Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Practice and Testing Forum
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2011, 01:54 AM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
map size test

next larger

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hello H. John Kohl

I see you’re able to post the map pictures. Would you tell me where to do this? One of the moderators told me it would be advisable to use the “practice area” where is this?

Thanks

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Phil P,
This area is the practice area. This is where you can post and see what it looks like. I used this area to show the differences in two sizes.

I was helping a member with putting the camping map in his signature. Here is an email with my thoughts to him. Please contact me if you need more help. I am willing to talk you through it on phone too or even design your signature block once I know what you want.

MOC Member
I need to address a few items with you.
1. Any picture or graphic item (gif) displayed in your signature block must be hosted on the WEB some place. The reason is the forum does not host any item it just displays it and pulls the information from designated WEB locations.
2. There are a few places you can use.
a. Tinypic is one that is open to all. I can save the graphic information there and just send you the link. The bad part is only Tinypic owns the info and can delete it any time they desire. For that reason I suggest using one of the free picture web host such as: photobucket or Googels picasa.
b. The nice thing about using one that you log into is you control the images and you can also use them to post photos you take while on the road so others can see them.
3. Here are the instructions on generating your own camping map. This way you can update it when you add more states.
a. Go to this web page: http://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap/
b. Click on the map you want to generate. (USA, Canada, Mexico)
c. Click on the states you want shown.
d. Click on the map size (drop down arrow on the right). Discussion – you need to set the map size. I like the small (198x100) but you can use the Medium(347x175) in your signature box. I do not recommend the Large (495x250). You can see the size of the small (top) and medium(below) on the practice link on the forum:http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43559
e. Click create Map
f. As instructed below map, RIGHT click on map, then click copy image and then save in on your computer. Discussion: I suggest you designate a folder for camping pictures etc. Save it to this folder so you can find it later when needed or you have added new states and need to update.
g. This completes the map generation
4. Upload the graphic or photos to the WEB photo server and then build or edit your signature block.
5. If you want a “busy” signature block like mine I suggest you build your signature as text and post in the practice area where you can see what is happening. Much easier than in the small signature block area.

Here are some questions for you
1. Do you want to use a photo hosting system like photobucket or just the generic Tinypics? Tinypics is easiest but you do not control it and can not find the grapic link if you loose it. If you want to use Photobucket I will talk you through generating an account on it. Then if you give me the login and password I can upload the photos, graphic images and build your initial signature block.
2. What states on the map or generate the map, save it on your computer and then email me a copy of the map.

This should get us started.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote