Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #1
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Electric awning

There was a post awhile back on the electric awnings, some saying they were a little slow coming in and out after some use, I have noticed mine does not seem to be as fast as it was. Is this a problem that needs to be addressed or just the nature of the beast ? Maybe some lube on the hinges, other than that I don't see much you can do with them except use them and hope for the best. Maybe someone has had a problem and knows some preventive maintenance . Thanks

PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Mine is still acting up. The dealer couldn't find the source of the problem last time I had it in. They have ordered a new motor, but I am not taking it in until the end of the season (late October). My rig has spent too much time sitting in the shop already this season.

I'll post when they fix it.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
There have been recent topics complaining about the automatic awnings. We'd have to do a search to find them. The consensus is to hope it works until if fails and that they are unreliable and to expect that they will fail. What an unfortunate stance to take but the posts here are kind of showing the same operation.

If the automatic function fails is there a manual override and can the automatic awning be operated manually?

This seems like another unfortunate new feature that is not panning out and another example of paying RV customers not getting what they think they are paying for long term. Besides Montanas how prevalent is this occurrence with SOBs?

Bummer.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

There have been recent topics complaining about the automatic awnings. We'd have to do a search to find them. The consensus is to hope it works until if fails and that they are unreliable and to expect that they will fail. What an unfortunate stance to take but the posts here are kind of showing the same operation.

If the automatic function fails is there a manual override and can the automatic awning be operated manually?

This seems like another unfortunate new feature that is not panning out and another example of paying RV customers not getting what they think they are paying for long term. Besides Montanas how prevalent is this occurrence with SOBs?

Bummer.

It is a great feature ,after having manual awnings for years, the automatic is a welcome feature . Wind comes up fast there is no panic to get them in. I was hoping there would be more replies on them ,and if they are prone to failure. I guess here on the MOC they are working okay ,but slow. Mine works fine just a bit slower coming in. You asked can they be retracted manually, hope so if the motor fails . Maybe someone on the MOC has some answers
Old 08-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
The manual included with mine show two methods to get in if there is a problem.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Don't have one myself, but could it be related to the temperature of the awning fabric? Cooler = stiffer = slower?
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Some of these power awnings are Carefree and some are A&E. Which brand is giving folks the trouble?
A&E is on my unit. Has worked great so far. I've rolled it in and out about 50 times. With the remote control it is a feature you shouldn't be without!
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by iowaone

The manual included with mine show two methods to get in if there is a problem.
Those manuals can be a wonderful thing, I should read more of them, I was thinking about it but didn't read it. Guess I will get off my lazy rear and read it . Thanks much.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We love ours so far. Terrie would never have put the awning out if I wasn't around. Now it's a push of a button. If the wind or weather comes up, no need to go outside in the weather. Just hit the button. This isn't a brand new feature. It's been around for awhile, just not on Montana's.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #10
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I was not too sure at first if I liked it, but now I wouldn't want to be without it.The only problem I had was once I couldn't get it to go out only about half way. I checked to see if my batteries were dead. Then I notice DW hollering at me. The awing was up against a big tree I couldn't see from where I was. I am so thankful the bark was smooth and no damage was done.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:11 AM   #11
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Mine is A & E. Definitley not temperature related as it has been nothing but hot here all summer. Well, I guess it could be related in the opposite manner that was suggested!

Convenience aside, I'm definitely not a fan of the electric and kind of hope it fails and has to be replaced so I can bargain for a manual awning. Around here, most of the time it gets breezy is when rain is coming. Kind of defeats the purpose of an awning when I have to roll it in and all of my mats and chairs get soaked!

By the way, the manual override involves removing a screw, using the strap provided by the dealer to ease the awning back in, then getting on the roof and replacing the screw. Not sure who though of that one, but I imagine a lot of folks aren't too keen about climbing on the roof and laying on their belly to replace a screw! I really hope mine fails in the "in" position!
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:18 AM   #12
TMerrell
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7988
The slowing of my awning seems to be electric related. I posted the same question about a month ago. At the time, I was at the house and the camper was hooked to 15 AMP service. The next week we were hooked up to 50 AMP service and the awning retraction was noticeably faster. I'm not sure if the battery is going bad or if the higher AMP connection allowed to converter to operate better.
TMerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:23 AM   #13
epask
Established Member

M.O.C. #9460
We love ours. It's the AE awning and works really well. I think it's a great feature.
epask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:09 PM   #14
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
I have been a little back and forth on whether I really like the electric or not. At this point I would order it again if I had a choice. I could not find anything that says not to strap it down so I do not worry so much about the wind not. I just to do tighten the straps too much and it seems to work find.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:07 PM   #15
Ruth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8424
We've been using ours for a year -- many times in and out. It works great and we love it. Especially me since I can put it in and out with a push of the button without DH help!
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:49 PM   #16
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
A friend just got a new mountianeer with one and the only problem is it rubs the top of the door when the door opens an closes. he dont know what to do about it. I think he just needs to join here and ask the experts. I will ck on that this week.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #17
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Our awning works fine. The only thing is it leaks back on the roller and water comes back on the inside of the roller. Never had this problem with the others. How do you stop that? Have a good day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #18
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scductman

A friend just got a new mountianeer with one and the only problem is it rubs the top of the door when the door opens an closes. he dont know what to do about it. I think he just needs to join here and ask the experts. I will ck on that this week.
bobby
Bobby, I had the same problem on a TT we previously owned. Bought a bracket that screwed on the top of the door and had a nylon roller on the top of the bracket. When the door was opening the roller would engage against the bottom of the awning. Reduced the risk of the square corner of the door tearing the awning. Think we got it at CW. Jim C.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #19
Joeagrant
Established Member

M.O.C. #9499
FYI. Dometic is furninshing free of charge, what they call a "Pitch Kit". It is for the older model 9100 electric awnings and allows you to lower the end of your awning to help the rain run off faster, like you could on the manual awnings. Mine has been ordered. You have to contact a dealer, give them the Model number and Serial number off of the awning arm, and they will send the kit to the dealer. Couldn't get them to send it directly to me. They also told me that tie downs could be used unless the weather really gets bad.
Joeagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #20
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Bobby, ours did the same thing, and I quickly learned to extend the awning all the way out, then "bump" it back in by small hits of the button, until it cleared the corner of the door. Works just fine!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote