during that time, and never froze up for more than an hour or so. We ran the furnace to keep the basement warm and used a ceramic heater inside to keep our feet warm. Also, because we were going to be living for a full year in our rig, we put up a jerry-rigged skirt around the trailer and ran a small heater in that area when the temperatures dropped lower than -10. I know you're on the move, so skirting isn't an option. However, if you're in that temporary below-freezing situation again, just use your fresh water tank and keep your furnace running. I bet you won't have any problems.

For some real cold weather tips, I know Icehouse would be your go-to guy. He and his wife lived in Alaska in their rig during an Alaskan winter and had to deal with all kinds of severe weather problems.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:04 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Check the low point drains under the convenience center. If they are frozen (I suspect they are) that is where you should apply the hair dryer. Those drains provide a conduit for water turning to ice to migrate into the plumbing system. The other alternatvie would be to use your hose to fill the fresh water tank as needed as Ozzie described. Then use the on-board pump to get the water circulating and if there are frozen areas at the lower end, hopefully they would work lose. Hope this helps.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:11 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We always fill the fresh water tank before a night freeze. Last winter in TN we had some pretty cold weather and even after disconnecting we got a bit of a freeze problem, but it was in the service bay area. I put the Pelonis under the stairs pointed at the back side of the service bay and set it on low. About fifteen minutes of that and we were up and running again. Heating the service front (outside)of the panel panel hasn't worked for us. You need to get the heat on the plumbing and if you get the heater under the stairs it is a direct shot to all the incoming plumbing and water pump. Not sure what rig you have but this usually the case... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Back when I was drilling water wells I used hot water many times to thaw pumps, hoses etc. It is surprising how quick a cup of hot coffee poured slowly over a frozen faucet would thaw the ice. This too depends how extreme the cold is.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I had almost the same thing happen to me it turned out to be the supply line from the park were frozen, I always carry a propane torch and heat the steel pipe and hose bib it worked for me, OH dont try this on PVC pipes you might encounter a problem.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Thanks All,
Well Elco [Brrrr]NV is in our dust it's once again evening and we are snow et up in Salt Lake. The temps tonight will be approx 20F. Today we made the 245 mile trek while running the furace at 65F. The outside temps reached 35. So, when we tried the park water again just to see if we; A] -had circulation now, or B] -had bursted plumbing-we got good news. I guess the Keystone good fairy was with us because the darn water thing worked and there was no damage to old Monty's PVC innards. So, I got lucky. But most importantly most of you gave me sage advice for cold weather from here on out; We will always use the on board tank and skip the park plumbing when the temps dip.
I see a nice morning hot shower in my near future without leaving the confines of our portable home.
Thanks again,

Jim -n- Kathy [and Sami the yellow lab.....
Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
It doesn't hurt to leave some of the lower cabinet doors open to allow more heat in these areas. I leave the drawer open over my 12v water pump also in extreme temps.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote