Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2007, 08:06 AM   #1
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
With mixed emotions .......

Last May we placed our Monty up for adoption with the intent of upgrading to her cousin Big Sky. Over the summer we have been casually looking at other fifth wheel manufacturers, while trying to find a new family for Monty, but kept coming back to our dream coach, the Big Sky. A few weeks ago we drove to Monroe, WI to have the hitch installed in Ron's new truck (the beast). On our return trip home we stopped for a spur of the moment visit to a small, family owned RV dealer.

Well, wouldn't you know, we saw something that tickled our toes. It was dejavu for this nicely equipped coach reminded us so much of the Cambridge (which was our "super" dream). We returned home with lots to think about. For several days and a few restless, sleepless nights in Racine, we tossed and turned, and turned and tossed, should we or shouldn't we. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

After a great deal of thought, it made sense for us, at this time, to trade our Monty for another brand. For an additional few thousand dollars we felt the new coach had more to offer than the Big Sky, and the weight increase of l,400 lbs (GVWR) did not seem that significant. For example: 3 1/4" sidewalls, trail-air suspension and pin box, larger Goodyear tires, 8,000 lb. axles, electric over hydraulic disc brakes, stairwell lighting, double wiper seal gaskets on slide-outs, tougher solid surface counter tops, larger waste, gray and fresh water tanks, hydraulic front and rear jacks, larger and quieter heating/cooling system, painted exterior graphics, padded coach ceiling, etc.

We loved our Monty and she has given us many, wonderful happy memories. She was a big step up from the pop-up camper. Monty served us well with nary a problem. Keystone does build a very good product and felt very confident that if we ever would have had a major issue that Keystone would have stepped up to the plate. Guess we had very stong product loyalty, which contributed to our indeciveness.

So, now our faithful Monty is sitting on a dealer lot awaiting a new family, while our "beast" will be pulling a new "beauty" when we head for the Texas Valley in November.

We would like to reiterate, what has been said many times before, THIS IS THE GREATEST AND BESTEST WEB SITE on the internet. We have benefited so very much through member's willingness to share their ideas, knowledge and experiences. We thank everyone for that. And we hope others too have benefitied from our occasional comments.

The MOC has also afforded us the opportunity to meet many wonderful Monty owners making new friends and acquaintances along the way. Thank you new friends and acquaintances!

And lastly, we encourage those who have never attended a rally to do so - guarantee you will have a great time. The rallies are a wonderful gathering of RV enthusiasts sharing a common bond - MONTY's!

Old habits are hard to break so we will probably continue to blink our lights when passing a Montana on our by-ways and hi-ways. If you don't mind, we would like to continue to hang around this great web site and offer a comment or two when appropriate. Our wishes for continued happy trails and safe travels to all .......

vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Congrats on finding a new coach that fit your "dream"! I hope it also provides you the same happy memories that the Montana did. Safe travels as you head southward this coming winter...and don't be a stranger.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:28 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Good for you. See you in the south.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:11 AM   #4
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I am sure you will be happy with your new beauty. Congratulations.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Vicky, happy to see that you two found a fiver you love. Now spill the beans, what did you buy? If you're not comfortable posting all the details on the forum, please click on my e-mail link and fill me in, OK?

Hope we see you down the road in the future. We wish you all the best with your new camper and pray you always have safe travels.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Vicky, I know exactly what your new beauty is! I just went through her sister at an RV show today. Congratulations!! You have picked a really nice rig and I know you'll love her. Blink if you see us - we are the Montana with fewer graphics. The factory told us a Montana without graphics was called a "snowball", so I guess since we still have our name and side stripes, we are a "snowcone"! Happy trails.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #7
danlinserv
Established Member

M.O.C. #7897
We are Dan & Lin and we just bought Ron & Vicki's Montana! We just talked to them on the phone in Texas and told them how happy we are with their old Monty! Just joined the forum and will look forward to all the postings this winter. Can't wait to get out of Wisconsin after Christmas and go somewhere... Thanks Ron and Vicky for being so kind and so friendly to us. Assured we will treat Monty as well as you did!

Dan & Lin
2006 2500HD w/Duramax
2004 2980RL
danlinserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your rig. We bought a preowned unit our first time around.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Welcome to the forum and we hope you have many happy times in your Montana.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:48 AM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Good for you, I knew as soon as you said the beauty reminded you of the Cambridge what kind of 5er your getting. We will be handing our 2007 Chevy Classic and our wonderful Cambridge over to its new owners tomorrow. We are delivering them to their home Monday. We will spend most of the day with them trying to make the transition easy for them. They are wonderful people. But it will be sad for us leaving the Cambridge. Its easy to replace the Chevy, and we will be picking the 2008 Chevy up this week. But replacing the Cambridge will be very hard. However the type 5th wheel your getting is at the top of our list. Good Luck and GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:58 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Congratulations on your new coach Ron and Vic!

I have walked through quite a few new models out there that I would have to add to my shopping list if we were to trade out again. What is also cool is the new owners came up on the MOC .
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:21 AM   #12
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Welcome, welcome! The more the merrier!
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote