Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Montana vs Big Sky

I'm not looking to start a fight but i would like some input from MOC members. We currently have a Montana 2006 - 3500RL and are strongly thinking of upgrading to a Montana 2010 - 3665RE . For those with a Big Sky is the price difference for that floor plan worth it. I have the truck to carry it so that is not an issue. Thanks for any help.

jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
We have a 2009 3665RE and love it. I do like the lighting in the Big Sky though.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I say if you get the Big Sky without outspending what you can afford, it is well worth it. Just the four door refrigerator makes it worth it to me, and the full body paint is icing on the cake. If the difference in price hurts, stay with the Montana. They are pretty awesome too.

I can't tell you the people that stop by our Big Sky to tell us that it is the most beautiful 5th wheel they have ever seen. I just grin but you know what I;m thinking now don't you. ))

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:10 AM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Like Helen said, I love the new paint scheme. I envy those with the new Big Skys for that, but we do have the 4 door fridge in our new 2010 3455SA. There are a lot of other nicities on the Big Sky though.
You have to compare the the two yourself to decide which way to go, if I had the difference, I would have had the paint scheme, BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:15 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If we were to buy new we would upgrade to the Big sky. The big fridge would be well worth it for Helen. There are a lot of nice upgrades in the big sky. A upgrade or a new camper is out of our budget.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
For my floorplan and era, I think the most useful upgrades of the BIG SKY vs the Montana were the extra window above in the kitchen slide, Aluminum Wheels (maybe heavier axles too) and presumably thicker carpet pad and maybe upgraded fabrics and window coverings.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
For me I cannot justify the price difference. As the 4 door fridge is now an option in the Montana that nullifies that argument. The full paint is beautiful but I am totally happy with what came on my Monty.
Like so many of the top end rigs most all of the price is in eye candy and eye candy is not something I need. And Helen, we have also had people tell us our Monty is beautiful.
For me I will stick with the Montana.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
IF we were looking at upgrading, we would seriously consider the Big Sky. Having an '06 3400, there have been many upgrades to the current models. I really love the Hickory interiors, (I know, they are available in all models now), and the painted finish, although it will be interesting to see how thatholds up. The larger capacity and bigger basement would be a welcome addition to the fulltimer. I'm not sure about all the electrical upgrades as it seems like just more to go wrong. I'm glad we are not looking to upgrade at this time and probably won't for a few more years. I haven't priced any of them lately so don't know what the price difference is. Perhaps a "side by side" comparison would be a good thing.....I have heard that Keystone is exploring using an all tile or linoleum floor, this is something we would like to see. I think the carpets they have to use are cheesy, at best.....I think with the double door fridge you give up some counter space and that small window by the range, I may be wrong on this.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Phil... You have a 06 and so do we. Ours was 3 years old May 15th. You mentioned carpets. I figured that we would be replacing the OEM carpet at about the 3 year mark but we are pleasantly surprised that the carpeting is holding up very well. Helen cleans it once a year sometimes twice It looks nearly new even in the high traffic areas and we are not easy on this 3400. Shoes stay on. How is yours holding up. Of course we do not use ours as much as you do being long timers we are living in it 8 to 9 months a year.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We just got our 365RQ Big Sky. We had a 2005 Montana 3400 prior to that. We went with the Big Sky for a few different reasons - leather furniture, painted graphics, gel coated basement doors, and the cantilevered table without the center post. The carpet is a little heavier duty. Many of the items like the side by side fridge were only available in the Big Sky before. Now, they are available in the Montana. You need to decide what is important to you and what you can afford. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks - they need to do what is right for them. As long as it meets your needs and you can afford it it's the right decision. My hunting partner always says - "life's best when you like what you've got". Good luck making the right decision for you.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:53 AM   #11
werhapy
Established Member

M.O.C. #4439
The combined kitchen and living room slideout is a major advantage in the Big Sky. It really opens up the interior space. I hope that is will soon be available in the Montanas.
werhapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:49 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Phil... You have a 06 and so do we. Ours was 3 years old May 15th. You mentioned carpets. I figured that we would be replacing the OEM carpet at about the 3 year mark but we are pleasantly surprised that the carpeting is holding up very well. Helen cleans it once a year sometimes twice It looks nearly new even in the high traffic areas and we are not easy on this 3400. Shoes stay on. How is yours holding up. Of course we do not use ours as much as you do being long timers we are living in it 8 to 9 months a year.
Rich, I think ours is holding up well, carpet seems to be wearing somewhat as we had a 100lb dog when we first got it and now a 65 pounder along with a 20 lb cat. Our shoes are on most of the time also. There is a little fraying on the kitchen slide carpet near the door, where the carpet is binded. Might try and fix this someday. Cathy would like to replace carpet with laminate. We did Pergo in a house in Alaska and swore I would never do it again, BUT, as they say, never say never. When we did our house we had to use the glue and hold it together with straps and tape until it dryed. We had the carpets prof cleaned before leaving Florida this year. Steps into bedroom are probably the worst. Everything else is doing good, this is not to say we are trouble free as we have had nit-noy things go wrong as most do. Decals are doing good also. I did have one very small decal replaced at last falls rally, all others are doing good.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
Feel like we are in a similar situation working on an upgrade.. We sold our Mountianeer last fall and planned to order the Big Sky 365REQ. We loved everything except for the price tag. In February we were just about ready when we learned that Keystone introduced the new 3665RE Montana.. Same floor plan and the BS 365REQ. We then started to have real second thoughts about the Big Sky and leaned back toward the Montana. Now it is already June and we are still on the fence. Although we had not planned on waiting this long, our procrastination is really starting to pay off. The exact same Big Sky we looked at in Feb was being offered for $59K.. now the dealer is ready to let it go for $46,500. Again just about ready to take the plunge, we now find the Montana that was being offered for $49.5K in Feb is being offered at $41,500.

We are now leaning toward the Montana 3665RE; although the price delta between the two has shrunk from almost $10K to just $5K. Looking at the two I must admit, if they were to give me the Montana plus $5K or the Big Sky plus $0, I think I would take the Montana. .. hey maybe we have decided after all

Good luck deciding... Tim
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #14
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
The Montanas are all very nice rigs. But when DH walked into the Big Sky it was all over. Upgraded appliances, heavier carpeting, better quality furniture. Different countertops, cherry cabinets, fancier shower, upgraded TV, aluminum wheels, electric rear stablizers (don`t know if the Montanas have them). It`s all in what you want to spend. Our fridge is a Norcold double door and I don`t know if the Montana option is for the Norcold or Dometic. With all the new features in the new Montanas you will get some of these.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:59 AM   #15
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
We have 2007 Montana 3650 and love it. We have looked at the new Montanas and Big Skys and there are plenty out there to like. It all boils down to what makes you happy and go for it Chuck
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:53 PM   #16
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Pound for pound from what little I know, the Big Sky is an upgraded Montana and probably well worth the price. Sure, you can get some of the Big Sky accessories in a Montana but the Big Sky will probably have better upgrades all around. Big Skys being heavier mean it has better stuff from floors, cabinets, furniture, appliances, etc.

The choice for you would depend on how deep are your pockets. We settled on Montanas because they are less expensive but nice enough to be very happy not that the price tag is no slouch (it was almost as much as my first house). I know that the Big Sky owners are VERY happy with their selection but their budget is also better than mine too.

Big Skys are heavier, too, but since you have an ample TV then it's no problem.

Have fun with your decision. The good news is you can still remain in this forum not as an SOB owner.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:01 AM   #17
grizmt
Established Member

M.O.C. #9642
We have a 2010 340RLQ and I don't know that I'd buy it again. I'm not happy with the quality of construction and while I expect "new coach" bugs I didn't expect this many or the major ones we've had to date. I do wish they'd have put on the same jack system that doubletree uses which is basically the same as a class A rig using 6 independant rams to level. The hickory is not holding up very well, splitting and warping like crazy, both livingroom tables split, 2 doors are splitting and at least one drawer is warping. Both recliners are defective and the wood is cracked. I could go on and on but won't boor y'all... I do have to say Keystone is standing behind it to the max and I'm impressed with them for that!!!! The dealers on the other hand, well that's a story that would take more bandwidth than this site has...
grizmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:47 AM   #18
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
grizmt, I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with the cabinets and tables. I guess we have been pretty lucky.
As far as the leveling system that Mobile Suites uses, you can get that installed on your Big Sky for a price. Speaking of price, our friends in Florida have a M.S. and they got a great deal on theirs, only $95k out the door, compared to a Montana, I'll level mine myself!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:15 AM   #19
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Emmel your so right, the Mobile Suites are nice but for the price, i can get 2 of my montana and still have enought left over for half of another one. wow i think i just have the leveling system added to mine and iam still way ahead. and Grizmt sorry to hear of your troubles i sure hope they get better for you.
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:24 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Big Sky is a beautiful rig, no question.. However..you may not have enough truck..All of the listed 2010 Big Sky's are over 16K gvwr. Way over my 08 F-350 with the 4:10 Diff.Would need the tow boss package with the 4:30 diff if it is still offered. Don't know waht the GM offers???