Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2018, 08:02 AM   #1
Mtnquail
Established Member

M.O.C. #19517
Transmission temp gauge

On my 2017 Ram, with the 6.7 and six speed transmission. The transmission temp gauge in the dash runs at the half way mark on the temp gauge. Whether I am towing or just motoring down the road. When towing on a steep grade the motor temp gauge move to the warmer side but no matter what we are doing the temp stays at the middle. Anyone else have this experience?

Mtnquail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #2
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
What model do you have?
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #3
Mtnquail
Established Member

M.O.C. #19517
Sorry, I thought all models would have the same gauges. I have the Longhorn model.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:38 AM   #4
Travelling Three
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnquail View Post
On my 2017 Ram, with the 6.7 and six speed transmission. The transmission temp gauge in the dash runs at the half way mark on the temp gauge. Whether I am towing or just motoring down the road. When towing on a steep grade the motor temp gauge move to the warmer side but no matter what we are doing the temp stays at the middle. Anyone else have this experience?
My Chevy dually does the same thing, I've read or been told the xmission is designed to run at a certain temp to burn off any condensation in the xmission oil and within itself. My temps run around 210 degrees under no load.
Travelling Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #5
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
The temps on my DIC digital readout for both the tranny and engine fluctuate based on usage. Both are within the norms.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:50 PM   #6
Mtnquail
Established Member

M.O.C. #19517
My ram dealer said the same. But it seems to me that when pulling a 10k plus rv over the sierras or siskiyous you should normally see a change in the pointer. It goes to the mid position and stays there. I am maybe overly concerned the sending unit or gauge sticks, and not showing the increase in temp.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
This goes for Ford, Ram, and Chevy. They are Id 10 T gages. They aren’t real gages they are idiot gages. They are programmed to not move very much and will only show hot when your transmission is almost or is to hot. They are programmed that way so people won’t go back to their dealer because they think their transmission is about to get to hot. You can get real gages that will show the correct temperatures either analog or digital.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I would be very surprised to learn my digital temperature gauges on my 2015 (and newer) Ford are lying to me. They definitely change a lot when towing.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:16 PM   #9
Mtnquail
Established Member

M.O.C. #19517
That is what bothers me. The boost gauge changes, engine temp changes. Depending upon load I expect my gauges to reflect how hard the truck is working to keep me from harming some part of it. Having worked in powerhouses for 30 plus years, gauges and indicators are important. I watch them and try to interpret the information they provide. So if anyone has a 2017 with the transmission temp gauge above the turbo boost gauge , I would enjoy hearing from you and what you have observed. Thanks in advance and this is a wonderful forum for gathering information.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
If nothing else contact Dodge Truck Customer Service and ask them if this is normal. A lot of times the dealers service reps don't really know what is going on and only the diesel mechanic/s for the dealer really knows what is normal and what is not. This is why I go past the service reps when I have a problem with my truck and go right to the diesel mechanics at the dealer. I always ask a service rep to take me out to the mechanic so they also know what to say if someone else asks a similar question on their unit. So I guess besides the mechanics here on the Forum you have two other choices- Dodge Customer Service or the actual mechanics that work on your unit at the dealership. Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:25 PM   #11
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
On my 14 GMC the dash gauge reacts very slowly and you really can not get an accurate temp. However if you scroll though the dic you can bring up a digital temp with real time #s.

I also have a Mini max that displays trans temp as well. The 2 almost always are with in 1 degree.

Normal temp, who knows. Is it 95 out or 20. Are you towing or not ?
I have seen temps as high as 225 while pulling up a long grade.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:37 PM   #12
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Mlh hit the nail on the head. On my '08 F350 the tranny temp gauge never moved. I added an after market gauge and watch the temp go up and down as conditions changed. The stock needle never moved.
Personally I strongly recommend a REAL gauge for tranny, oil pressure/temp, and anything else you want to monitor.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:15 PM   #13
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnquail View Post
My truck is similar. You should be able to scroll through various gauges from the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel. One of which will be a trans temp gauge that reads in degrees, not a scale. My temp stays fairly stable unless we are moving slow and steep preventing airflow through the cooler. Rams have very good cooling capability so temps don't fluctuate much. My Ford and Chevy required extra coolers to get the results the Ram gets.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #14
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
I would be very surprised to learn my digital temperature gauges on my 2015 (and newer) Ford are lying to me. They definitely change a lot when towing.
Same here. Mine always run east and west of mid points as towing load and elevations change.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #15
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
This goes for Ford, Ram, and Chevy. They are Id 10 T gages. They aren’t real gages they are idiot gages. They are programmed to not move very much and will only show hot when your transmission is almost or is to hot. They are programmed that way so people won’t go back to their dealer because they think their transmission is about to get to hot. You can get real gages that will show the correct temperatures either analog or digital.
Lynwood
Not true on my 2017 Ford. The tranny gage will move as the temp goes up. Once it gets to 218 degrees the temp will show up above the gage.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:51 PM   #16
Mtnquail
Established Member

M.O.C. #19517
I swapped positions of my turbo and transmission temps gauges. Nothing about the readings changed. Both are similar to bar graphs but as I scrolled thru all the possibilies I did not find a read out that gave me degrees for the transmission temp. Maybe the question to ask is does anyone know what the sending unit looks like and how it works? Is it the type of sending unit I could put in water and heat the water to show an increase of temp at the gauge? Or other suggestions?
Old 11-18-2018, 08:57 PM   #17
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I have a 2017 and can also scroll thru and get an actual temerature readout.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:52 PM   #18
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
If you don't have a fancy display, you can get one of these for $11

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then get the Torque Pro app on your phone or tablet for about $4

You will be able to see a ton of information, scan for codes, and reset codes. I installed custom PID's (downloaded for free) that give a lot of extra info for the Ford 6.7; probably also available for GM & Dodge.

The app saved my bacon when I was stuck on the side of the road with a fuel filter problem.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:03 AM   #19
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
If you don't have a fancy display, you can get one of these for $11

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then get the Torque Pro app on your phone or tablet for about $4

You will be able to see a ton of information, scan for codes, and reset codes. I installed custom PID's (downloaded for free) that give a lot of extra info for the Ford 6.7; probably also available for GM & Dodge.

The app saved my bacon when I was stuck on the side of the road with a fuel filter problem.

I have one. Mine isn’t the exact brand but it does the same thing. If you get one just make sure it will work with your IPhone if you have an iPhone, some will some will not. If I remember correctly the IPhone will not hook up to these in Bluetooth for reasons that were above my pay grade. You will need one that transmits in WIFI.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:49 PM   #20
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
As stated above, go thru the menu and see exactly what your trans temp is.

I have the Asian trans and it doesn't fluctuate but a few degrees if any.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote